Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm considering an MDX Type S after a three year lease on an RDX tech and test drove a Type S (not advanced) the other day. The overall ride and hp/acceleration was good and potentially a step up for me for where I drive. The one potential deal breaker though was that in Sport and Sport+ modes the car felt noticeably bouncy, especially over a few miles of repeated concrete joints on the highway until the highway concrete changed. I found that my arms were shaking the whole time until I went into normal or comfort. My car mechanics knowledge is next to nothing, so wondering if this normal and related to the air suspension.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2022 MDX Type S
223 Posts
Sport and sport+ stiffen the adaptive dampers (reduces travel of the dampers) to improve cornering and driving dynamics.

This is what you describe as "bouncy"

I am not a fan of those modes, too jarring for my taste...

Completely normal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

I'm considering an MDX Type S after a three year lease on an RDX tech and test drove a Type S (not advanced) the other day. The overall ride and hp/acceleration was good and potentially a step up for me for where I drive. The one potential deal breaker though was that in Sport and Sport+ modes the car felt noticeably bouncy, especially over a few miles of repeated concrete joints on the highway until the highway concrete changed. I found that my arms were shaking the whole time until I went into normal or comfort. My car mechanics knowledge is next to nothing, so wondering if this normal and related to the air suspension.

Thanks!!
As above, use individual. I like engine normal, steering sport, suspension sport.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's the beauty of the air suspension! you can dial up to sport for a firm ride or leave it in normal for a cushioned ride. Each drive mode is quite different.

I made the same switch from a 2019 RDX aspec to MDX-S and love it! Only downside was MPG went downhill big time from an average of 19 in the RDX to 13 in the MDX-S.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That's the beauty of the air suspension! you can dial up to sport for a firm ride or leave it in normal for a cushioned ride. Each drive mode is quite different.

I made the same switch from a 2019 RDX aspec to MDX-S and love it! Only downside was MPG went downhill big time from an average of 19 in the RDX to 13 in the MDX-S.
We drive conservatively around town in normal or comfort and get 19MPG in our Type S with only 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We drive conservatively around town in normal or comfort and get 19MPG in our Type S with only 1500 miles on it.
dndodd100, WOW? Please espouse your magic. I have a Non Type S 2022 MDX Advance, and No way come close to getting 19MPGs in Suburban driving. I will get 13-15 MPGs (15 being the Max). I do watch it very carefully every time I fill up. I use only Premium Gas and drive in Normal Mode. Highway MPGs have Maxxed out at 25 - Milking the throttle. With typical driving on the Jersey Trnpk at 70-80 varied MPH, I'll get 23.9-24 MPGs.
Getting back to the Type S ride... in someone's infinite wisdom at Acura, they decided to EXCLUDE the Auto Dampening on the American MDXs (but do include it on the RDXs!) and on all Canadien Models of the MDX?? I'm not referring to the air suspension ; that's a different feature. When I learned that my Advance model doesn't have that feature, I said WTF Acura??

·
Registered
144 Posts
dndodd100, WOW? Please espouse your magic. I have a Non Type S 2022 MDX Advance, and No way come close to getting 19MPGs in Suburban driving. I will get 13-15 MPGs (15 being the Max). I do watch it very carefully every time I fill up. I use only Premium Gas and drive in Normal Mode. Highway MPGs have Maxxed out at 25 - Milking the throttle. With typical driving on the Jersey Trnpk at 70-80 varied MPH, I'll get 23.9-24 MPGs.
Getting back to the Type S ride... in someone's infinite wisdom at Acura, they decided to EXCLUDE the Auto Dampening on the American MDXs (but do include it on the RDXs!) and on all Canadien Models of the MDX?? I'm not referring to the air suspension ; that's a different feature. When I learned that my Advance model doesn't have that feature, I said WTF Acura??
With turbo vehicles I have found if you just let the torque do the work you get quick acceleration without allot of gas consuming RPMs. This 19MPG is strictly using the tropometer on the car.
Plus my wife drives it mostly and she probably never gets on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts