Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
If you set your stereo to a particular volume, some will play louder than others, simply because of the levels at which they were recorded. That's natural. And obviously, many songs have some spots louder than others.

I'm assuming you mean your MDX either plays them erratically or at substantially different levels than another stereo. True?

Does the same CD play the same levels twice, or is it different from time to time, or different every time?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Some CDs sound louder than other

There are reason why you are experiencing this:

With digital technology today... A lot of people think that just because they purchase music on a CD that the sounds will be louder or crispier. That is not the case at all.

Music are written and recorded on certain formats on CDs. DDD which is Digital in pre production, Digital in processing and Digital in post production. ADD is Analog in Pre production, Digital in processing and Digital in Post. AAD is Analog, Analog and Digital...So as you can see...this is where you get the differences in clarity and definition of the sound. It is all really on the original source of the music.

Another variable is the CD player or the audio hardware itself...The Acura OEM CD player is a good player OEM by Alpine..but the DOES NOT have DSS...Digital Signal Source processing allows the audio source to be enhanced via Artificial Intelligence by detecting whether the CD is either in DDD, ADD or AAD. And from there remastering the binary codes and redistributing the codes again through the CD player for better enhanced sounds... Many of todays home entertainment CD players and even high end mobile CD players have this technology feature.

So there you go...hope that helps with your dilemma with how you are experiencing your music using certain CDs that you have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VARIATION IN VOLUME IN CD'S

JONNYGOODBOY-thanks for ur reply. The variation in volume is apparent in the MDX only, not home based audio systems. In the MDX the volume goes from "blasting you out" of the car to "cannot hear it" within one track and one CD. The volume level (soft/loud) is the same each time the CD is played. This variation does not occur with all CD's. Thanks. Larmarhazz @aol.com

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Get the latest nero, rip you cds. Make you compilations of the songs you want, when you burn them normalize them and you wont have to always have to reach for the volume.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Do you have a Navi?

Do you have a Navi? If you do, it could be the "culprit," and you could be looking at something working the way it's supposed to.

Here's how the Navi could be involved: If you have a destination programmed into the Navi, every so often (say, when you approach a freeway interchange), the Navi will give you a voice prompt. When it gives you the voice prompt, it automatically turns down the volume on the stereo, so you can better hear the Navi. After the prompt, it restores the stereo to its previous volume. If your stereo is on loud enough, even when the Navi turns it down you might not hear the Navi. You just hear the volume "inexplicably" decrease for a few moments.

I hope that's what it is, 'cause that's normal operation; otherwise, it sounds like you have problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Base Headunit vs. add-on cd changer

I have a similar compliant (variation of loudness), but rather toward the systems.

A Kenwood 10-disc cd changer was added last year. When I switched between the single disc head unit and the changer, I HAVE TO turn up or down the volume, accordingly. Apparently, the changer generates a much better sound quality and loudness than the head unit. I bet is the difference on over-sampling issue between the two.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Base Headunit vs. add-on cd changer

Hookem said:
I have a similar compliant (variation of loudness), but rather toward the systems.

A Kenwood 10-disc cd changer was added last year. When I switched between the single disc head unit and the changer, I HAVE TO turn up or down the volume, accordingly. Apparently, the changer generates a much better sound quality and loudness than the head unit. I bet is the difference on over-sampling issue between the two.
Over-sampling rate has nothing to do with audio level. The fact the outboard changer is better is no great news to me.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Variations in Volume

Have you noticed the volume control buttons on the steering wheel?

Maybe you are riding along tapping your fingers to the music and adjusting the volume as you go !!

Just a joke-not serious. :twak:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts