Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I found this forum and I'm hoping with all your collective knowledge you all could possibly help me.

I have a 2008 Acura MDX that I bought from a friend's Mom. It's in pretty excellent condition–it was garage kept, it has about 109k gentle miles on it. She pretty much only drove it to work and back/to the grocery store etc. in the suburbs. Recently though I've been noticing various electrical problems.

A few days ago the cigarette lighter died.
A couple months ago the trunk stopped working/being unlocked on it's own and only unlocks if I also unlock the rear right side door which also doesnt respond to the FOB or the unlock button and I have to manually reach back and flip the switch to unlock it.
The backseat lights dont work
Also sometimes it sounds like while I'm driving I can hear the locks lock by itself repeatedly but not always.

Initially I was planning on buying new electrical components for the rear door and trunk but after the cigarette lighter went out–now i'm wondering if this is indicative of some sort of larger electrical failing
I've been googling and cant find anyone with my specific problems
I'm wondering if there's anyone who can help.

Thank you so much. I love my MDX and would like to see it last for more years.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Common issue with the electrics going wonky for 3 reasons:

1. Bad drivers door harness from the door to the car. The wires break after so many years of opening and closing the door. Took me 20 minutes to fix and about $50 thanks to a youtube video and the DIY's on the 2nd Gen 2007-2013 MDX section.

2. Water in the driver side fuse box, this can happen from water leaking by windshield or another place.

3. Water leak in the rear hatch/trunk fuse box. This is on the drivers rear of the MDX and you'll see a little carpeted rectangle covering the fuse panel. Check for moisture/rust. If there is any signs of water, it's most likely coming from near the hinges on the top of the rear hatch where it connects to the body or along the body seams on the roof under the rear hatch.

I hope your issue is #1 because it really is a simple fix that takes care of a lot of unrelated issues at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Common issue with the electrics going wonky for 3 reasons:

1. Bad drivers door harness from the door to the car. The wires break after so many years of opening and closing the door. Took me 20 minutes to fix and about $50 thanks to a youtube video and the DIY's on the 2nd Gen 2007-2013 MDX section.

2. Water in the driver side fuse box, this can happen from water leaking by windshield or another place.

3. Water leak in the rear hatch/trunk fuse box. This is on the drivers rear of the MDX and you'll see a little carpeted rectangle covering the fuse panel. Check for moisture/rust. If there is any signs of water, it's most likely coming from near the hinges on the top of the rear hatch where it connects to the body or along the body seams on the roof under the rear hatch.

I hope your issue is #1 because it really is a simple fix that takes care of a lot of unrelated issues at the same time.
I checked the door harness today because I saw that same video, no wires were broken as far as I could see but the black wire DID have some copper exposed and part of me wondered if it could've shorted or something. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I checked the door harness today because I saw that same video, no wires were broken as far as I could see but the black wire DID have some copper exposed and part of me wondered if it could've shorted or something. What do you think?
Chances are if 1 wire is broken there are other that are also broken from them rubbing against each other for 13 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts