Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Was looking at 2017s (Tech Package) here in MI and noticed all (4) had obvious rusts in the back on certain parts from the suspension, spare rim, exhausts, etc. Is that normal for a 3-4 yo vehicle? Warranty?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Living in NH, I can relate to the existence of rust in places you'd not think of. But after having owned Honda/Acura vehicles for decades up here, I can say that some parts of these vehicles show surface rust quickly - but it's not a sign of a defect. Certain suspension parts are not necessarily painted/coated, and gather surface rust within the first year, and will be that way for decades without any problems (sort of like bridges that have metal that's designed to have a surface layer of rust to protect it over time). Other things like welded parts on exhausts can also show rust quicker. Issues would be if you have treated surfaces (like the undercarriage body panels, or inside door jams, etc. That's not too commonplace with current car construction, but can happen if there are defects in the paint.

Overall, if all 4 you looked at are similar, I'd not worry because they're showing normal signs. I'd bet if you looked at other Honda products you'd see the same things. And overall, Hondas are not more rust-prone in these under-car areas than any other vehicle.

Good luck - andy

·
Registered
676 Posts
Probably normal for where you live. Inspect other makes of similar year/miles for confirmation. Yes, there will be some variance from car to car because some cars never get garaged while others are garaged daily. Some cars are never driven on salt treated roads or their owners go through the first car wash they see once the roads are clear. I agree with Andy this is not a warranty issue and you won't get help from Acura.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi. Was looking at 2017s (Tech Package) here in MI and noticed all (4) had obvious rusts in the back on certain parts from the suspension, spare rim, exhausts, etc. Is that normal for a 3-4 yo vehicle?
Depends on where you live. California? No. New Jersey or Toronto? Yup!

Warranty?
I don't think there's warranty for surface rust. Unless you have structural damage with the integral parts rusted through (but I doubt it as even my 2008 daily driven in Toronto doesn't have that).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Living in NH, I can relate to the existence of rust in places you'd not think of. But after having owned Honda/Acura vehicles for decades up here, I can say that some parts of these vehicles show surface rust quickly - but it's not a sign of a defect. Certain suspension parts are not necessarily painted/coated, and gather surface rust within the first year, and will be that way for decades without any problems (sort of like bridges that have metal that's designed to have a surface layer of rust to protect it over time). Other things like welded parts on exhausts can also show rust quicker. Issues would be if you have treated surfaces (like the undercarriage body panels, or inside door jams, etc. That's not too commonplace with current car construction, but can happen if there are defects in the paint.

Overall, if all 4 you looked at are similar, I'd not worry because they're showing normal signs. I'd bet if you looked at other Honda products you'd see the same things. And overall, Hondas are not more rust-prone in these under-car areas than any other vehicle.

Good luck - andy
Thanks Andy.

Good luck - andy
Valid points. The 4 vehicles were in the same lot and will compare to others. In checking out one, I realized that in addition to the harsh realities of the region, there are still a number of unpaved roads. I will look at the rust thoroughly when checking the cars out. Also, I wonder if it is worth to look into rust proofing to slow it down. Thanks Andy!

Wil

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Probably normal for where you live. Inspect other makes of similar year/miles for confirmation. Yes, there will be some variance from car to car because some cars never get garaged while others are garaged daily. Some cars are never driven on salt treated roads or their owners go through the first car wash they see once the roads are clear. I agree with Andy this is not a warranty issue and you won't get help from Acura.
Good idea to compare to other vehicles from my same region. I realized I have the unpaved road environment to consider in addition to the salt. I hope you meant no pun when you said, “won’t get help from Acura.” :).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends on where you live. California? No. New Jersey or Toronto? Yup!

I don't think there's warranty for surface rust. Unless you have structural damage with the integral parts rusted through (but I doubt it as even my 2008 daily driven in Toronto doesn't have that).
Thank you!
Wil

·
Registered
676 Posts
Good idea to compare to other vehicles from my same region. I realized I have the unpaved road environment to consider in addition to the salt. I hope you meant no pun when you said, “won’t get help from Acura.” :).
Just being realistic. Acura isn't going to do anything about surface rust on suspension or underbody components since that is not a warranty issue, and if it's not CPO there isn't much of the "basic" warranty left.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware that putting salt on the roads means salt ends up on the steel underside and does cause corrosion. Modern cars are pretty corrosion resistant, often with a galvanizing step in manufacturing - fifty years ago a car in Michigan was often rusted through in 5 years. Then again, in those days dealers loved to add the ridiculously profitable anti-rust coatings, that trapped the salt and moisture between the coating and steel and actually accelerated corrosion. The good old days...

·
Registered
540 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Just be aware that putting salt on the roads means salt ends up on the steel underside and does cause corrosion. Modern cars are pretty corrosion resistant, often with a galvanizing step in manufacturing - fifty years ago a car in Michigan was often rusted through in 5 years. Then again, in those days dealers loved to add the ridiculously profitable anti-rust coatings, that trapped the salt and moisture between the coating and steel and actually accelerated corrosion. The good old days...
U mean they actually did apply that rust proofing? I always thought it was a scam where they didn't actually do anything but still charged you for it. Like when Putty tries to sell Jerry it on Seinfeld lol

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
It was all too real, and caused a lot of damage. Ziebart was the big name brand but dealers typically used no-name brands that they applied themselves. I bought my new 240Z in Ypsilanti, and without asking me they applied the coating before I picked up the car and added the $100 or so to the price (I had to wait 3 months to get the car, and it was all on their terms as there were far more buyers than supply). The 240Z had a monocoque construction (i.e. no frame) and below the doors the threshold, outside sheet metal, and underneath were a hollow box structure; they drilled several holes in the threshold in order to spray into the box, then closed the holes with plastic plugs. Every time I opened the door I saw those ugly things. In drilling one of the holes the drill bit hit the inside of the exterior surface causing a dent outwards. The underside of the car was covered with a thick rubbery coating, which of course trapped moisture where it inevitably started to separate from the body. I would have paid the dealer $100 to NOT apply that crap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was all too real, and caused a lot of damage. Ziebart was the big name brand but dealers typically used no-name brands that they applied themselves. I bought my new 240Z in Ypsilanti, and without asking me they applied the coating before I picked up the car and added the $100 or so to the price (I had to wait 3 months to get the car, and it was all on their terms as there were far more buyers than supply). The 240Z had a monocoque construction (i.e. no frame) and below the doors the threshold, outside sheet metal, and underneath were a hollow box structure; they drilled several holes in the threshold in order to spray into the box, then closed the holes with plastic plugs. Every time I opened the door I saw those ugly things. In drilling one of the holes the drill bit hit the inside of the exterior surface causing a dent outwards. The underside of the car was covered with a thick rubbery coating, which of course trapped moisture where it inevitably started to separate from the body. I would have paid the dealer $100 to NOT apply that crap.
I compared it with other vehicles (other brands) and they were similar. Ended up picking another MDX. I may end up treating it with some rust protector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts