Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I jinxed myself by replying to the other thread ? Acutally I have noticed for about a week or so that the A/C was not up to the original X standards.

Its been VERY Hot down in South Florida so I figured any car would be huffin and puffin to keep cool. I did the freeze test and my X failed. ( freeze test ) When I first got my 2001 X, I was kidding with my friends and I turned the air all the way down to 60 at night to see who the first one was to get too cold. I think we may have gone about 5 miles when the wife started tapping on the RED temp button and I have to admit it was cold in the cabin. This morning I pulled the 2002 X out of the garage and cranked it to 60 and off I went to work, it was comfortable in the X but no where near cold or even chilly. The weird thing was when I reached back to the rear vents, the air coming out was colder than the front. I called Rick Case and talked to the service guy. I asked him if I may have done something wrong or I may have off set the climate control in some way and that its like the heat and air are fighting with each other. He said from what I described to him, he said it should be working ok. He told me to bring it by. I drove over on my break and they checked it in, put the temp guage in the vents and cranked it up. The service guy said " not even close, this thing has a problem " So they drove me back to my office. A couple hours later I talked to my service guy and he said they had to order parts. I asked what parts - he said an evaparator and the hoses/lines that go with it. The driver picked me up at my office and took me back to the dealer for a loaner. I also added to the guy that at times when I pulled in my garage and the engine idled for a minute or so, when I turned it off I smelled something coming from the vents that seemed to be an antifreeze smell. I told him this may help if other X owners say they smell something.

The guy gave me a nice white 2002 RL as a loaner, I told him to tell the service guy to be VERY careful and take as much time as he needed and I also let them know that this vehicle is a lemon replacement. I also to them if they take this truck off road, they will buy it full sticker price!!! I told him the story of the last truck, he stopped laughing.

Almost all the service guys at the dealership were new, Rick Case must have fired all of the old ones.

Anyway .. thats where it stands now, I have an RL loaner and my poor X is spending the night ( outside ) at the dealership.

TECK!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A/C Problems

I just had my 2001 X in and had the expansion valve replaced as it was making a "whoooooop" sound all the time. I noticed the antifreeze smell as well. They did not replace the evaporator.

I've noticed that my rear air alternately blows hot then cold, changing about every 15-20 seconds. My local dealer says this is normal - which I think is a crock! The front air blows cold fairly consistently - at least while the compressor is engaged.

The rear air is another story, and I think something is still wrong.

I'd appreciate hearing from others if they have the same "hot/cold" situation.

Thanks!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Spudzola,

My rear A/C unit blows cold all the time. I have never noticed it blowing hot and then cold. Since you live in Phoenix I would have the dealer fix this problem before you guys begin to hit the triple digits!!! I lived in Phoenix for 27 years and even remember that on 6/26/1990 they closed down Sky Harbor Airport because the temp got upto 122 degrees!!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the X back late last night and the air is back to being nice and cold !!! Had a couple of minor issues - scratch/gouge on the front lower plastic lower bumper piece that rick case said they would order and replace without a problem ...and the other issue was the A/C oil all over the cabin of my X. I had to clean it off my front windshield, dash, doors, windows and some got on the headliner but I did not touch that becuase I dont want to ruin it. I told the dealer about it and he said he would take care of it.

Does anyone know if A/C oil could damage the headliner fabric or if its harmless?

TECK !

Oh .. the damage report -

They replaced:

615122 - Rear Evaporator Coil
80225-S3V-A51 Evaporator Assy
80323-S3V-A02 Pipe C, RR
134A Refrig
616185 Discharge Hose

Evacuate and charge system - add this time to operations that require evacuation and recharging of the system. Performance test - 96-004 service proceedures.

I did see what the bill would have been without warranty - over $500.00 - I never said I was a cheap date :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
When they replaced my expansion valve they got oil all over my passenger mat.

I'm using "One Shot" carpet cleaner to try and get it out. Will let you know how it worked!

Also, thanks for posting the repair parts on your repair. If mine keeps acting up the info may help to fix the problem!

·
Registered
351 Posts
On another note....

I'm impressed you got an RL as a loaner! And white, no less. Pretty sweet! When I had my 7500 service recently, they put me in an RSX for the day. For what the X costs, I was disappointed not to get something nicer (although the RSX was pretty peppy!)....there should be a rule that you get put in something 'comparable' to your own vehicle. But I've heard of other people getting dodge neons, so maybe I should be thankful i got what I did! :)

Glad to hear your A/C was fixed.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Teck,

I have the same problem - my front AC is 'ok" but not that cold, the rear is freezing. I took it to the dealer last Nov & they said it was fine. Based on your post, I am going to take it in again before it gets too hot here in TX.

Re the RL loaner - the 2 times I got a loaner - one was a toyota corolla & the other was a malibu (both from Enterprise rental and both POCs). The best car you get is a 4 door integtra if you get there at 7am (I was there at 8 am both times).

Next week I'm bringing it into the dealer to have th eAC checked again - thanks for the post.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
BellTeck,

If I understood correctly, the front air was warm and the back was cooler. I noted that the dealer replaced the "615122 - Rear Evaporator Coil".

Was there a refrigerent leak or was something else going on?

:confused:

·
Registered
619 Posts
teck, glad u got your 'X back quickly- and its fixed!!!

man do u have some bad karma or what?:confused:

hopefully, things will be fine from here on out for u!;)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your replies .... As for the loaner RL. I wasnt complaining about it, I was stating that I like the TL better than the RL .. its more sporty and comfortable to drive.

The repair: The technician told me that there was a bolt not snug from the factory and in time it started to leak. He told me that he replaced the evaporator assembly which im not sure what is all involved in it but I listed the parts from the service reciept they gave me. Its all ok now, in fact my nose is cold still from the drive home and its over 90 today.

TECK!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Oh man, Teck! What is it with you and leaks, my man? Glad to hear that you got the baby back quick--I just happened to ask a mechanic friend of mine about A/C oil and he said other than color (if what Acura uses in the 'X is colored), it should act like any other oil-based liquid. So it won't deteriorate the liner/etc. any quicker, but it'll be a pain to get out...

OK--stay out of trouble!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ROBYJO !!! Thanks for the reply buddy, and thanks for the info on the AC oil. Its not toally soaked but it did spray up on the headliner, the sunroof cover took the brunt of it so I may make them replace it and clean the rest. X is doing GREAT other than that, AC is freezing cold again and I STILL LOVE my X !!!!

TECK!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts