Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Users who ordered HID

I wanted to know of the users who actually bought a HID kit from a seller. Not Ebay. But a place where they have a 800 number. About you experience with the seller. Support if needed, delivery, the packaging, setup and install. Also reviews of the final results.

If you can post the place and who you spoke to.

Reason I am asking is maybe we can use this post as a review so other people who are interested in upgrading their X to a HID, can look here.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
HID 6000k Bulbs and Ballasts

I dealt with Hids4less, even though some people had trouble they did come thru with an excellent working product. The BMW website also dealt with them on a group buy. The adjusted the prices for us as follows:
1.Stage II 6000K $575.00 from $750.00
2. Stage I 4500K $450.00 from $550.00

They are located at www.Hids4less.com
Try to get a few people to buy and maybe they will discount for you.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
There have been so many threads on this subject!
I got mine at orangeracingteam.com for $400. They are a newer product made by McCulloch..yes, the same one that makes power tools and commercial working lights.
Highly recommended..only slightly blue, very white and uniform. Good warranty and quality components. EZ install (as are most).

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dale and Paul. I know there have been topics and post about HID in general, with with them there have been numerous questions, comment,etc. I really wanted this to be just a thread of reviews from users who upgraded to HID,and the process they went through to do so. Thats why I wanted to keep this as a review thread and not a Q&A thread.

Thanks again

·
Registered
180 Posts
I, too, have the McCulloch HIDs from TeamOrangeRacing. They give off much more even and brighter light than halogens. Very impress with product. High quality. Info can be found at http://www.mccullochhid.com/ . Installation was very simple, about 10 minutes per side. Basically, plug and play.

Shipping and service from teamorangeracing was good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
hidkits.com

I've had my HIDs for 6 months. No problems.
I had a very good experience purchasing my HIDs from Hidkits.com:
The Total cost was $475 (free shipping) installation was a breeze. These are very white lights (ie stage I) which is about 30% brighter than stage II or bluer hued kits. They are fantastic for illuminating dark country roads but do occasionally irritate other drivers by their intensity.

Mailing address
ASTEX USA, www.HIDKITS.com
P.O. Box 1176
Dayton, TX 77535

Physical address
ASTEX USA, www.HIDKITS.com
830 Klemp Road
Dayton, TX 77535

Toll Free Phone (866) HID-KITS 443-5487

Regular Line (936) 258-5554
Fax Line (936) 258-5555

e-mail [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wanted to give this thread a bump since it was moved. I am sure there were more than just 4 users who upgrade their headlight to HID. If you did please write a review. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Review of HIDS4LESS Stage II HID kit

When I had first did research on the idea of changing out my OEM Halogen light bulbs for the HID lighting system..I had to read a lot on it as to what HID is and what it does and doesn't do and how it differ from the standard halogen lights that are in the standard vehicles today. After talking to the folks at Sylvania, Phillips and Hella, Hella referred me to HIDS4LESS. These folks do custom HID headlight conversion for off-road racing and also HID upgrade kits for commercial use.

As for me I was only interested in gettig the HID lighting systems and not changing out the entire light housing on my MDX. By the way...If you want to pay enough money, HIDS4less will fabricate an HID headlights with HID lighting for you for a "nominal" fee. There is nothing that these guys wouldn't do to put HID lights on a vehicle.

I opted for the Stage II 6000K HID upgrade kit for my MDX from HIDS4less. It took three weeks to receive the lighting system. It came in a well package box, very well insulated and cushioned. The kit came to my door via UPS ground. When opening the box, I notice that there are two Hella Ballasts wrapped in bubble wrap. Two plastic tube that contains the stage II HID DS2 bulbs in each plastic tube. There is also a manual/installation book that briefly explain the installation process and also light adjusting process.

When following the instructions, it took me 20 minutes to do the install, ten minutes per light not including the time it takes to take out the 9006 halogen OEM bulbs on the MDX. The DS2 HID bulbs are prefabricated with a 9006 base that perfectly fits in the seat of each light housing. using the existing wire that feeds to the 9006 bulbs, I plug in to the wires that is connected to the igniter wires that contains within the ballast. The HID ballast comes with velcro. This is nice because you do not have to worry about drilling holes into your MDX. There are pre-fabricated screw holes if you really want to screw them down but I opt for the velcro instead. The ballasts can be placed under the headlight housing, or on the side of the wheel firewalls or engine bay. It is simply a no brainer installation.

When turning on the HID lights for the first time, I understand why HID is unique and apart from Halogen. Because of its Xenon gas content within each of the DS2 bulbs, the ignitor within each ballast sends a 12 volt electrical charge to the bulbs and the gas in the bulbs is burned and hence, the lights initially turned on as a DEEP purple, then blue then icy blue and then this unique white light that is uncomparable to any that I have seen when it comes to lighting. The pattern of the light is very solid, no "ghost" or reflective images from the light pattern. I did not have to adjust my headlights. The light is a white that makes standard HID look yellow. when comparing the light pattern to the halogen 9006 light pattern, it makes the 9006 halogen have the feel of the Yellow PIAA.

What I also discover from the stage II HID is that it provides my vision at night with a much deeper and more in depth of objects that is infront of me. For example, when I drive up to the stop sign, the red color on the stop sign is LIKE that when I see it during the day. with Halogen it looks brown. The objects also provide three dimensional perception as opposed to a flat grey black look. I was able to identify the object infront of me a greater distance than that of using Halogen.

Visually the HID lights makes the MDX light housing at night glow this purple flourescent color. It is to say the least...A spectacular sight.

One thing that I also notice also is that am able to have better performance of using other electrical drawn system in my vehicle when using HID. My A/C seems to work better, my radio/CD player seems to not struggle at night... The HID doesn't draw as much voltage as the Halogen.

Yes...it is rather expensive for lighting..but...it is worth every penny to me. Am very happy with it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just installed my 5000K HIDs from SPP yesterday and they are fantastic. 2 friends of mine came over to check them out and they liked them so much they want them as well.

Installation took some time for me though because SPP forgot to include an installation manual and instead put a in wiring schematic (?). I did a practice run inside the house before installing but because I didn't have the instructions I ran into some problems. I called Erik at SPP and he helped me through the installation. Looking back in hindsight, I believe the installation can be done in 5-10 mins. It should be that easy.

I was looking to get the Stage 2s from hids4less but at $650, they were much more than the $499 5000K set from SPP.

SPP has a 6000K set up but Erik was adamant that I get the 5000K set even though it was cheaper. He said the light loss from the 6000K really offset the some of the advantages that HIDs have to offer over halogens. He promised me though that if I was unhappy with the 5000Ks, I could return them and get the 6000Ks without a problem.

So far so good. I'll try to post before and after pics tonight.

·
Registered
449 Posts
5000K from SPP

I too also got my HIDs from SPP. I initially ordered the 6000K from SPP but Eric called me and told me that the 6000K won't be available for another week and that the 5000K is actually alot brighter, the blue hue is sufficient.
The only problem that I had with the SPP 5000K was the instructions. They only included a wiring diagram which was not very helpful. However, after some tooling around, I got the lights to work. Recommend that if you get the SPP, make sure that Eric gives you better instructions for install.
The lights work very well. They are directly hooked up to the batter with the original 9600 plug as the turn on switch. The wiring is long enough (actually alittle bit too long) for all the wiring to the batter and to ground it to the chassis of the car.
5000K are pretty blue, really glad that I did not get the 6000K as I think that would be too blue for me. I am still adjusting the headlights to find the optimal range.
IMO, if you got the dough, get the HIDs. I installed the PIAA super plasma blue bulbs on the foglights, and the HIDs make the PIAA look like the regular yellow lights. As I got the PIAA before the HIDs, I installed the fog lights first and they were really blue and bright but after the HIDs they do not compare at all.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts