Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi been looking at the market for either a 14 or 15 MDX advance & entertainment level package version
I have found quite a few MDX that has mileage between 23-30K miles for a 2014
The asking price of them are between 37k-39k

Question:
Is 37-39k a fair price or a great price for a 2014 MDX that has low mileage on it?
The new factory warranty is at 4yr/50k miles whatever comes first, How much is the extended warranty bumper to bumper and how long is the extended warranty covered for?

Some answers will be helpful on this for me to make a decision

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just paid $31K for a 2014 base model (SH-AWD but no Tech, Ent or Advance) with 29K miles. That's simply a current data point for you based on what you consider to be low miles and how much you value the Advance package.

No comment on extended warranties as I didn't bother with one -- I wasn't impressed with the additional years/miles of coverage they offered.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You have until the 4/50,000 basic warranty expires before you need to think about purchasing an Extended warranty. You will be paying interest and tax if you wrap the extended warranty into your car payment. If you purchase out of state online, you can save the tax; which, can be $200-$300 savings compared to local dealership.

You can call the Acura warranty department with the VIN and they can tell you when the basic warranty will expire time wise for the used Acura you are looking to purchase. Depending on when the used MDX was originally purchased new from Jan to Dec; it may give you up to 12 extra months of 4/50,000 coverage.

You will still have the 6/70,000 powertrain and any extended factory specific warranties that will pay out before the extended warranty. Even if you purchase an Extended 100,000 mile limited warranty now for a 2015 Adv, it may or may not pay out for repairs until 2019 or even 2021 for powertrain repairs.

I ended up getting a 120,000 mile extended warranty for $2390 for my 11 MDX Adv because of the magnetic struts/shocks. I had a strut failure at 35K and didn't want to pay the +$2400 bill if it happened again out of warranty. So far, I just used the warranty to replace the driver side seat heater for $300 (85K on MDX now). Last month; Acura announced an extended 100,000 mile warranty for the 07-13 MDX ADS magnetic strut/shock system.

Might be better off putting the $$$ in the bank or ROTH IRA for the 3-5 years and you will earn interest instead of Acura. Most likely, +2019 will be the earliest the extended warranty might be used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yesterday I bought a 2015 Advance FWD with 21k miles for $40,500. Not a steal but the vehicle is in very good shape and I feel like we did okay. The prices locally were much higher and the best I could do was 44k on a 2016 certified tech with AWP with 11k miles. If you're not in a big city and want a decent deal it sure helps if you're willing to travel for the car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i just bought a 2015 advance with rear entertainment for 32k from a private seller. has 44k miles on it but also has free maintenance for 50k miles and the extended warranty to 100k miles. however i fell upon on amazing deal and i don't think you'll see another deal like that, but i wanted to point out that they come by once in a while.

previous to that we were looking at getting a 2014 tech with 25k miles for about 33-34k.

37-39 for an advance with low miles is a pretty good price, HOWEVER i would highly recommend getting a 2015 over a 2014. there are many more bugs to be worked out on the 2014 model and the list of TSBs is super long compared to the 2015. some "updates" are covered for 2015 whereas you have to pay for them for 2014.

when we looked around for a CPO one, there were many many more 2014 models available than 2015 and i think there's a very good reason for that. good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
37-39 for an advance with low miles is a pretty good price, HOWEVER i would highly recommend getting a 2015 over a 2014. there are many more bugs to be worked out on the 2014 model and the list of TSBs is super long compared to the 2015. some "updates" are covered for 2015 whereas you have to pay for them for 2014.

when we looked around for a CPO one, there were many many more 2014 models available than 2015 and i think there's a very good reason for that. good luck!
Thanks for the reply
My R class had rear seat entertainment & it was fully loaded hence I wanted a MDX that had minimum of tech+ent pkg.
As you pointed out either most of them that was out there were of '14 and hard to find out '15 and there were many '16 out there.
I stumbled upon a Adv+ent pkg on '14 that has 30k miles on it.
Driving to the dealership in DFW area from HOU on saturday (12/24) & super excited about it. Listed at 36k, hope they will come down by a grand and if I get it for 35k i'll be a happy camper

Reasons
The vehicle was purchased by the first owner in HOU and was serviced all it's life in HOU.
I can go back to the same dealership & can keep continuing the service history & obtain all of it's history from the beginning as they will

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi everyone - I'm a newbie on this forum but thought I'd chime in since I just got a '14 MDX SH-AWD Advance Entertainment with 22K miles from off-lease Honda Motor auction with $1K fee to the dealer that bid on it for me for $36K; So if you are finding it retail $37K I'd say it is a a fair price, the ADV/ENT is rare and '14-'15 are not back in force yet from leases; I would not go for 39K though unless you get extras (certification, etc.). Keep in mind - for the 2 weeks I had the car - I had to deal with getting a second key cut/programmed, replacement IFRA headphones and the tires will only last another 10K or so...ah, almost forgot - and the transmission needed the new programming and tripple flush TSB applied so it stops the 1500/1700RPM jitters and the front struts were shut ( also TSB) so both got replaced (free under MW)...Hope this helps - I love the car...yes it is 3-4K over the Tech trim but you get a lot of goodies for it...and safety ones that IMHO are priceless with 2 kids on the back...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts