Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'02 MDX -I had to tear out all the insulation under the front carpet due to water leak. I'm not finding any info on where to buy some new waterproof insulation that goes under the carpet. I'm not looking for the fiberglass stuff that was glued on the underside of the carpet. There was a rubber barrier below that, it sits directly on the metal floorboards. Extra soundproofing would be good to know about too.

Thanks for your ideas.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It's a 2002 MDX... How much money do you want to put into it?

I'd look into DynaPad. It's about 3/8" thick and is comprised of layers of heat-shield, moisture barrier, and foam -- specifically for automotive applications.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/dynapad/

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/dynapad/ said:
DynaPad is easy to install as an under carpet pad. It has no adhesive, so it can be moved and reused. Use DynaPad on floors, interior firewall, rear deck, and in the trunk for cool, quiet comfort. For the best results, install DynaPad over Dynamat Xtreme, and experience the Dynamat Difference.
If you want something with adhesive on the bottom, then I'd use one or more layers of Dynamat, or something similar.

http://www.dynamat.com/automotive-and-transportation/automotive-restoration/dynamat-xtreme/

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
FWIW, I was installing wood floor in my classic RV (a 1978 GMC) and carpet in the cockpit (above the engine compartment, because it's a front wheel drive coach). I ended up using the underlayment that I'd bought for installing the wood floor up front over the engine compartment. I put down two layers, using spray (headliner) adhesive, and it worked like a champ. Cheap, and a HUGE difference in noise coming up from my mighty V8 throbbing away a few feet from my rump. The stuff I used was essentially 3mm neoprene (think wetsuit), and not much sound gets through that.

I bring that up because I'm thinking of using the same stuff under my MDX front carpet, primarily to see if it will reduce the amount of torque converter whine getting into the cockpit. Assuming that the noise is coupling to the body acoustically, it should help quite a bit to put a layer of underlayment between the firewall and the cockpit. Couldn't hurt, and will also improve the insulation qualities.

FWIW, I also used the stuff because I had a bunch of it left over from doing wood floors in my house, so it was "free" (as was the wood floor in the RV). Even so, I'd buy more to do the same thing again, if only because I'm too cheap to buy Dynamat. ($157 for 36 square feet vs. $40 for 100 square feet of what looks very much like the stuff I used). https://www.houzz.com/product/66961124-100-sq-ft-underlayment-3-mm-eva-contemporary-flooring

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas.

Any reason I shouldn't use some kind of rubber flooring from a Box store? I'm not sure the leak is fixed but I need to put me car back together so I can show my buyers some houses this weekend. Maybe even use indoor outdoor carpet with a rubber backing?

I finally located where the water was getting inside the car; the hole in the side wall behind the emergency brake. Don't know how the water is getting to that point though. It seems to only come in when I drive in the rain. I hosed down the X, the windshield, the roo with the sunroof open, the hood, drive's door, fender etc. and it didn't leak.

An engineer friend recommended to put RTV caulk around the hole in the side panel behind the emergency brake. I let it sit about 15 minutes then put caulk on the sticky side of some duct tape and put it over the hole. Then additional layer of caulk and tape.

I've driven it once, a short distance in the rain and no water.

Yesterday I caulked around the windshield and all the seams I could get to without removing the front fender got another layer of caulk too.

I'm not ready to glue anything in just incase the leak is still active. Not looking to spend a lot on this since I have 178K miles.

But I'm not looking to make car payments and after this I don't think I'd buy a newer MDX without a warranty.

Any idea what causes the heat/AC controls on the Nav screen to only work intermittently? I can't figure out any specific pattern of why it works or doesn't. I've replace the fuse. Thought that took care of it but I was wrong. Sigh...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
But I'm not looking to make car payments and after this I don't think I'd buy a newer MDX without a warranty.
Your vehicle is 14 years old and has 178k miles... And you're complaining that there is no warranty?

What vehicle would have a warranty under those circumstances??

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The sunroof drain exits on that side where your leak is. The drain is plugged somewhere - you can test the system by pouring some water in the front left corner of the (open) sunroof channel, and seeing if it leaves the area. If it does, the plugged part is lower down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
p07r0457 Please re-read my comments, I said "But I'm not looking to make car payments and after this I don't think I'd BUY A NEWER MDX without a warranty" I have zero expectations that with 178K miles there would be any warranty. I was not complaining or stating disappointment my '02 is out of warranty. Not sure how thought that's what I said or meant.

Because the MDX's are known to have this water leak issue, IF if bought a newer one, I would want a warranty so IF there was a leak Acura or a warranty might cover it.

My point was I'd have to buy something much newer to replace mine to have a "certified pre owned MDX" with some warranty. To do that, I would end up with car payments which I prefer not to have.

I love my X is has been a low maintenance SUV.

I realize I am nearing the point that it might be better to buy something newer rather than put much more money in the one I have.

Maybe you would like to remove your comment implying I was complaining and next time more carefully read comments before posting a post like that.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Maybe you would like to remove your comment implying I was complaining and next time more carefully read comments before posting a post like that.
Nope, I’m good. After re-reading your comments I still think you’re unreasonable and now I think you’re a condescending jerk, too.

Good day sir.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Habbyguy, I did run the hose on the roof with the sunroof open. It seems to be draining out the rubber thing under the fender cover just fine. I caulked around the rubber piece. It wasn't cracked or brittle but I caulked it because I could reach it and had some extra.

I went to Home Depot and for $36 they had a 4' x 5' commercial rubber floor mat. I bought one and will cut it to fit and see if that works OK. I usually have the stereo loud to the road noise hasn't been bothering me. Hahaha

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
There could be a leak in the hose to the drain, which could put a considerable amount of water onto the floor in that area. Here's a diagram of the routing...

It would be worth a look at the cables / hoses / etc. that go through the driver's side firewall. If one of them has a seriously damaged gasket, water that gets into the engine compartment could find its way through the firewall to the carpet, particularly on a cable / hose that leads down toward the firewall.

Also look for a gap in the sealant on the left side of your windshield - water getting into the pillar there will also run down to the same area.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I believe the water that you described is coming in the underside of the fender. But since you caulked it, it will be hard to prove anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts