Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions on how to get ECT sensor disconnected. It is really tight on my car and I can't get to the release to unsnap it. 2022 MDX.
thanks

·
Registered
149 Posts
I looked up VCMtuner II and it says it's for cars up to 2021 so are you sure this will even work? The VCM has been great over the years that I don't even notice it activate. I will say that I had it deactivated on a previous car via SVCM and later down the road it caused more issues such as rougher shifting and a check engine light that was related to thermostat. I removed it and threw it away and the car drove great ever since. I only bought it because everyone talked about how bad the VCM was and put it on when the car was new.

Do you have a link for the one you are using?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked up VCMtuner II and it says it's for cars up to 2021 so are you sure this will even work? The VCM has been great over the years that I don't even notice it activate. I will say that I had it deactivated on a previous car via SVCM and later down the road it caused more issues such as rougher shifting and a check engine light that was related to thermostat. I removed it and threw it away and the car drove great ever since. I only bought it because everyone talked about how bad the VCM was and put it on when the car was new.

Do you have a link for the one you are using?
It will work on 3.5 vetec engines from Honda group MDX 2013+ This latest version has logic that compensates for temperature variables without resistor change. It has electronic safeguards if coolant exceeds 215 degrees. At that point the system then reverts to the cars normal operating system and displays real temperature.
Its on the car and is working fine at this point so we will see.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It will work on 3.5 vetec engines from Honda group MDX 2013+ This latest version has logic that compensates for temperature variables without resistor change. It has electronic safeguards if coolant exceeds 215 degrees. At that point the system then reverts to the cars normal operating system and displays real temperature.
Its on the car and is working fine at this point so we will see.
Can you link the one you purchased? Did you notice any improvements or none?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a link
Can you link the one you purchased? Did you notice any improvements or none?
I just went to their home page vcmtuner.com and selected the product that was most advanced ($129). It also has two additional wires that allow 2 options to be activated if you choose.
I just installed the device on Wednesday 9/15. Initial test drive was uneventful and everything worked well. The car did seem more responsive but this may have been a placebo effect and wishful thinking. I have modified several of my Corvettes and you have to be cautious on what you did actually achieved anything in the end.
The bottom line for me is that I want a full time 6 cylinder car. If I wanted fewer cylinders I would have bought one with less. I have modified my V8 GMC to eliminate the Active Fuel Management and have actually increased my mpg and the hunt and clunk of the transmission when the AFM deactivates as you are slowing down. It is my anticipation and hope that the same will be realized on my MDX.
Honda was sued in 2013 for engine issues revolving around the working of this system and associated engine problems that it created. GM is also aware of the issues of lifter collapse and oil burning so when I can act to ensure better performance and reliability I will seek a solution.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Here is a link

I just went to their home page vcmtuner.com and selected the product that was most advanced ($129). It also has two additional wires that allow 2 options to be activated if you choose.
I just installed the device on Wednesday 9/15. Initial test drive was uneventful and everything worked well. The car did seem more responsive but this may have been a placebo effect and wishful thinking. I have modified several of my Corvettes and you have to be cautious on what you did actually achieved anything in the end.
The bottom line for me is that I want a full time 6 cylinder car. If I wanted fewer cylinders I would have bought one with less. I have modified my V8 GMC to eliminate the Active Fuel Management and have actually increased my mpg and the hunt and clunk of the transmission when the AFM deactivates as you are slowing down. It is my anticipation and hope that the same will be realized on my MDX.
Honda was sued in 2013 for engine issues revolving around the working of this system and associated engine problems that it created. GM is also aware of the issues of lifter collapse and oil burning so when I can act to ensure better performance and reliability I will seek a solution.
Thanks, can you keep this thread updated on your driving experiences and what you noticed when this installed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, can you keep this thread updated on your driving experiences and what you noticed when this installed?
As requested I am updating my most recent experience with using the VCMtuner II on my new 2022 MDX Advance.
The install was routine and about a seven minute job. I drove the car locally for two days without issue and then proceeded to take it on a drive to watch my grandson play high school football. The roads used were entirely interstate (I-44) from eastern Oklahoma to the St. Louis area. The mileage was 320 miles each way. The weather was warm in the low 90's and the terrain was a combination of flat and small rolling hills. The road conditions were dry with little wind.
The mpg I experienced was 25.5 going east and 26.7 coming west on the return trip for an average of 26.1 mpg. The drive was smooth and the car ran great. Acceleration was good and there were no transmission issues at all. The car accelerated and shift changes were as one would expect when passing and when slowing down.Cruise control was utilized and was set between 73 and 75 mph.
Overall the experience was excellent and the investment was worth it. It truly made the car more responsive and drive more smoothly. I learned that the 3.5 liter engine lovers 93+ octane (we only have 91 in OK) fuel and if you can use ethanol free gas you will get even better fuel mileage. This was the experience. I will only update this thread if things start to go wrong.

·
Registered
149 Posts
As requested I am updating my most recent experience with using the VCMtuner II on my new 2022 MDX Advance.
The install was routine and about a seven minute job. I drove the car locally for two days without issue and then proceeded to take it on a drive to watch my grandson play high school football. The roads used were entirely interstate (I-44) from eastern Oklahoma to the St. Louis area. The mileage was 320 miles each way. The weather was warm in the low 90's and the terrain was a combination of flat and small rolling hills. The road conditions were dry with little wind.
The mpg I experienced was 25.5 going east and 26.7 coming west on the return trip for an average of 26.1 mpg. The drive was smooth and the car ran great. Acceleration was good and there were no transmission issues at all. The car accelerated and shift changes were as one would expect when passing and when slowing down.Cruise control was utilized and was set between 73 and 75 mph.
Overall the experience was excellent and the investment was worth it. It truly made the car more responsive and drive more smoothly. I learned that the 3.5 liter engine lovers 93+ octane (we only have 91 in OK) fuel and if you can use ethanol free gas you will get even better fuel mileage. This was the experience. I will only update this thread if things start to go wrong.
Thanks for the update! Now I just want to confirm, that the smoothness is only from highway driving, I'm pretty sure vcm activates around 45 mph. With that being said, did you notice a difference without it previously?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the update! Now I just want to confirm, that the smoothness is only from highway driving, I'm pretty sure vcm activates around 45 mph. With that being said, did you notice a difference without it previously?
There was some noticeable transmission gear searching when increasing or decreasing speed during the first 800 miles of break in. I attributed this to the combination of the cylinder activation system and transmission making adjustments. This has been eliminated from what I can perceive.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There was some noticeable transmission gear searching when increasing or decreasing speed during the first 800 miles of break in. I attributed this to the combination of the cylinder activation system and transmission making adjustments. This has been eliminated from what I can perceive.
Thanks, how long did it take for you to get the item once ordered? I emailed them last week and haven't heard back.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, how long did it take for you to get the item once ordered? I emailed them last week and haven't heard back.
My order was confirmed on 9/8, shipped 9/9 and received 9/14. I installed on 9/15 and my long trip for the review was on 9/17-9/18.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts