Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Hybrid Advance and generally use an iPod Touch (Gen 6) to listen to music. When connected by USB (for the best sound), the infotainment system does not allow browsing the contents of the iPod by Playlist, Artist, Album, etc. There is a browse button in the upper right corner just below the Audio Menu button, but the browse button is grayed out, and if you touch it a message comes up, "This function is unavailable while the list is being compiled." In a two-hour experiment, the list was never compiled. Not being able to browse the contents by categories means just listening to music one track at a time, and going back or forwards one track at a time. Since I have about 6300 tracks on this iPod, this is unusable. Oddly, if the iPod is connected only by bluetooth, the browse function works fine, but the sound quality is badly degraded on these 320 KBPS files. In addition, only my Android phone or the iPod can be connected at one time, and I need my phone.

I've posted about this issue for anyone using an iPod with a 2018. I've had the car to the dealer, and they recognize the problem, and are trying to communicate with Acura to rectify the problem with a software update. I hope anyone having the problem will also contact Acura to spur them to attend to the problem.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I have a 2018 Hybrid Advance and generally use an iPod Touch (Gen 6) to listen to music. When connected by USB (for the best sound), the infotainment system does not allow browsing the contents of the iPod by Playlist, Artist, Album, etc. There is a browse button in the upper right corner just below the Audio Menu button, but the browse button is grayed out, and if you touch it a message comes up, "This function is unavailable while the list is being compiled." In a two-hour experiment, the list was never compiled. Not being able to browse the contents by categories means just listening to music one track at a time, and going back or forwards one track at a time. Since I have about 6300 tracks on this iPod, this is unusable. Oddly, if the iPod is connected only by bluetooth, the browse function works fine, but the sound quality is badly degraded on these 320 KBPS files. In addition, only my Android phone or the iPod can be connected at one time, and I need my phone.

I've posted about this issue for anyone using an iPod with a 2018. I've had the car to the dealer, and they recognize the problem, and are trying to communicate with Acura to rectify the problem with a software update. I hope anyone having the problem will also contact Acura to spur them to attend to the problem.
Have you tried hitting options? I’m able to see my playlists and artists and all that stuff. Granted I have a 17. I have the iPod by usb and my iPhone connected by Bluetooth.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried hitting options? I’m able to see my playlists and artists and all that stuff. Granted I have a 17. I have the iPod by usb and my iPhone connected by Bluetooth.
The 2018 is a new, very different system, and there is no options button, there is an audio menu and browse button. I think my problem is just an oversight in the new system, for the bluetooth connection works fine. I would guess that in the 2018 the software is almost completely new code.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m sorry,it was under menu when you have the audio screen up. The menu button next to the big button. Try that.

Thanks, but the 2018 is a different system, and what you are describing is not on the 2018. When the iPod is connected by bluetooth, the screens on my car look just like what I've described, but on the bluetooth connection the Browse button is not grayed out and it works. I have used the system in a 2017, and it is really nothing like the 2018 in terms of menus and appearance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the 2018 as well and it does the same thing. The "Browse" button is grayed out. But strangely enough, one day it all of a sudden appeared and gave me the option to select playlists, artists, etc. But then it went away after I turned off the vehicle to get gas. Not sure what I did to get it to work but it is possible. I will continue to play with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So my wife was messing around with the Ipod....she got the browse button to work. She said she just unplugged and plugged it back in. I turn off the car, start it, the browse button does not show up. I unplug, replug, NO BROWSE BUTTON! @@!$**##%!! story short, i still don't have a solution.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For those interested, I've found that a pre-5th generation iPod (gen-4 for sure) will work properly and allow the browsing function. Gen-5 and gen-6 do not allow browsing, making the iPod almost useless unless you want to play tracks randomly. This is an infotainment system glitch, for the gen-6 works in several other cars I have, going back to 2008. What does not work at all is the Song by Voice function, which shows everything grayed out except for radio and XM, so one cannot use voice commands to pick an artist, album, playlist, etc. Along with the fact that the text/email function doesn't work at all, I'd say that Acura needs a software update, which I hope they'll do. In my several conversations with them, Tech Support (888-528-7876) doesn't seem reassuring about doing that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.