Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 MDX Canadian Tech version

I'm trying to play MP3 music files stored on a USB stick. Many of the songs play fine, but too many pop up an unplayable message on the screen. The unit then jumps to the next file/song. The files are fine. I can play them on my PC's, in another car and on my home audio system. I've re-formatted the USB stick to FAT32, as instructed in the manual, but the problem continues.

Has anyone here had this problem and fixed it? The manual says that the USB stick should be 256Mb or larger. Is there a maximum size? I've tried both an 8Gb and a 18Gb stick, with the same issues - not always the same files, though.

Thanks much

Grant

·
Registered
176 Posts
You might want to check the Properties and Security. Depending on how you obtained the music files, the Security may be turned on. On PC, right click on the music file, select Properties. Look near the bottom....Security.

It will say something like....This file came from another computer and might be blocked to protect this computer.

Just Unblock it.

You can start there. Good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this, Bigdog. That was not the problem, as it happens. I did figure it out, though. I read on another forum about people having the same problem with various models of Hondas. The solution is to change the bit rate of the recording. Most of the songs that I am trying to play have a fixed bit rate of 320. The "unplayable" ones had a variable bit rate and the effective bit rate went up to 326 - 328. The computers in our Acuras are too slow to handle that. I reduced the bit rate to a fixed 256 and all is well. (I likely could have chosen a fixed rate of 320, but I wanted to be sure.) I didn't think of this earlier as I figured that my 2013 MDX would be modern enough to handle these files. I learned differently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bumping an old thread, but how do you change the bit rate? I'm having the same problem. Assume my laptop is Windows 10.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an audio/video editing program that I can use. There may be free ones online. Mine is a paid version. I'm pretty sure that you cannot do it with windows media player, and I'm not aware of anything included with windows 10 that will do it, either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is the bitrate of the MP3 that is the problem and makes the file unreadable. There are programs that will batch convert the bitrate of MP3 files (Just google MP3 Bitrate conversion) My MP3 files all had 320 Kbps. Acura is not able to read them. I had to scale them down to 256 Kbps. Thats what i did on my 16GB USB and all the songs play now with minimal quality loss ( still CD quality ).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Search on "convert wma to mp3". You will get lots of options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Backup your mp3 folder.
Get MP3 Diags from sourceforge. Read the instructions.
Run MP3 Diags and scan the mp3 folder. There will likely be unknown frames or other abnormalities on the unplayable files.
Apply the fix to selected unplayable songs or the entire folder.
Your problems should be solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts