Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought you all might like to hear how this ordeal turned out. First of all, Tim Poliniak from hondaacruaworld.com was very helpful. He spent the better part of a day tracking down people to talk to about my Acura. In the end, it seemed to be his opinion that a "fix" was the appropriate remedy (as opposed to a new engine or new car all together). Well, I got my car back last night, and I thought you all should know what all was done to my 3 MONTH OLD MDX:
First, the invoice states that the cause of the problem was that my "rear camshaft siezed" (please note, no one can explain WHY that happened).

The following parts were replaced:
The rear cylinder head
The front and rear gasket kits
The rear cylinder head
The rear pulley
The oil seal
The fuel injector set
The coolant & the oil
The "Seal A" valve head
The "Seal B" valve head

Next, the invoice says the camshaft and rocker arms in the front cylinder head were removed and "sent out to replace valves"

The timing belt "and/or" balancer belt was replaced.

Let me ask you all this: would YOU want this car???????? Especially given that they have no idea what caused the rear camshaft to seize? Presumably, it could happen again, could it not? Acura is a joke. They want you to believe they are a true luxury car manufacturer. But when push comes to shove, they don't give a rip about SERIOUS problems with a brand new car. They didn't even give me an Acura to drive while mine was in the shop (for 8 days). Instead, I got a Durango. Sure, that's the kind of service I paid $44,000 for.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I would not go as far as to say the fix was not appropriate (assuming there is no way you will get a new Acura or new engine).
But the way you were treated as a customer, was totally unacceptable.
At a minimum you should received an MDX, RL or TL to drive, a free extended warranty (at least 5/75K) and a thousand apologies and further follow-ups from Acura to ensure your satisfaction. And a full tank of gas and 5 free oil changes.
If I was a conscientious dealer I would have done that just to keep a customer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly, I don't know enough about car engines to determine if the fix was appropriate. I have been told by someone who does know engines that they should have replaced the oil filter because there could be little pieces of metal floating around the engine from when the camshaft siezed.

Bottom line is, I no longer TRUST this car to make it from point A to point B.

By the way, Tim Poliniak told me the wholesale price on a new engine (he looked it up in his computer) was $834. The total cost to Acura to "fix" my engine??? $2,900. It would have been cheaper to please the customer than insist on a B.S. fix.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Janderson,
it is really hard to tell you this, but there is a good chance that even a new engine would not "make you happy"

I am not sure if it was BellTech or someone else on this forum, who, even though he got (or was about to get) a new engine, was still unhappy and managed to raise enough "publicity" fo force Acura to "give" him a new car.

There are no guarantees in life, so be happy with 4/50K warranty.
Due to severety of your problem, I would definitely insist on extended warranty for free or at least at a significant discount.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I definitely agree with you. Logically, I know this is a great car with a great reputation. I was the unlucky person who got the one-in-a-million lemon. I really do believe that. But because of the problems, I just don't trust the car anymore. That's more of an "emotional" response. I realize I have to suck it up and accept what I've got (I'll tell you this, my re-tooled MDX is a heck of a lot more fun to drive than that Durango they rented for me!)

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
vip9 said:
Janderson,
it is really hard to tell you this, but there is a good chance that even a new engine would not "make you happy"
I'm afraid I share that sentiment. I'm having trouble mustering as much sympathy as in my reply in the original thread. Partly because I was envisioning a blown engine, with billowing smoke and parts laying on the road behind you.

They replaced 8 parts. In a week. You got a reasonable loaner IMO.

Cars break. That's what the warranty is for. Sure, an early-mileage failure like this is disappointing. But you owe Acura the opportunity to fix it, under warranty. It seems to me that they did. On the first try.

Presuming the car is running OK (and you haven't indicated otherwise) I don't see what's missing. Either enjoy the fixed car, or sell it.

BTW, lemon = chronic problem(s). I hope yours is not.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
If you'll remember when you called me at my home, the problem was discovered to be a bad camshaft bearing. That was the problem. The head was replaced, so everything in the surrounding area that had anything to do with the camshaft bearing was replaced. I talked at length to the head of Acura customer care about your car, and all of the surrounding circumstances, what repairs were done, etc. I believe that everything that was needed to be done was done and your vehicle was repaired properly after investigating this at length.

Everyone that knows me knows that I will go to any lengths to defend somebody that I believe is right....after finding out all of the pertinent details, I think at this point you are really overreacting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all your thoughts. I agree with all of you. I'm not trying to "overreact." The purpose of the update was to let people know what the result was. What I wrote was straight from the invoice. The invoice doesn't mention a camshaft bearing, althought I realize that is what Tim was told. It doesn't change the fact that I'm not happy that this is the car I bought. I truly doubt that any of you would be "happy" if this happened to your brand new MDX. Certainly, I'm entitled to that opinion.

As I told Tim, I don't know anything about engines. It's all a mystery to me. But if the opinion of those of you who know more is that this is no big deal, all I can do is believe you and hope you're right.

As far as how the car is running now, so far, so good. I'll keep my fingers crossed and provide updates -- good or bad.

Again, I can't say enough good things about Tim Poliniak and the extraordinary lengths he went to on behalf of a stranger. I'm a little put off by the tone of the last post, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he really looked into this issue and tried his best to help.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
janderson89 said:
Let me ask you all this: would YOU want this car???????? Especially given that they have no idea what caused the rear camshaft to seize? Presumably, it could happen again, could it not? Acura is a joke. They want you to believe they are a true luxury car manufacturer. But when push comes to shove, they don't give a rip about SERIOUS problems with a brand new car.
This is why I felt you were overreacting. Saying that is based more in emotion than fact.

·
Registered
763 Posts
This forum is GREAT!

It has a huge flaw, though - it puts THOUGHTS in one's mind. Thoughts which would never develop on their own.

I was going to reply to your original post saying that although "severe", your problem is relatevely THE SAME as weeping mirrors or THUD or broken windshield wiper. That's where warranty comes into play. Too bad to be on the "receiving end" of an unlucky car. :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim, I couldn't agree more that that was an emotional response. But honestly, with the exception of you, I was treated very poorly by the Acura folks on this end. In fact, they didn't even contact me when my car was finished. I had to call THEM to find out it was sitting there waiting for me. Overall, this was a very bad experience on my end. Was it earth-shattering? No. Is it life-threatening? No. It is simply a bummer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For what it's worth (maybe not much) it sounds like you got about the typical treatment that most any dealer or car company would provide. Not wonderful. Not terrible. From this website, I've learned that some find Mercedes and Lexus to be exceptions. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find service level to be significantly better or worse based on the price of the vehicle. I am always surprised at the number of comments on this board that say something like "X should not have happened in a $40k vehicle." I just don't get it. You are still dealing with machinery and human nature. Now, Tim is simply a cut above the rest. Sounds like he fought for you tooth and nail and I think that makes him one in a million.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: Re: Update: Very Serious Problems

hondacuraworld said:

This is why I felt you were overreacting. Saying that is based more in emotion than fact.
With all due respect to everyone here, I would venture to guess that most everyone here would be just as "emotional" had they been in janderson's shoes. It's easy to see someone else as "over-reacting" when you're on the outside looking in. Yes, cars do break, but there's no excuse for the treatment that Acura provided here.

My ex-boyfriend went through a problem with Acura recently regarding a 3-month old RSX and I saw the treatment he got from Acura customer service. They really don't care. Period. Luckily he had a dealer that essentially gave him a full refund (which he used to purchase a Benz C-Class Coupe). I LOVE ACURA, but it's too bad that the decision of whether or not to make a customer happy rests with individual dealers instead of corporate.

Just my 2 cents...
:)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I don't know if I agree that the response of the dealer is typical. I have had Ford's with multiple problems, and under the warranty and the dealership treated with me the greatest courtesy, and never failed to immediately provide me with transportation, and always followed up to make sure I was happy with the repairs.
For a 17K vehicle I was not put out. I was disgusted with the quality of the car, but certainly not with Ford or the dealer's effort to make up for it.

I also don't think it's wrong to expect better treatment after spending 40K, not that I will get it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I, for one, can certainly understand the concern over the major engine repairs. Should not happen, but nothing is perfect. The repairs done appear reasonable, but I am sure (at least I hope) that they did a few things not shown on the order. You mention the oil filter, I am sure both the filter and oil were changed. If the repairs were done properly, the engine should be in perfect working order. Should you have had the problem....no......but nothing is 100% perfect.

You mentioned a new engine. Owning a Porsche Boxster, I am familiar with that one. The Boxster had an issue with "slipped engine/piston sleeves". The engine completely seized. Porsche removed and replaced the engine with a REBUILT unit (took quite a while to get the engine in as well). The problem, the engine is no longer the cars original! Works wonders on resale value. Repair would have been a better option. Comparing Acura and Porsche.....my Porsche CD changer did not work when I took delivery new. Noted it on the delivery paperwork, and was told they would order a new one, and replace in when in. The "new" one was REBUILT, even down to the scratches. The real kicker, the "used CD changer" I got was an $800 option.

As you, I would be emotional on the issue (and was with Porsche). Give it time though, and if done correctly your engine will function well down the road. If done wrong, the problem will reoccur quickly, and under warranty! I say this noting that quickly most likely means it would have gone already..........am sure yours is OK

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
It's the DEALERS ...

DaleB said:
I don't know if I agree that the response of the dealer is typical. I have had Ford's with multiple problems, and under the warranty and the dealership treated with me the greatest courtesy, and never failed to immediately provide me with transportation, and always followed up to make sure I was happy with the repairs.
For a 17K vehicle I was not put out. I was disgusted with the quality of the car, but certainly not with Ford or the dealer's effort to make up for it.
I also don't think it's wrong to expect better treatment after spending 40K, not that I will get it.
Some folks are in it FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS!

Some dealers really do "live to see those happy faces", whether they're selling $10K vehicles or $100K vehicles.

Others only care 'about the green'.

In the defense of the "greedy Acura dealers", when people are 'lined up willing to pay more than MSRP' it SORTA makes it too easy for 'em to cynically treat customers like dirt...

I really believe that when dealers (and salespeople) have to work a bit it makes 'em better AND they'll actaully TRY to get your business. Consider Lexus. When it came out they had to to fight "it's a chrome plated Camry" image on the low end of the line, and the "I'd rather get a Mercedes" on the high end. Wisely Lexus stressed "customer experience" and it's paid off. People now love Lexus. Even the competition between Lex, BMW & MB has made all THREE better...

Unfortunately the FEATURE SET of the MDX still makes it TOO EASY a sell, and THAT is making it TOO EASY for dealers...

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
janderson89 said:
Tim, I couldn't agree more that that was an emotional response.
I'm sure that the way most on this board feel about the MDX that an emotional response would be the norm here considering what you went through.

I think you still should push Acura for an extended warranty to help ease your concerns about potential future problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Welp. I can only say that your Durango free loaner is better than the Stratus or Civic that they have given me here and would be an an acceptable loaner. At least you get an SUV for putting an SUV into service. I need an SUV or large vehicles because of the baby and those cars simply don't cut it. Hell I'd take a minivan for the day or days just to not have to PAY EXTRA to get a SUV (Trailblazer or Infiniti QX4).

I haven't had to ask this question yet, but at Saturn on a $15k car when something broke under warranty the repair was gauranteed as long as I owned the car. The starter and alternator were replaced and came with a lifetime warranty. Granted I never used it and the new owner is s.o.l. But you may want to ask if that problem is gauranteed longer than the warranty.

I am sure that if Acura treated people like they just don't care, eventually it will catach up with them and people (like us here) will not repurchase an Acura next time around. I leased, so if they traeat me bad n 4 years they will not be getting my repeat business. However, if they treat me right I will be back.

and I do not think you were over-reacting, just emotional as any of us would have been too.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
dmyles wrote:

.... I LOVE ACURA, but it's too bad that the decision of whether or not to make a customer happy rests with individual dealers instead of corporate.
Sorry to disagree here but I see the problem as exactly OPPOSITE. IMHO, I think the the decision was made by Corporate, not the dealer. In a case like this, Corp. is contacted for the decision and the dealer is TOLD WHAT TO DO.

Tim, if I am wrong, please correct.

Note: Nothing in this message is intended to defend my experience of dealer attitude. I believe that this could definately use some adjusting. Then again, that is sort of up to us. There are surveys, time to be honest guys, stop trading for freebies ...

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
janderson89

IMHO:

(1) You don't need to apologize to anyone for being upset or emotional. I suspect that most of us [me included] would be upset.

(2) I suspect that you would feel a lot better today had Acura treated you better.

(3) Acura Corp. could easily have worked to mitiagate the situation by giving you an extended warranty to help you through the ordeal. How much would this cost them? Not 1 frigging dollar if there are no problems!!

(4) I am a tad disappointed in your comment about Tim. Please note that he went out of his way for you with no possibility for reward. He was probably a bit disappointed in your comments!!

Morals of this story:

(1) Tim -- no good deed goes unpunished!!

(2) Honda Corp -- when the #$^%$# are you going to learn that good will has a value. Often the outcome is based on HOW you handle something and NOT on what is actually done.

(3) Acura will stay Acura and not run in the really big leage until they learn how to treat customers. Lexus ownership is an experience that consists of really good vehicles plus something else. I won't try to explain because Acura simply won't get it.

(4) Honda Corp attitude postions us as drivers of upscale Pilots. Too bad for us ...

(5) Someone recently asked "should I buy a Pilot or MDX" not long ago. Well, if you are going to be treated as if you bought a Honda Pilot, might as well save the $$$ and buy the Pilot.

(6) FWIW -- My Honda ownership dealings with Honda Corp. were real ugly [lemon law stuff] -- talked with lawyers in the process. I was told that Honda is one of the worst to deal with on problems!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts