Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a red 2006 MDX Touring on a front lawn several miles from our home with a for sale sign. Only apparent add-on is an XM radio according to sign. Paint looks too good so I am supposing repaint. Have not talked to owner and the for sale sign does not have a price on it. KBB trade-in is $1200 to 1700. It has 140K miles, which is 145K fewer miles than my 20001 MDX Touring which is getting a bit "untrustworthy". Did the 2006 have the same transmission problems as the 2001? I had to put a rebuilt in ours at about 250K miles. Maybe it would be an acceptable replacement for our 2001 which my wife refuses to drive - the "untrustworthy" syndrome. It's a second car. She has a nice 2012 GMC Acadia.

What's the forum opinion on a 2006 with 140K miles? Only super obvious thing I saw was it needs tires NOW. No apparent sheet metal or glass damage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I recently paid $3k for a loaded 2006 with 128k miles and fresh tires. That was the low end for private party sales in my area. Sounds like a good deal if it doesn't have a lot of rust underneath.

My understanding is the transmission was improved mid 2004, so any 05 or 06 should be good, as long as the in radiator AT cooler has never failed and gotten coolant into the AT.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Hell, the paint might be original. My wife’s 04’ still shines up beautifully. I would check the back hatch below the back window. THAT is a weak spot in the paint (I’ve been told is a weird primer spot that would flake and peel away), if it is a re-spray I’d run and pay for a FULL Carfax looking for accident listings. Run that VIN through 2 different services for any fender benders and look for any title changes. But the trannies were bettered for the 05-06’.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
FWIW, you seldom see cars (at least "decent cars") trading in the real world for KBB private resale values, at least in this part of the country (Arizona). That could be because we don't have any rust problems here, though it's common for cars to have the clear coat burned off instead. In the end, any car is worth whatever the market will bear. I sold my 2004 MDX with almost 250,000 miles for just under $4K, though it WAS in much better than average condition and still presented like a much newer, lower-mileage vehicle.

My personal rule of thumb for my "road trip cars" (read "free from depreciation") is that I like to pay about 10% of the original price for a car in very nice shape (but most likely still in need of some love). I just picked up my latest road trip car for 10% of its original value, even though it had "only" 130,000 miles, and came with a spare set of (nice) wheels with all-season (perfect for road trips to the northeast in winter) tires for that 10% (it's a 2006 BMW 530xi wagon). Needed rear tires, struts, and a few minor fixes like a rear window regulator, but looks at home in the nicest places I'd ever drive it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I forgot to mention about our '01 - it's set up as a "toad" (we tow it behind a motorhome). Just now remembered we had looked at an '06 MDX couple years ago and checked out its towable situation. It is not. Any "beater" we buy has to be towable, so there goes my interest in this '06. Thanks anyhow for the responses. This forum always seems able to handle my MDX questions well. :)

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
IIRC, it was just the '01 and '02 that could be flat-towed (at least without modifications). The list of flat-towable SUVs is pretty slim though - good luck finding one!

·
Registered
444 Posts
My cousin just retired his 2005 MDX Touring (same trans as the 2006), and flat towed it behind his motorhome for 10+ years before securing a smaller GMC Acadia to take over the reigns. Never an issue, and a quick Google search confirms the 2001-2006 MDXs should all be fine to flat tow.

Caveat beginning with the 2006 models, Honda no longer would stand behind flat towing from a warranty standpoint, likely due to procedures not being followed properly on prior years and decided against "ok-ing" it from a warranty perspective.

At this point though, after 14 years, the warranty is long gone anyway. From a functional standpoint, the car should do fine.

"Regarding warranty, here's the story as I understand it from the local Acura Dealer. All MDXs up to and including 2005 were fully warrantee'd for flat towing. For the 2006 model, they didn't make any changes to the transmission, but did not warranty it for flat towing. You can just imagine why -- just too many miscreants screwing up their transmissions while towing, yet claiming they did everything "by the book." But the local dealer was "confidentially confident" that a 2006 Acura MDX could be towed flat without problems."

·
Registered
526 Posts
Re value, to state the obvious, really depends on how it was cared for and driven.

The trans, even in a 05 and 06 seems to be the weak link and if the fluid wasn’t changed regularly to schedule or more frequent, I wouldn’t buy a used one.

That being said, we’ve had our 06 since new and now has about 165K miles. Aside from a few quirks like the sensitivity to valve adjustment, a couple of spark plugs coming loose, TC whine, and radiator/trans line issue when on snow and salted roads, it’s been a generally reliable car. (I follow the severe service schedule and have used synthetic oil since the first change around 5K miles.)

I’ve had to replace the fuel pump and think it’s was a fluke and the head gasket was due to letting the coolant run low and not catching it I’m time.

This forum has been really helpful with the above quirks and problems, and taking care of the radiator as preventive maintenance. Thanks always!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts