Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, new member here and a owner on 2017 MDX.

Got a tech package for $44,399 + tax OTD here in Bay area, CA.

While I was pretty happy with the price, the dealer also put me in a bit of pressure. I got the 4 year/50K Maintenance package for $1620 and a 7Yr/100K extended warranty for $3.8K.

My question is actually if these two are worth it. I mean, is there a list of maintenance lists that are required at each stage (like 15K, 30K, 45K). From what i see the work needed at each milestone + oil change seems fairly simple and can be done for much cheaper at a regular place.

So i need input from experienced owners out here to suggest me:

1. if the price for pre-paid maintenance is ok. is it even worth getting it, or should I just visit a regular trusted mechanic/honda dealership and do the same services for much cheaper price. I have 30 days to cancel this. So have like 25 days or so left to decide.
2. Extended warranty - never had any issue with my 2003 Acura TL. But this MDX seems a fairly complicated amount of electronics involved. So i'm torn if I need this or not. I can cancel this anytime before 4Yr/50K. Are there any other 3rd party extended warranty available for a lower price and trustworthy? Any inputs would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I've might have spent that amount of money on all 3 Acuras with 385,000 miles between them in the last 11 years not including tires. You still have the 4/50,000 miles bumper-to-bumper, 6/70,000 mile powertrain, and any other extended warranties now or offered later. Routine maint until 50,000 miles is just tire rotations/balance, visual checks, filters, and fluid changes.

Issue I've had with all three were all over the 100,000 mile mark like:
- door lock acutator
- floppy sun visor
- alternator
- power steering pump

100% of everything else under 100,000 miles was covered under the 4/50K, 6/70K, or extended warranties. Most folks would put that money aside and use as needed. Things like engine/cabin filters can be done for cheap if you purchase items on Amazon. I purchase my own oil to take to Acura for service (Mobil 1 syn oil at Walmart $26, Acura $50-$75 for same oil). Discount tires for lifetime rotation/balance. It cost me $26 at Acura for a B12 since I do most of it myself (trading my time for Acura labor).

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
The car is out right now so I can’t check. However,both these prices seem high. At most 7 oil changes and tire rotations. That would be under $700. That would be over $900 for things like differential. It seems high. I will check the paperwork when the car gets back tonight. As far as the warranty,if you choose to have one,I would stick with Acura.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Have not done prepaid maintenance, but had the AcuraCare extended warranty on two MDXs. Your 3,800 seems extremely high. I bought 8 yr/120k with my 2011 Advance for about $1,200. It was the last thing I negotiated and allegedly got it at cost. I can't imagine the price has gone up that much.

I did not use the extended warranty on my 05 MDX, but received about $300 refund when I traded for my 11 MDX. The extended warranty on my 11 Advance has paid for itself with shock replacements, side window motor actuators, and power steering pump.

You did not mention it but I am assuming you mean the AcuraCare warranty. Had a surprise the other day when I went with my son to get his new Subaru Forester. At the Subaru dealer, which is a Hendricks dealer, the finance guy was pitching a Hendricks extended warranty. Said they do not sell the manufacturers' extended warranty, and confirmed that you cannot by a HondaCare warranty at their Honda dealership.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
You did not mention it but I am assuming you mean the AcuraCare warranty. Had a surprise the other day when I went with my son to get his new Subaru Forester. At the Subaru dealer, which is a Hendricks dealer, the finance guy was pitching a Hendricks extended warranty. Said they do not sell the manufacturers' extended warranty, and confirmed that you cannot by a HondaCare warranty at their Honda dealership.
I guess the dealer doesn’t make enough money on the manufacture’s warranty.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
My question is actually if these two are worth it.
By definition, neither is worth it.

The prepaid service locks you into having the dealership perform all service rather than giving you the freedom of having some service done elsewhere or doing some service yourself. I'm a DIYer and find it more convenient to do things like oil and filter changes and tire rotations, at a minimum, myself. The actual cost to do it myself is a small fraction of what they quoted you but that's because their labor rate is sky high.

Extended warranties on anything, including vehicles, are not worth it from a mathematical sense for the vast majority of people who buy them. These are moneymakers for the dealers and sales people which is why you had pressure from them to get it. What you get with them isn't what it appears either since the factory warranty that comes along with the vehicle already covers the majority of the time period, i.e. the 'extended warranty' really only covers the miles/time above the included warranty, and they only cover items that break - not wear items like tires, brakes, filters, and things you're going to have services. On top of that, many of the items, usually the majority, that need a dealer to address, occur early in the life of the vehicle. They like to scare people regarding the electronics like the infotainment but in reality if they're going to flat break they usually would break early on and there haven't really been issues posted here about a spate of these breaking.

My 2014 shawd tech is now beyond the 4 year bumper to bumper warranty and I'm not concerned about it. We'll see if I regret not getting an extended warranty but I never have for anything and it's always worked out in my favor.

If I were you I'd cancel out of both of them. If nothing else - they shouldn't have pressured you like that. If you cancel and later change your mind I'm sure they'd still be more than happy to sell you the packages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have not done prepaid maintenance, but had the AcuraCare extended warranty on two MDXs. Your 3,800 seems extremely high. I bought 8 yr/120k with my 2011 Advance for about $1,200. It was the last thing I negotiated and allegedly got it at cost. I can't imagine the price has gone up that much.

I did not use the extended warranty on my 05 MDX, but received about $300 refund when I traded for my 11 MDX. The extended warranty on my 11 Advance has paid for itself with shock replacements, side window motor actuators, and power steering pump.

Yes, extended Care for up to 7Yrs 100K miles was 3.8K and i was told I can cancel anytime before 4Yr/50K. Even I thought 3.8K was slightly on the higher side. But I signed up for this considering I could cancel anytime. Contacted Honda Corp and asked them for extended Acura Care and they wouldn't sell it. Only place to find is through dealership.

Any useful info as to how I can get this for a lower price? Every dealer out there in Bay area is quoting a huge price. I can understand where they are coming from, cost of living is very high here. that might be a factor, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Yes, extended Care for up to 7Yrs 100K miles was 3.8K and i was told I can cancel anytime before 4Yr/50K. Even I thought 3.8K was slightly on the higher side. But I signed up for this considering I could cancel anytime. Contacted Honda Corp and asked them for extended Acura Care and they wouldn't sell it. Only place to find is through dealership.

Any useful info as to how I can get this for a lower price? Every dealer out there in Bay area is quoting a huge price. I can understand where they are coming from, cost of living is very high here. that might be a factor, but I'm not sure.
Any dealer can sell the warranty. Including on line. There is a sponsor on here that can sell it. I will look for their name. OEMACURAPARTS.com. His name is Tim. I haven’t seen him on here for awhile.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Check the fine print. You may be able to cancel but not for free. I had an extended warranty on my 14. I had 56,000 miles on the car. Never been used. Out of $2,000 paid. I got $800 back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A coworker of mine just bought a base 17, with a 4yr/50k maintenance package for $1000. By just reading your posts, I have a feel you're not a DIYer or doesn't have the time or resources/means to do such. If 4-5 oil changes, couple air filters, a carbin filter, a brake fluid drain/refill, a couple rear diff drain/refills and records of maintenance been done at an authorized Acura dealer are important to you and you feel worth your money, I say ask for a lower price and keep it. I do see some values of maintenance packages (as long as they are not expensive) for some owners, especially when it comes to selling the car later on, or having warranty works done at dealers and they see all maintenance have been done by them. For me personally, I don't buy them.

I would not buy that $3.8k extended warranty. The MDX has always been a very reliable vehicle. Tranny is the weakest-link. And now that Acura is considering offering extended warranty on the ZF, I wouldn't waste any money on extended warranties. The original warranty is sufficient, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I guess the dealer doesn’t make enough money on the manufacture’s warranty.
Hendrick needs the extra money to support his NASCAR race teams.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Any dealer can sell the warranty. Including on line. There is a sponsor on here that can sell it. I will look for their name. OEMACURAPARTS.com. His name is Tim. I haven’t seen him on here for awhile.
I bought the extended warranty for my used 05 from Tim years ago. Look online as well, google "acuracare extended warranty". Curry Acura should show up.

Also, remember that although it will be more money, you can buy the AcuraCare warranty anytime before your original warranty expires.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Check the fine print. You may be able to cancel but not for free. I had an extended warranty on my 14. I had 56,000 miles on the car. Never been used. Out of $2,000 paid. I got $800 back.
Ok,I finally checked my paperwork. Maintenance contract 4 yrs 48,000 miles $1005.
Extended warranty. 7yrs 100,000 miles. $3060.
My car is a hybrid. I don’t know what difference that will make. I assume there is no transfer case.
On a Tech,there are more things that can go wrong. On an Advance,there are even more things. On a hybrid,who knows.
If the battery goes,that pays for itself twice.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
If the battery goes,that pays for itself twice.
That's not the case - the Hybrid battery is warranted for 8 years/ 100K miles already as part of the warranty that comes with the vehicle - which is already better than what the extended warranty provides - i.e. the extended warranty would never be hit for the hybrid battery. A 7yr/100K extended warranty buys you zip as far as the hybrid battery goes.

From the Acura MDX warranty info -
"Hybrid System
Battery Assembly (including all internal components) 8/100 8/100"

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
That's not the case - the Hybrid battery is warranted for 8 years/ 100K miles already as part of the warranty that comes with the vehicle - which is already better than what the extended warranty provides - i.e. the extended warranty would never be hit for the hybrid battery. A 7yr/100K extended warranty buys you zip as far as the hybrid battery goes.

"Hybrid System
Thanks for the info. I missed that. There are still all those extra motors and other things.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts

"Hybrid System
This must be an industry standard. In the buying process for my wife's Lexus ES300h a concern I had was the batteries. 8/100 is the Lexus/Toyota battery warranty as well.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
There are still all those extra motors and other things.
Check out the warranty booklet for this area - there are other components of the hybrid covered under the 8yr/100K mile warranty as well - which is good news for you and others planning to buy the hybrid.

Here's the more complete schedule for the 2017 MDX Hybrid -
http://owners.acura.com/Documentum/...17_MDX_BPL03171_and_Sport_Hybrid_BPL04916.pdf

Hybrid System -
Battery Assembly (including all internal components) 8/100 8/100
Motor Control Module (including software upgrades) 8/100 8/100
Motor Power Inverter Module (including all internal components) 8/100 8/100
Motor Rotor 8/100 8/100
Motor Stator 8/100 8/100

I think the extra long warranties in this area were either forced by some states (California) or otherwise strongly encouraged in order to alleviate consumers' reluctance to buy hybrids due to the high cost of replacing the battery unit - something that someday 'will' have to be replaced. The warranty gives enough confidence that people will buy them since otherwise the ROI on most hybrids would be even less than it already is - enough to tip the scales to the 'not buy' point.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Some parts are covered longer,some are not. I looked mostly at what the extended warranty excludes. It said battery excluded. Except the hybrid battery. So I was happy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts