Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I used Paragon Acura, the staff is nice there, but I don't like the services, after replacing the TC, my car start having the chirping noise when turning the heat on, first they said it was the driver belt, they re position the belt, noice reduces a little, but still there. Second is when I asks them to check on the rain sensor wiper system, they broke the wires of my rear view mirror, it stayed dim all the time and the pilot light never comes on again, later they fix the auto diming function, but they couldn't fix the pilot light problem, maybe I was just having back luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used Paragon Acura, the staff is nice there, but I don't like the services, after replacing the TC, my car start having the chirping noise when turning the heat on, first they said it was the driver belt, they re position the belt, noice reduces a little, but still there. Second is when I asks them to check on the rain sensor wiper system, they broke the wires of my rear view mirror, it stayed dim all the time and the pilot light never comes on again, later they fix the auto diming function, but they couldn't fix the pilot light problem, maybe I was just having back luck.
I've had ok luck with Paragon. They've done a few things for me under warranty that weren't really supposed to be covered.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes, the service advisers r cool and nice there, they replaced my rear view mirrors for 3 times, lol, but it still not fixing the pilot light problem, they replaced the high pressure fuel pump for me when my basic warranty is expired.
I've had ok luck with Paragon. They've done a few things for me under warranty that weren't really supposed to be covered.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Yes, the service advisers r cool and nice there, they replaced my rear view mirrors for 3 times, lol, but it still not fixing the pilot light problem, they replaced the high pressure fuel pump for me when my basic warranty is expired.
The fuel pump is covered for 6 years or 70,000 miles

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The fuel pump is covered for 6 years or 70,000 miles
I checked the warranty booklet, it says that too, but when I called them the first time, they said fuel pump is only cover in basic warranty, lol, and later they called me back says they will do it for me anyway.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I checked the warranty booklet, it says that too, but when I called them the first time, they said fuel pump is only cover in basic warranty, lol, and later they called me back says they will do it for me anyway.
How nice of them. Doing warranty work.

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
I installed my VCM tuner 2 yesterday. Pretty painless and NVH is definitely way down and it’s much more responsive (though still slow to downshift occasionally). Jury is still out on whether it helps with the transmission issues, but no odd shifts thus far. I’ll report back after I’ve had some more time to drive in various conditions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The MDX does seem to have fewer, if any, hesitation events - It drives smoothly now. The mileage hit is pretty small; I don't notice it but it wouldn't surprise me if I am down 1 mpg or so. I thought about adding a defeat switch but whatever fuel economy advantage that may regain just isn't worth the trouble.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Last post was over a year ago. Any long term use updates from those of you that installed this?
To be honest, the biggest benefit to me is it eliminates the clunk when braking to a complete stop, before, I always experience a cluck from 3rd to 2nd gear, also 2nd to 1st gear, they are gone. Until now, it's been over a year after using it, no CFL, nothing, and I never thought of taking it off, I guess I suffer around 1-2 mpg during highway cruising, and 1 mpg in the city, not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
The MDX does seem to have fewer, if any, hesitation events - It drives smoothly now. The mileage hit is pretty small; I don't notice it but it wouldn't surprise me if I am down 1 mpg or so. I thought about adding a defeat switch but whatever fuel economy advantage that may regain just isn't worth the trouble.
True, I was thinking to add a switch, but it has to go thru the firewall, I give up.

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
I removed mine shortly after the transmission firmware update solved most of my issues and found I didn't miss it for the most part. It does effect gas mileage to the tune of 1-2MPG. I too had considered installing the defeat switch, but as others indicate, getting through the firewall is not a trivial matter on the 3rd generation MDX.

If anyone is looking to try it, I'd be willing to part with mine for a few bucks. Hit me up in PM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I added a defeat switch to mine. I used a CR-V fog light switch from ebay and popped it in the blank next to the LDW. It was a perfect fit dimensions wise, it's just squared and doesn't curve down like the other two switches.

Through a search here I found someone added some wiring through the hood latch wire hole. The grommet was tight but the wire was thin enough to squeeze it through, then I fished it through the fender and into the engine compartment.

Mine didn't have the tranny issues with VCM but rather the engine vibrations which I was experiencing at speeds as low as 25-30mph. So I turn the VCM off on the surface roads and the engine feels smooth as butter but then back on when highway driving since the vibrations are not noticeable at high speeds. Kinda sucks to have to do this for a $50k vehicle but it is what it is, I guess.

Personally, I felt like the MDX was specifically designed to operate with the VCM on, so at least during highway driving it can operate "normally" and while on local roads I can turn it off to run smoother.

·
Registered
33 Posts
To be honest, the biggest benefit to me is it eliminates the clunk when braking to a complete stop, before, I always experience a cluck from 3rd to 2nd gear, also 2nd to 1st gear, they are gone. Until now, it's been over a year after using it, no CFL, nothing, and I never thought of taking it off, I guess I suffer around 1-2 mpg during highway cruising, and 1 mpg in the city, not a big deal to me.
Hey, any idea if the SVCM would resolve the same issue?... The clunk from 2nd to 1st gear is driving me crazy for 2 years now.

·
Super Moderator
177 Posts
Hey, any idea if the SVCM would resolve the same issue?... The clunk from 2nd to 1st gear is driving me crazy for 2 years now.
The SVCM is basically a clone of the VCM Tuner 2. It uses a microcontroller to tell the ECU that the vehicle is running slightly under optimal temperature, monitors for potential overheating issues (and disables itself if need be). The other products on the market are static resistor packs that can't account for any abnormal conditions and thus don't work consistently.

If you're going to disable VCM, I'd do it with one of these two products. Do be aware that in the MDX (at least in my 2019), the positive wire has to be extended slightly so that the VCM Tuner 2 can be mounted perpendicular to the ground (necessary to ensure the accelerometer is properly detecting vehicle motion). The modification is simple enough for the VCM Tuner 2 -- judging by the pics of the SVCM, I can't really tell if that would need a similar modification (doesn't look like it).

21 - 36 of 36 Posts