Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What causes a music file to be treated as "unreadable file" when played from a USB attached to the tether inside the console? I have music file MP3s that play on my old MP3 player, any laptop, any windows PC but will not play in my MDX. They are all from the same source (Amazon) but oddly enough, some Amazon MP3s play fine, others do not.

What's this all about and is there a remedy?

Thanks, All!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had the same issue. It was the bit rate of the files. You can read about my problem in the unplayable music files thread on this board. I have an audio/video editor that lets me save the files out with a lower bit rate. When I did that, all was well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I've got a solution to the bit rate conversion, but after digging around I saw that most of the files that won't play are in "WMA" format. Is there any way to convert these to MP3?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, there are many free conversion programs on PC to go from WMA to MP3. Just GOOGLE. Also, it is the bitrate of the MP3 that is the problem and makes the file unreadable. Again, there are programs that will batch convert the bitrate of MP3 files. My files had a 320 Kbps. Acura is not able to read them. I had to scale them down to 256 Kbps. Thats what i did on my 16GB USB and all the songs play now with minimal quality loss ( still CD quality ).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I will try to cover what works.........
If you burn MP3s to CD or DVD, you should not have any problems playing any of the songs or tracks on Acura CD/DVD player. However, with the USB Memory stick, Acura's are very picky for some reason.

Solution: What you have to do is convert your MP3s files to AAC file types and then copy AAC songs to USB Memory stick. There are software packages will batch convert MP3s to AAC files. Either file will play on your PC. But Acura wants to see the AAC files on Memory sticks. Trust me....all of your (AAC files) will play on the Memory Stick.

On the USB Memory, you can still group your songs in various folders as you would normally. The only difference......AAC files on MS. I use a several 32GB memory sticks......and every song plays and works. If you have any problems.....just post.

Good luck....

·
Registered
56 Posts
I will try to cover what works.........
If you burn MP3s to CD or DVD, you should not have any problems playing any of the songs or tracks on Acura CD/DVD player. However, with the USB Memory stick, Acura's are very picky for some reason.

Solution: What you have to do is convert your MP3s files to AAC file types and then copy AAC songs to USB Memory stick. There are software packages will batch convert MP3s to AAC files. Either file will play on your PC. But Acura wants to see the AAC files on Memory sticks. Trust me....all of your (AAC files) will play on the Memory Stick.

On the USB Memory, you can still group your songs in various folders as you would normally. The only difference......AAC files on MS. I use a several 32GB memory sticks......and every song plays and works. If you have any problems.....just post.

Good luck....
THIS IS IT.....you have to run them as aac file on the usb, and then they will work on the USB in the mdx. It took me forever to figure this out

·
Registered
467 Posts
I started using an iPod and it plays all the songs. Also get to keep all iPod functionality like playlists etc right from the headunit.

I understand that converting to AAC also seems to work but that was too much work to convert the entire collection and maintain 2 copies for me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I understand that converting to AAC also seems to work but that was too much work to convert the entire collection and maintain 2 copies for me.
Consider it this way......You always need Music backups. If I had the key to Sony Headquarters, I couldn't replace my collectible music collection. I'm talking about Gigs and Gigs of MP3 music, maybe even TBs of music, from the US and many other countries. All types of music and from all years. So look at it this way.....You need several External drives for backups.....I never trust any one disk drive. All disk drives are designed to crash and burn, it's just a matter of when. I could never replace my collection, so I do need 5 disk backups. I dedicate 2 drives to AAC and 3 drives to MP3s. This way, I feel safe unless all drives get destroyed by fire. And every 6 months, twice a year, I back up to a 5 TB drive and keep in them locked in the safe. Need I say, Music is my business.....

So don't look it as work.....look at it as A Music Disaster Recovery Plan.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Consider it this way......You always need Music backups. If I had the key to Sony Headquarters, I couldn't replace my collectible music collection. I'm talking about Gigs and Gigs of MP3 music, maybe even TBs of music, from the US and many other countries. All types of music and from all years. So look at it this way.....You need several External drives for backups.....I never trust any one disk drive. All disk drives are designed to crash and burn, it's just a matter of when. I could never replace my collection, so I do need 5 disk backups. I dedicate 2 drives to AAC and 3 drives to MP3s. This way, I feel safe unless all drives get destroyed by fire. And every 6 months, twice a year, I back up to a 5 TB drive and keep in them locked in the safe. Need I say, Music is my business.....

So don't look it as work.....look at it as A Music Disaster Recovery Plan.
Haha you remind me of a friend of mine who has multiple of many things(not just songs) as backup 😛

I just have one on PC and one on HDD backup, that's enough for me :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts