Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i was steering my MDX 2016 to my garage in slow speed and sudden unintended acceleration caused front right of my car hit a pillar in right. Collision caused damage to front right and the pillar. I am working with insurance to take car to a body shop which is in acura pro first list. car is not in drivable condition. Now how can i fight this out between insurance and Acura or Prove that unintended acceleration caused this.? Kindly suggest what should be my next steps?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Unintended as in unintentional? Is it possible that your foot overlapped the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
If there is any proof,it would be in the car’s computer. I have never heard of this on the Acura. Good luck.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm thinking the cost to fight this and potentially lose will outweigh any benefit of winning and having your claim covered under something else than collision. Sell the car as soon as it's fixed and purchase something else.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Contact your insurance company and NHTSA about making a claim. The proof should be in your computer, it's just a matter of finding someone to access it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
These things are usually 'driver error' where the driver's foot accidentally slipped from the brake pedal or hit the gas unintentionally - this happens pretty frequently actually. If you're a two footed driver incorrect pedal input is even more likely to happen.

If you're absolutely convinced it's a gremlin in the car that did it rather than the driver then probably the best way to pursue it would be via the vehicle's computer but I don't know if an Acura service person would readily check that out although you could check. Any lawsuit would likely be long and expensive and my guess is that Honda/Acura has access to more lawyers and has a larger legal budget than you.

If you pursue this, let us know what happens when you request Acura to review the computer logs. I'm curious to know how they'd respond to this request. I'd also like to know what they discover if they're willing to check it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nobody here can tell you anything meaningful, because you haven't provided any details of the sequence of events.
i was steering my MDX 2016 to my garage in slow speed and sudden unintended acceleration caused front right of my car hit a pillar in right. Collision caused damage to front right and the pillar. I am working with insurance to take car to a body shop which is in acura pro first list. car is not in drivable condition. Now how can i fight this out between insurance and Acura or Prove that unintended acceleration caused this.? Kindly suggest what should be my next steps?
How could anybody suggest next steps when you have supplied no details about how this happened? In particular, if engine went out of control, what caused the engine to stop?

While there are numerous cases of sudden acceleration, all of the ones I can recall all occurred on the open road and the cars went to high throttle and the engines did not stop by themselves. I don’t recall of one that occurred in putting a car in the garage since the old 60 Minutes Audi 5000 sudden acceleration fiasco when, among numerous reports of sudden acceleration, a woman lost control while putting her car in the garage and crushed her son to death.

(That one was almost certainly due to operator error and not the car. I had an Audi 5000 at the time and could see how the placement of accelerator and brake pedal could have caused such an error - I knew that it was a lame-brained design from the first time I got into that car, and I knew that I had to take care to not get pedals confused, and it all caught up with Audi in the end. But, good grief, how do you ever convince a person who accidentally killed her son that she had mashed the wrong pedal? You don’t. Fortunately we don’t have anything like that design with the MDX.)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I drive my 17 in "Sport" mode most of the time. There have been instances where I have accelerated and then suddenly had to back off. The car didn't stop accelerating immediately and I had to really slam down HARD on the brake until the car actually stopped accelerating. Has only happened once or twice, as it is a very rare set of circumstances where it happens. We're talking about 1 second or maybe 1.5 seconds of elapsed time, but it was indeed frightening. One of the quirks of electronic throttles, I guess, and throw in maybe not real good software programming. If you think about it, the moment you get off the gas, the car should begin to decelerate immediately.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I drive my 17 in "Sport" mode most of the time. There have been instances where I have accelerated and then suddenly had to back off. The car didn't stop accelerating immediately and I had to really slam down HARD on the brake until the car actually stopped accelerating. Has only happened once or twice, as it is a very rare set of circumstances where it happens. We're talking about 1 second or maybe 1.5 seconds of elapsed time, but it was indeed frightening. One of the quirks of electronic throttles, I guess, and throw in maybe not real good software programming. If you think about it, the moment you get off the gas, the car should begin to decelerate immediately.
Cars don’t decelerate anymore when you take your foot off the gas. They coast. Emission standards killed that years ago.
Certainly,if you find that the car still accelerated after you lift your foot,you should have it checked out.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I only drive mine in Sport mode and haven't had an issue in this area but it's true that one can't expect instant or much deceleration simply by taking the foot off the gas. The OP was pulling into a garage at a slow speed so I wouldn't expect this aspect would've been a factor unless the garage was downhill from where he was, in which case the brake should've been covered, but I assume this is a garage the OP has pulled into hundreds of other times and is used to.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had couple of times (2014 mdx) issue with sudden acceleration and survived from hitting other car/s in parking garage. After reversing the car, I had changed the gear to D - drive and took leg off the brake pedal, and all of sudden car accelerated like horse jump. Survived from hitting other cars/pillar in the commercial parking garage. I hate electronic throttle. Seems like extra fuel accumulated and get fired all at once causing jump. I am now very careful when reversing and always wait for couple of seconds to let fuel burn before advancing.

I completely believe that OP had this incident at fault for car and not his/her own fault.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
Everyone thanks for the suggestions. My scenario was similar to What @2002acura has posted. I did the same thing, reversed , gear to D and took leg of brake, Boom i had zero reaction time, some how i pressed the hand brake, that reduced damage. I have been parking my car in my garage for 4 yrs now and no way i would have accelerated crazily myself. I have video clip (From Garage camera) that captured the last part of the accident. Now my car in Garage and the damage is ~1K and i gave up the idea of taking on Honda.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts