Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m down to two Advanced/Entertainment 3g MDX’s with same colors etc.

Here are the options:
2014 w/70k miles, dealership maintained, two owner
2016 w/42k miles, 2% lower APR, 4k more expensive, one owner

Was leaning towards the 2014 but now not so sure based on the other factors.

Given the same choices which would you choose?

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I’m sorry but this a no brainer to me. The only reason to pick the 14 is if you can’t afford the 16. The 16 could even have some warranty left. You don’t mention that. All things being equal,it’s a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Drive the car. There are a lot of 16s out there. Any trans problems have probably been handled. What about brakes or tires? I don’t think anyone on here is going to say 14. Unless money is the only concern.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Drive the car. There are a lot of 16s out there. Any trans problems have probably been handled. What about brakes or tires? I don’t think anyone on here is going to say 14. Unless money is the only concern.
No CPO option on the 16?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
You still might be able to add Acura Care out of pocket depending on the original 1st purchase date of the 16 MDX. You can call Acura warranty with the VIN and they can give you the date when the 4/50k will expire. I did this with my 11 MDX when I purchased used in Feb/2014 with 30k on the odo. The lease return MDX had a Jan/15 expiration date and I added 5yr/120k Acura Care in Nov/14.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Here are the options:

I would personally go with the lower mileage option.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The 9 speed gets a bad rap I'm not sure it deserves. If you make sure the latest SW is loaded on the system, and keep up with the recommended fluid changes, it's as good as any other tranny out there. That being said, you way want to plan on visiting an Acura dealer and have the fluid replaced and check the SW versioning just as a good starting point if you decide to go with the '16. Also check the other fluid changes - like the rear diff - since 42 K and 3+ years is the timeframe when those should be addressed.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I would go with the 2016. Carfax will have in-service date so you can determine how much warranty left. It also may show some service info. Unless you have documentation of service, I would change all fluids just as a precaution.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Here are the options:

The latest Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue indicates that 16-19 MDXs are among the worst used cars

·
Registered
507 Posts
This 9-speed fear is distorting reality. Yes, there were some problems. The main one was leaking between the engine cooling system and the transmission ATF through the transmission warmer (heat exchanger); this was an issue for a specific range of VINs, and those have an extended warranty for that issue. There appear to be other issues that are less well explained, but at 42k they should have shown up by now if they were going to be an issue. There can be some delay in shifting/harsh shifting with some gear transitions, at least in part due to use of 2 dog clutches (in addition to 2 friction clutches) - so test drive the car and see if that is something that bothers you with that car. By all means keep up with the recommended ATF changes, regardless of the cost - it is probably best to just pay a pro to do it as getting the right volume at temperature is critical, and a bit tricky.

Buying a 2 year older car that was the first in the 3rd generation is not a clear win. The '14 has a lousier sound system, which was updated in later model years but not retroactively. Of course there were numerous small things that have been improved later. Also, the one you are looking at has a lot more mileage on it.

Test drive, deal with your fear, and buy the '16 if you like the way it drives.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
The latest Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue indicates that 16-19 MDXs are among the worst used cars
I wouldn’t go that far. They are rated above a Tesla,Cadillac and a Jaguar. I don’t understand the reliability issue at all. I’ve put over 75,000 miles on 2 mdxs. Virtually no problems. Except for the navigation system getting lost once in a while.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I bought my '17 MDX new 3 years ago, so for all intents and purposes its the same "used" car CR claims is among the worst of all cars on the road. I'm not trying to insight another CR riot, but wow is that rag so completely out of touch. I'm glad I'm no longer drinking the punch from that pitcher.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Get the 2014, i just got an advanced 2015 loaded! It drives like a dream and it has 101k miles! Great engine 3.5 and reliable trans. The new trans are garbage and there is a reason why the dealer are aggressively trying to get 2014 and 2015 used mdx on their lots. Just read reviews from several websites and you will see for yourself. Ill rather drive a 2014 with a solid proven track record instead of a 2016 with unreliable power train system.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The 2015 has the fix for the audio system, and other improvements as well, so would be preferable to the 2014 - not the same thing. Dealers have been "aggressively trying to get" my 2016 as well - I am getting pretty tired of all of the pushy emails, snail mails, and phone calls. They don't give a damn about the 9-speed; they just want to make money by selling me a new car and then selling the used car. This transmission thing is just way overblown, and this is from someone who had a minor issue and got a free transmission replacement from Acura without even asking for it. Yes, it was a real problem but I don't see it as a dealbreaker by any means; YMMV.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Here are the options:

Between the two options, I would choose the 2016 if the $4K was not a problem. I don't know why CR painted all 3G Acuras with such a broad, negative brush. My '18 has given me zero problems. If the extended warranty is a possibility, as mentioned in this thread, that might afford more piece of mind ... and not just the transmission. Which the '14 would be without. Buena suerte!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get the 16 assuming it drives well. One can assume the older one has seen more wear on the interior and exterior, not to mention 30k more miles of suspension and brake wear. Sure the $4k savings is nice but you're losing 2 years of the vehicle's useful service life. Plus the 16 will be quicker to 60 and better mpg on the hwy. I have no complaints about the 9 speed in mine.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Get the 2014, i just got an advanced 2015 loaded! It drives like a dream and it has 101k miles! Great engine 3.5 and reliable trans. The new trans are garbage and there is a reason why the dealer are aggressively trying to get 2014 and 2015 used mdx on their lots. Just read reviews from several websites and you will see for yourself. Ill rather drive a 2014 with a solid proven track record instead of a 2016 with unreliable power train system.
Please link us to the "several websites" that demonstrate the 16+ is unreliable? Oh right, there aren't any. I bet you can find a bunch of group think comments about how the ZF9 performs though. Spoiler alert, the internet requires critical thinking skills to distill actual useful information.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts