Very nice!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Beautiful! And I just love that color!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Dale - I still haven't done the steps . . . Do you find that you hit your leg on it when entering or exiting? In winter especially, I imaging this could put dirt on your pant leg.

This has been a major deterrent for me.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is California, we don't have winters!
Seriously, I have had my leg brush against it if I get lazy and don't use the step or ensure to step over it.
It's is much more intuitive to use the step when entering vs. exiting the vehicle.
If you make a conscious attempt to use the step every time, it's not a problem.

I would think the stock Acura steps are less of a problem, as the steps are mounted further in.
My wife is only 5' 2" and before we had the Maniks she had no problem stepping higher, but now that they are there her preference is too use them most if not all the time.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I noticed that the Maniks are so much further away from the MDX than the stock steps. Do you feel this is an advantage or disadvantage? I have the steps but actually I step right over because I'm 6'5", but my wife and child use them all the time.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I agree . . .

DaleB said:
The only advantage I have found is that it tends to keep people from parking too close. So far.........
Since installation I've noticed that people are alot more careful when opening their doors so as not to smack into the Maniks for fear of dinging their doors ! Very effective and good looking to boot.

DaleB, what do you use to keep your steps clean? We had a quick drizzle here is SoCal and now have muck and water spots on my Maniks :confused:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: I agree . . .

socalJD said:

Since installation I've noticed that people are alot more careful when opening their doors so as not to smack into the Maniks for fear of dinging their doors ! Very effective and good looking to boot.

DaleB, what do you use to keep your steps clean? We had a quick drizzle here is SoCal and now have muck and water spots on my Maniks :confused:
So far just Zaino, usually Z2 with the rest of the car. Still considering a specific stainless steel polish. But they seem to hold up just fine.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dale if you don't mind where did you gat the Maniks and how much did they run you? Also did you install them yourself or did you have someone do them?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very easy to install yourself. Since you are not in California, you don't have to pay the tax. I ordered through Nordleth.com
There are others that sell them, but some are slower, charge your credit card prior to shipping, or lie about availability.
They will probably run close to $400 w/shipping.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
paulp said:
Dale,
It looks good! How many brackets does it come with? Is it rigid enough to stand on it?

Paul
If you do searches under Manik you will find all that info. They are further from the body and only mount with 2 brackets, there is an additional support at the rear, compared with many more mounting points on the Acura steps, which are also closer to the body.
Towards the front they do feel slightly springy if you bounce on them. But they have never been a problem either using them as a step to get in or out of the car, or as a way to clean the roof. I am very happy with them.
The alternative if you want a stainless or sliver look, is to have the factory steps powder-coated. They look great too!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do the Manik chrome side steps stick out farther from the car than the Acura black side steps? I saw the Acura side steps on an MDX and looking at the profile, they were flush with the side of the door (just like the running boards). From your pictures, it looks like the Manik steps are not flush.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mdxcoop said:
Do the Manik chrome side steps stick out farther from the car than the Acura black side steps? I saw the Acura side steps on an MDX and looking at the profile, they were flush with the side of the door (just like the running boards). From your pictures, it looks like the Manik steps are not flush.
Yes, they do stick out further than the factory steps, which psychologically seems to make some people more careful when parking beside you. But as I stated under another topic, I bought them for the looks, the price, and ease of installation. It's strictly a personal choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts