Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this sounds wacked, but I bought a device from www.tornadofuelsavers.com which has upped my city mpg from 18 to 25. Don't ask me how it works---it just does.

I am a physician. I asked a patient recently(who works at an auto-parts store) if this gadget I had seen on TV really worked. He assured me that it did, and he was right.

I confess that I was a bit disenchanted with the MDX mileage up until I got one of these things... BTW, my wife gets 52 mpg in her turbo-diesel Jetta, and thus had plenty of nagging to do when she saw the trip computer showing only 17mpg. This helps...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I hear the tooth fairy is now making house calls too... Seriously, this has been discussed (and debunked) ad infim nauseam in another thread... Also, Consumer's Report very recently did some tests on late model vehicles with two under controlled conditions and could find no improvement whatsoever.

By the way, you'll note that the vehicles that Tornado shows on their comparison page are all pre-1996 OBD2 vehicles. And three of them are not even fuel injected. Again, as discussed previously, there is a good reason why this is so. (Ask them to show you lab verified comparison on 1996 and later vehicles...)

mcnevin said:
I know this sounds wacked, but I bought a device from www.tornadofuelsavers.com which has upped my city mpg from 18 to 25. Don't ask me how it works---it just does.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can only go with the evidence I see on my trip computer---an improvement of 5mpg on the way to work over a 16 mile distance going about 40mph. So neener, neener, in your face, and so forth!

P.S. O.J. was innocent, too...

·
Registered
411 Posts
mcnevin:

How easy was it to install, and how long was it since you installed it? Did you notice any change in power?

How much did it cost?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took about 5 minutes to install(disconnect soft rubber hose from air filter, shove device down hose, reconnect hose). Easy.

It was $80.

By the way, I went to EPA.com, and did a bit of research. They pretty much tested every gadget out there, and found very few modifications, etc. that actually do save fuel. This device is not mentioned among the successful ones.

Just for kicks, I took out the device and drove to work this morning. Just to rub the results in the face of all the naysayers. Results? I got BETTER mileage without it!

Okay, okay, so I got suckered. The good news is I still have 20 days left before the guarantee runs out. Live and learn...

·
Registered
114 Posts
mcnevin said:
...I know this sounds wacked, but I bought a device from www.tornadofuelsavers.com which has upped my city mpg from 18 to 25. Don't ask me how it works---it just does...

...Just for kicks, I took out the device and drove to work this morning. Just to rub the results in the face of all the naysayers. Results? I got BETTER mileage without it!...

My advice to you is to keep doing that several times, it appears that no matter whether you put it on or take it out your mileage gets better!!! You can stop when you beat wife's 52mpg and than do the stuff to her car! And when your cars will actually start producing gas you can sell it to the gas stations...I'm sorry, just couldn't help myself:) !
ubik
PS with the next follow-up visit, you may shove it up his hose...I bet he'll do better (mileage wise of course) let alone your satisfaction...

·
Registered
127 Posts
My MDX makes about 22.0 MPG with mostly highway driving @ about 75-80 MPH.
I found that the way you drive has a lot to do with the mileage. The MDX is mainly driven by my wife (mostly around the city) and her average is about 17-18 MPG. When I drive the MDX during weekends around the city, my average barely exceeds 13 MPG. So with more aggressive driving and rapid accelerations, expect to use more gas than soft driving and moderate accelerations.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You must have been going down hill with a tail wind ;)

Last week I got 18 with cruise control set @ 70 going skiing in NH - on the way home (down hill) I got 23.5

·
Registered
127 Posts
Actually it was (almost) a level flat drive.
For people who are familiar with highway 680 in N. California, I resetted the mileage at the gas station and drove from San Jose to Napa, about 100 miles with a couple of down and up hills. By the time I got to Napa, the screen was reading 22.2 MPG. The cruise control was set to about 75MPH for most of the trip.
Just to be fair on my judgment, we left at 9:30AM on Saturday morning and there was barely any stop and go during the highway driving. Moreover, the condition of the road and number of passengers (car load) will have some effect. there were certain times when I can see the instantaneous mileage to be around 30 MPG not even on a down hill road.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Highest instanteneous mileage - 36.5 mpg

Speaking of instantaneous mileage, the highest that I have seen on my MDX was couple weeks ago on a return trip from Lake Tahoe (skiing). I filled up around Norden (Sugar Bowl) area and during the first 40 miles of driving my mileage reading reached 36.5 mpg. Since it is all downhill, I was going 70 to 80 mph, but hardly had to use the accelerator pedal. The mileage stayed above 35 mpg for approximately 40 to 50 miles. By the time I returned to Bay Area (approximately 160 miles) my average mpg dropped to a still excellent 29.1 mpg. The return trip from Tahoe is, of course, primarily downhill freeway driving.

By contrast, on the trip to Lake Tahoe (which is mostly uphill driving) the average gas mileage I managed to get was only 18.2mpg. :) So, my overall trip average of 23.6 mpg is very good, considering the size of the MDX and the amount of stuff that I was carrying.

In day-to-day around-town driving though we usually average between 13 and 16 mpg.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was on a ski trip from Central Jersey to Upstate NY last weekend. I decided to test my gas mileage at the start. So I reset the trip computer right after I left home. The trip was about 20% of hilly road and 80% highway. On my way to the ski resort, I used cruise control for highway driving and didn't on my way home. The average speed about 65 - 68 mph on both ways. The diffenence between cruise and non-cruise is quite big. I got 21.3 mpg with a little bit uphill on the way to ski and got 25.8 mpg (no cruise) with a litte bit downhill on my way back.

I believe the reason for this is....When you drive with cruise control, the computer will try to maintain the speed even you are on a short uphill highway. Causing the transmission go lower gear sometimes. This will use much more gas than just holding the pedal and let the speed go down 5-10 mph. If you are facing a long uphill road, that is a different story.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Anytime you are accelerating (that includes going uphill at a constant speed), the rear wheels are being powered - this uses more fuel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I towed my 3500# boat yesterday. I reset the trip computer before I left. At my destination I averaged 9.6 MPG! It's amazing how much towing affects gas mileage on the MDX. My Jeep GC with a 5.2 V8 got 11 MPG while towing (14-15 MPG non-towing). I guess smaller engines widen the gap between normal driving and towing.

Next week I'll take my X on it's first real roadtrip. I'm looking forward to see the fuel economy on a 250 trip (all highway - 70 MPH speed limit/75-80 MPH).

Dan

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the difference has more to do with how the AWD system on the MDX works - under acceleration - which is a lot of the time if you are towing - all 4 wheels are driven compared to the normal 2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
s2ktaxi
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing