Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought a new 2020 MDX base model. One drawback I found is that only one USB port is active, others are charging only. I want to be able to play music from USB stick and also use my Apple CarPlay. Can I use a usb splitter or hub? If yes, any recommendations on which one to buy?

thanks
Johny

·
Registered
66 Posts
I haven't tried it but between my experience on ther applications like this and what is in the owners manual, the answer is no. The manual has a section on this and says not to use a usb hub on the one port. And it isn't just the base model with only 1 usb port for audio etc, the tech and advanced versions and they hybrid version also have this "feature".

Yes, this is a drawback to the MDX. My2015 GMC truck has 6 usb ports , and one SD car slot all accessible to the "infotainment" system. you can pick and choose from any of them for music. newer versions also support apple car play and android auto.

·
Registered
66 Posts
how big is the internal hard drive? I have 60+GB of music. And then AFAIK the only way to get music to the Hard drive is to copy it from CD's and (a) that would take a long time and (b) much of my music doesn't have a CD source. If there is a way to copy music directly to the HDD that would be great.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I believe the HHD is around 500GB. Each CD copies in around 7 minutes. Sadly it will only read original CDs

·
Registered
66 Posts
I believe the HHD is around 500GB. Each CD copies in around 7 minutes. Sadly it will only read original CDs
I supose I could put about 1/2 my music collection on the HDD. There is lots that is purchased MP3, And, CD's number in the hundreds, so I figured it wouild take 20-40 hours of nothing but insert, copy,remove to put those on the HDD. I suppose the collection will build up if I just keep some CD's in the car to cycle through.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Why not just load your current favorite dozen? Next long trip repeat with the next dozen.
I can almost always,load 2 CDs on my 15 minute drive to town.

·
Registered
507 Posts
At least for the 2014-2016 models the user interface for a connected iPod is quite usable. I took my old Classic and replaced the 80GB hard drive with a 120GB SSD, and a much larger battery to boot. At least one version of the Classic has the ability to use much larger SSDs, unlike my old one. It is pretty simple to load a music library onto the iPod, using various codecs as you wish. If you don't have an old iPod laying around they can be bought on flea-bay already upgraded to SSDs. Also, the console has a pocket specifically for an iPod, beside the USB port.

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes the ipod interface is very useable. And in my denali pickup I have a 128GB ipod hooked up. But on the denali I can pick and choose from the a multitude of connected devices, thumb drive, ipod, SD card, phone etc. So I have the ipod and thumb drive and SD card hooked in along with phones. But on the Acura, only ONE device can be connected at a time, so if the ipod is connected, can't use android auto, or thumb drive, etc. or vice versa.

So..... as time goes on, I'll be getting as many of my CD's onto the HDD so I can easily switch between music and android auto.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts