Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading what everyone has done to improve the sound in their MDX, I decided to take the plunge. Mine is a '03 Touring/NAV/RES, so it comes with the BOSE. After listening for it for about a month, I've decided that this is one of the worst system in all the cars that I have had.

This is what I did:
Upgrade the front to MB Quart PSD 216 components
Change the rear door to MB Quart full range coaxial
Swap out the lousy BOSE sub with a JL Audio 10W6
Add an Eclipse PA5532 5-channel amp to drive the front, rear and sub (in the headrest area, but sine the amp has a very low profile, you can still remove/put the headrest in without any problems)
DYNAMAT all the doors and sub-woofer area.
Left the center channel speaker alone (in the back headliner), so it's still playing via the Bose amp.

Gotta tell you that now it's 1000 times better. I'm extremely happy with the quality works at the local shop. Ends up costing me $1725 altogether, but I think it's definitely worth it. If any one need more information about the equipment or installation (at Street Beat in Hayward, CA), feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congrats on your new setup.

Were you able to get 10W6 into the factory location? What kind of enclosure did you have made?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 10W6 fits rigt in there. The installer does have to make an adapter ring out of 3/4 inch wood so that the back of the sub won't hit the sheetmetal (speaker is a little too deep, plus they put Dynamat all over back there). He told me the adapter ring made out of wood also helps with making the bass sounds better, without all the resonating sounds.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That was going to be my question as well. I have an Image Dynamics sub in there now and I am getting ready to change. How, if it is, did they fit that in the factory spot.

Whoops, almost same time posting. I am going to have to measure for myself. That sounds awefully tempting.

·
Registered
344 Posts
tnguyenmdc said:
The 10W6 fits rigt in there. The installer does have to make an adapter ring out of 3/4 inch wood so that the back of the sub won't hit the sheetmetal (speaker is a little too deep, plus they put Dynamat all over back there). He told me the adapter ring made out of wood also helps with making the bass sounds better, without all the resonating sounds.

Pics ... must have pics!!! TIA.

·
Registered
509 Posts
slackass said:
That was going to be my question as well. I have an Image Dynamics sub in there now and I am getting ready to change. How, if it is, did they fit that in the factory spot.

Whoops, almost same time posting. I am going to have to measure for myself. That sounds awefully tempting.
Slack,

Can I ask you why you are changing the Image Dynamics sub? I'm assuming you're not satisfied with it. I was just wondering because I heard Image Dynamics subs are pretty good speakers.

ck

·
Registered
306 Posts
kimsta.....Actually, after getting my JL amp hooked up, I have pretty much decided not to change the sub for now. The only reason I was going to change was that it is Image's least expensive sub, I bought it used, and I thought it might be better to change. However, I like the sound so much being just free air, that I have decided to seal up the area and see how it sounds sealed with a really good trim ring and Dynamatted. Image speakers are awesome. I have 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 Chameleons. I love them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts