Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a '14 Adv CPO with 40K miles and I generally like the vehicle as a replacement for my '08 BMW 535xi wagon...I do wish more companies still sold wagons, though.

One thing I have noticed is that the metal seat supports underneath the cushion are very narrowly placed press firmly against the back of my thighs. I'm a pretty average sized dude, so I'm pretty sure it's not me. Regardless, I do find it odd that these bars would be so noticeable through the seat cushion. I tried sitting in the passenger seat and though it's less noticeable, I can still feel the bars. The only thing I can surmise is that the previous owner was kinda hefty and the seat cushion has compressed significantly...

But (pun?), before I go replacing the seat cushion, which isn't too terribly overpriced (something I never experienced in my years of BMW ownership!), I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with seat bottom (or your bottom) comfort in these cars?

Cheers,

-jg

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Advance models have ventilated seats so there is added metal in the seat base for that. A few others have mentioned it before. I found the tech seats more comfy as a result. But yeah, this has happened before.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Advance models have ventilated seats so there is added metal in the seat base for that. A few others have mentioned it before. I found the tech seats more comfy as a result. But yeah, this has happened before.
That would make sense when I test drove the Tech, I didn't notice it. If that's the case, do you know if anyone has come up with a solution for the issue?

My guess is that an auto upholstery shop could make a custom cushion with a thicker foam padding, but I can't imagine that would be cheap.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Someone used a seat cushion but i dont recommend that. It can slide around while you drive or even mess up the leather. I guess adding cushioning is one way, but it will likely block the seat ventilation.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just picked up a '14 Adv CPO with 40K miles and I generally like the vehicle as a replacement for my '08 BMW 535xi wagon...I do wish more companies still sold wagons, though.

One thing I have noticed is that the metal seat supports underneath the cushion are very narrowly placed press firmly against the back of my thighs. I'm a pretty average sized dude, so I'm pretty sure it's not me. Regardless, I do find it odd that these bars would be so noticeable through the seat cushion. I tried sitting in the passenger seat and though it's less noticeable, I can still feel the bars. The only thing I can surmise is that the previous owner was kinda hefty and the seat cushion has compressed significantly...

But (pun?), before I go replacing the seat cushion, which isn't too terribly overpriced (something I never experienced in my years of BMW ownership!), I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced a similar issue with seat bottom (or your bottom) comfort in these cars?

Cheers,

-jg
yes. i felt the same with mine.

it was annoying on long road trips.

what i discovered or what my workaround ended up being was that the seat position was titled to far up that it was adding pressure underneath my thighs. after bringing the seating position downward, there is no less pressure against my thighs; this in turn should help with blood circulation. keep playing with the seating and back positions till you get a comfortable seating.

sites like these help with understanding proper seating ergonomics

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/driving.html

Office ergonomics: Your how-to guide - Mayo Clinic

How to Ergonomically Optimize Your Workspace

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a '15 CPO with the ventilated seats and find that I am constantly uncomfortable. The pain is mostly on the right hand side thigh. I have thought about options like car seats, pillows or seat cushions but they will all block the ventilation. Really love the vehicle but driving on long trips gets me really frustrated. I spent nearly $50 k for the car and I am uncomfortable most of the time!!! Just venting unless someone has a brilliant idea!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Uncomfortable Drivers Seat

I have a 2015 adv. and my seats are comfortable for me.I don't feel any bars,and I am 175 lbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread is a little old, but I'm hoping an MDX'er will find this quickly and reply. Same problem. I'm 5'9", 220lb, 57 yrs old. Just picked up a 2015 MDX base model. CANNOT stand the seat after about 30 minutes!!! My thighs are riding on top of the thigh bolstering, which happens with any car, but because of the tough padding, it is KILLING my thighs after about 30 minutes!!! I've tried all adjustments to no avail. This is SO difficult!! I love this car and want to keep it. What is going on???!! Is someone aware of a different seat option on the SH-AWD Advance??? I am unfortunately working on a deal to return this car after only 3 days because I will not be able to bear a semi-long distance trip in my own car. So if ANYONE can reply with ANY padding solution or something they came up with to relieve this, I would really appreciate. I love everything else about this MDX!

thx

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a Tech, and the only complaint I have is in the summer I constantly feel like the Seat Heater is on. The way the seats are shaped creates a perfect seal around my whole back and traps heat in. I HATE it. I constantly have to lean forward and fan my hand around, lol.

Aside from that, no comfort issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts