Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in carrying a full size spare for our 2002 MDX but I do not intend to use it in rotation, only for an emergency.

Does anyone know if there are any other wheels that can be used which will fit in the same space under the car and which have the same lug holes? I thought that I might be able to find a used one at a wrecking yard.

Thanks
Ken K

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I plan to do a 5 wheel rotation myself, that's why I bought a used touring wheel and a new tire.
But even if I didn't, the next time I buy tires would only have to buy 3 (assuming the same ones are available) plus I have a spare alloy wheel if one of the others gets a bad ding.
But the dealer price on a new wheel is close to $300 where every so often someone has one (whose going to larger wheels) for half that price. The one I got is flawless. Anyway, good luck whatever you decide!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Look for people that are selling them on the "Classifieds" section. People that upgrade the wheels and tires end up selling the MDX wheel/tire combination. I purchased two with only 4000 miles on it from another member for $300, one for my brother, and one for me.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I was one of the first to go with full size spare

Part of the problem is that are not any CHEAP 17' steel wheels. The only 17' wheels available are alloys at $120+.

The second problem is that the MDX wheels are narrow at 6.5" The smallest after-market rims I could find were 17x7. Since I could get OEM rims from Tim for $200 I figured it was the best option by far. Why pay almost as much for the wrong size allow rims?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Questions -

Why go with a full sized spare? It's literally been several decades since I got a flat, and that was on a "69 VW Bug.

What's the advantage of the 5 wheel rotation? Why not just rotate 4 and replace them when they are worn out? You never have to invest in a full sized spare that way too.

Just curious!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Read the temp-spare limitations

You really are not supposed to drive on a Temporary Spare!! You are supposed to go straight to a tire repair shop and do not exceed 50 MPH!

I am uncomfortable with that; particularly when I am on the road, at night. Especially when my wife and kids are on the road at night! I think $350 (OEM rim and tire, mounted) is a small price to pay for the added security.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well, that's what I would do - go get it fixed. Trips for me (it's my vehicle) are almost always within 10-15 miles from the house, with an occasional highway jaunt to grandma's house (3 hrs) ...

To each his own I guess.

:)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Three or four times a year ...

... we take the MDX on the road; 1200-1600 total miles involving night driving. To me the full size spare is well worth it.

I would agree that it does not add as much value for local driving.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Questions -

Markedoc said:
Why go with a full sized spare? It's literally been several decades since I got a flat, and that was on a "69 VW Bug.

What's the advantage of the 5 wheel rotation? Why not just rotate 4 and replace them when they are worn out? You never have to invest in a full sized spare that way too.

Just curious!
20% more mileage out of 5 tires being rotated.

Or you can leave it as a spare. Then when it's time for new tires, just buy 3. Knowing you never have to drive on a 'donut' in the meantime should you have a flat.

Plus, you have another stock rim if the one on the ground gets dinged, you can change them out.

Those are enough reasons for me. I think selling a luxury SUV without a full size spare is ridiculous anyway.

If you don't like the tires you got, or if you plan to go to different wheels then all bets are off. Enjoy your donut

:D Blow-outs are virtually gone, but flats are not as rare as you may think. Maybe you just drive on very clean streets. Of course, I didn't buy this vehicle for short trips.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Ditto DaleB

Any full size SUV (any true SUV actually) should have a full size spare as standard equipment.

Obviously Acura's advertising of the MDX's "offroad" capability is a joke - anyone who would go offroading with a donut spare is deficient somewhere!

·
Registered
32 Posts
To all you full size spare users

Does the full size spare fit in the original spare location without modification?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Watch for damage on the spares though...

One thing my brother (he has a mahogany) and I noticed is that a pretty steep indentation gets etched into the spare by some metal piece under the car. It looks like it's permanent, so we've attached a piece of used carpet to prevent it from happening when we put our full-sized spares.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
We were a bit concerned about the carpet being a fire hazard, considering its proximity to the muffler.

Hopefully the vinyl cover won't present that issue.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts