Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...courtesy of Bing over at the CR-V forum, check out this pic of the Honda Crossroad. Hmmm...looks kind of familiar :p Here's a link to more info: ( http://www.cars.co.nz/car_details.asp?id=8939 )

Also, here's a link to a chat with the MDX development team from way back. I recognized at least one super senior member from this forum who participated in it :) Here's the link, again courtesy of Bing: ( http://www.hondabeat.com/news/mdxchat.cfm )

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
?

That's look like a Land Rover Discovery with a honda emblem on the front.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ?

manus1980 said:
That's look like a Land Rover Discovery with a honda emblem on the front.
Yep, apparently Honda used to sell a version of the Disco under their own name in New Zealand at one time. Honda used to own a portion of Rover back in the '80s and '90s, which explains why the LR Freelander and the 1sr gen CR-V look like they came off the same design sketch. They were probably developed together initially, kind of like the Sterling and the Legend :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
i think after the whole sterling fiasco, Honda wanted to distance itself from Rover, they sold it to another european co.(i can't think of the name) who subsequently sold it to BMW(that why the new range rover has the BMW 4.4 v8, and the freelander in europe has the bmw turbodiesel). after huge financial losses, and few execs being fired, BMW sold the rover group to Ford. Ford plans to market it as one of its Premier Luxury brands(along with Jaguar, Volvo, and Lincoln)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I'm taking a risk and posting first and checking later BUT...

I think that BMW never did own other than the LAND Rover part of ROVER, although they have that part that is coming out with the Cooper/Mini...

I don't think Ford did ever "bite" on the Rover Motor Cars part of the biz... (the did swallow up the Land Rover Part & AstonMartin, and those are part of their "Premier Automotive Group"...)

There is some financially "cobbled together with the help of the Government" company that owns MG/Rover (but not MG/Cooper...)

It is likely that different companies owned different parts of the whole mess (including region specific marketing rights...)but I think the Honda/Legend relationship was more like a design joint-venture/engineering co-op than an actual "ownership" deal.

Oh to have an accurate history of UK automotive biz...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts