Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good suggestion for who to take an MDX to for a prepurchase inspection? Or possibly an inspection service that will go to where the car is? Acura will do their "105 point inspection" they do to "certify" a preowned car but I'm not sure they will be objective. The car is in Metro Detriot.

:confused:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Can't help you with an actual service to use....

Some things to look for though:

1. Acura printout of all service visits. (Make sure the service has been performed perfectly, according to the maintenance schedule)

2. Get a sworn statement that the vehicle was never in an accident. (Tough to get from a dealer.)

3. Inspect alignment, brakes, all fluids (ie look at the condition of the fluids (oil, VTM4, brake, tranny) Any bad smells or off-colors, pass..

4. Check tires for wear. Maybe inspect wheels for straightness and true. Of course, any switch,light,feature should be operated.

5. Take the VTM4 for a spin in the snow. Lock the tranny and make sure it drives well.

6. If a dealership is doing it, have every possible diagnostic center interrogated for codes...

I assume there is still factory warranty left (is it transferrable?) You might consider an extended warranty....(lots of dicussion on these)

How many miles??

Ard

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Differential Fluid change at 7,500

Thanks Ard,

Good points, and I'm on most of it. # 2 may be impossible for $60.

Everything has checked out so far and I've decided to have an Acura dealer do the inspection they perform to "certify" used vehicles.

A bit puzzling though....The dealer told me that Acura sent out a service bulletin to change the differential fluid in X's after 7,500 miles (this is not typical) and then once every 30,000 miles thereafter (recommended maintenance).

I was a bit suspicious that the differential fluid on this car was changed at 8,300 miles (translate - the car had transmission problems or leaks), but the dealer assured me it was routine maintenance.

Has anyone heard of this??? I don't think the dealer would make it up since they have nothing to gain from putting my fears to rest (I'm buying direct from owner).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Dealer Speaks Truth

1st VTM Change is at 7,500 miles and then at 30,000 mi intervals [normal use].

Actual TSB is on Tim's web site [www.hondacuraworld.com], click on "Service Bulletins" [bottom of Screen], select "Acura MDX" and then look at the bulletin entitled "VTM-4 Differential Service".

More info available on this site under forum: General / Maintenance / VTM Fluid Change.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Hey Sadie-

I'm confused.

Did they change it at 7500 AND at 8300?

Or just once at 8300?

8300 is within 10% of the scheduled mileage, so that it fine.

It has always been 7500 for the first change-this wasn't a Service Bulletin *change*, although there was a TSB regarding this general subject. The TSB was to clarify the need for a 7500 change, the difference between severe and normal service, and that it should be changed at 6 months even if it hasn't gone 7500 miles. It also clarified that the first interval was 7500 on either severe or normal.

#2 would come from the owner, not from the inspecter!! No inspection service would ever give you that. I'd give that to someone buying my car (if it were true.)

Keep in mind that there is a tranmission AND a VTM4 differential- two different items. (Just to clairfy, you'd mentioned 'transmission problems or leaks')

Not to worry- sounds good. Nice to be buying directly from an owner.

Ard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
ardvarkus
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing