Valves done at dealer [ i would never attempt it myself...]
done in 2017 at 132k km or 82k miles
my 2c
J.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
I adjusted mine at 125K miles, there where just a few valves out of spec, not by much though. The engine ran smoother after adjustment. I normally go for the center recommended range value of adjustment.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I adjusted mine at 125K miles, there where just a few valves out of spec, not by much though. The engine ran smoother after adjustment. I normally go for the center recommended range value of adjustment.
I hope you can write a very detailed guide next time. I shall do it together with my 2nd spark plug change if spark plugs have to come out. Do people do this together with cleaning EGR passage stuff?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i usually go with the looser end of the adjustment because in all my years of experience i found that as the valve seat wears the clearance gets tighter

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I adjusted valves on my son's 03 mdx at 185K miles because I thought some might be out of spec, no missing. I found 2-3 exhaust valves < spec and 1-2 intake valves were similar. Most were good. It's still running fine at 230K.

good luck

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
i usually go with the looser end of the adjustment because in all my years of experience i found that as the valve seat wears the clearance gets tighter
I don't understand this well. Can you explain? If the seat wears down and clearance decreases, why is it a problem? W/o adjusting, the valve will go to the factory lift if the only problem is the seat wear.

·
Registered
961 Posts
As clearance decreases, at some point the valve will not seat properly. This causes loss of compression through leakage, as well as exhaust valve overheating because the heat from the valve cannot transfer to the seat. Since the seat is part of the cylinder head, it offers a lot of mass to cool the valve down. The valve will eventually erode (burn).

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I see. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.