Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting uneven tire wear causing a pulsing noise that has the sound of bad bearings. Here is what I have replaced in the past couple of months. 2005 MDX Touring. 168k.

- Alignment - perfect before it went into the shop.

- Replaced both front end bearings.

- replaced front end CV axles. (both were leaking).

- all wheels balanced and rotated.

- there really isn't any play in the tire indicating bad suspension.

- The pulsing noise continues. A mechanic friend of mine drove with me today and said uneven tire wear. The tires are 18 months old.

Could it be struts and shocks???? I am around 400$ into this so far. This noise is driving me crazy.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Have you visually checked ball joints and compliance bushings in the lower control arms? Turn wheels all the way to one side and then the other. The large compliance bushings at the back of the control arm often crack. These can cause the steering wheel to pulse left/right at varying rates as speed increases 25-70mph. If you find the bushings worn, you can get the bushings or buy the entire control arm with new bushings and ball joint for $70-$120 per side on rockauto. Pretty easy to change the entire arm at about 30 mins per side. Might want to check the outer tie rod ends too.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
Do I need an alignment if I replace the control arms?
Afterwards, you should have the alignment checked. Shop I use doesn't charge to check. If you just had your's done, the shop might not charge you to check. Mine was fine. The 3 pts that the control arm connect to generally doesn't affect the wheel settings.

Note that if your tires are already worn/cupped, they could still affect steering feel after control arm replacement. The steering wheel might still pulse left/right.

Also, if you separate the ball joint with a pickle fork type separator, you'll probably ruin the boot and stretch the cup so you should replace the ball joint. Probably easiest to replace the entire arm with one that comes with new joint and bushings.

Btw, in your OP, can you describe pulsing in more detail?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.