Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if using the RES (or even the stereo or the 12V outlets) while the engine is off would cause a huge drain on the battery/alternator. Is it safe to park somewhere and, say, watch a 2hour movie? Would you need to start the engine once in awhile to "charge" the battery? It just kinda sucks to be the driver all the time, and not have a chance to "enjoy" the RES myself, you know? Thanks in advance for your guys' help.

Toper<---MDX newbie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
I think you answered your own question.;) Speaking from experience, the battery died on my X while waxing it. That was only about 2 1/2 hours. Uh... when you would just park and watch a 2 hour movie? Just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,711 Posts
You could calculate the drain...

My guess is this is barely OK. I say based on the fact that only a few laptops can sustain a two+ hour movie without draining the admittedly much smaller but higher tech battery.

http://www.solarsense.com/Spec_Your_System/Run_Times.html

As to hockeyplayer's point, the drain from the dome lights & radio may actually be higher than the drain from RES...


hockeyplayer said:
I think you answered your own question.;) Speaking from experience, the battery died on my X while waxing it. That was only about 2 1/2 hours. Uh... when you would just park and watch a 2 hour movie? Just curious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Don't think it's possible.

I don't know what caused hockeyplayer's battery drain, but I know if I have the navi turned on with the engine turned off, at some point I'll get a warning that system will automatically shut down to conserve power and prevent a dead battery. If an '01 w/ navi does that you must assume an '03 w/ RES will do the same.

Take turns with the little ones. Let them drive while you watch the movie. I'll bet they will enjoy that much more than the movie.:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
Re: Don't think it's possible.

Tom-TX said:
...Take turns with the little ones. Let them drive while you watch the movie. I'll bet they will enjoy that much more than the movie.:2:
I bet they would. :13: :eek: :D
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,109 Posts
Maybe you could with the headphones, probably not the speakers.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
3,109 Posts
desiGuy said:
Headphones don't work in the driving seats, FYI
I'm assuming toper wants to sit in the back so he can see the display.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hockeyplayer said:
Uh... when you would just park and watch a 2 hour movie? Just curious.
You never know...maybe if I'm on a date and the movie we wanted to see at the theater was sold out. So the contingency plan would be to have some dvds ready and park somewhere cozy ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
toper said:


You never know...maybe if I'm on a date and the movie we wanted to see at the theater was sold out. So the contingency plan would be to have some dvds ready and park somewhere cozy ;)
Man, I just read my quote. uh...a dyslexic moment I guess. BTW.. found out my mother was dyslexic...she just joined the group D.A.M. ....Mothers Against Dyslexia. :p..I can't fault you for wanting to spend as much time in your X as possible. Heck I would probably do the same thing if I had res.;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,531 Posts
Re: Using RES while parking

toper said:
Is it safe to park somewhere and, say, watch a 2hour movie?
Just what kind of movie are you and your date watching in the back seat while parking and why does it take 2 hours?:eek: :10: :12:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Re: Re: Using RES while parking

msu79gt82 said:
Just what kind of movie are you and your date watching in the back seat while parking and why does it take 2 hours?:eek: :10: :12:
On another thread, I think someone mentioned that mdxxxx has become synonymous with :19: . I think msu79gt82 has become synonymous with :10: .

I like the way your mind works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,544 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Using RES while parking

jonnygoodboy said:
On another thread, I think someone mentioned that mdxxxx has become synonymous with :19: ...
Hey jonnygoodboy, whatchit... I resemble that remark! :D ;)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top