Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have '16 Sh-awd with tech with 15K miles. I've noticed the noise recently coming from transmission or else when I hit the gas during coasting, e.g. (1) hit brake, coast, turn, hit gas, or (2) coasting, and hit gas. Hard to explain but it sounds like... when you drive high HP car and hit the gas hard, tire initially slips and makes a noise. Sounds very similar to it. It comes and goes and can't figure out under what condition it makes noise... Sometimes, it's quite constant. Sometimes it does not make noise at all....

The other noise which I'm trying to figure out comes from left side in the back, maybe the suspension or wheel assembly or its area. Sounds like something plastic/metal is slapping the body. At first, I thought the small stones were grabbed by the tire treads and thrown up to hit the body. But I only hear that from left back so must be something else.

Your help/input very much appreciated!

p.s. I've owned this car for a year and half, overall, it runs well. But extremely disappointed with the build quality. I was expecting top-notch Japanese quality like Lexus but I was wrong... Lots of interior rattles/ticking noises from many spots. I planned to own it for many years to keep the monthly cost lower than lease but I don't see that happening with this car. I'd feel that I'd end up with fixing many things with this car... I would probably trade in before the warranty expires...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Watch the traction/power control screen while it is happening (the one with the wheel that light up to show where the power is being applied). My guess is your issue is related to your rear PTU as you apply power. The rear PTU is activated mostly when power is called for during acceleration and then as the vehicle gets to speed is transferred mostly/all to the front drive.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Watch the traction/power control screen while it is happening (the one with the wheel that light up to show where the power is being applied). My guess is your issue is related to your rear PTU as you apply power. The rear PTU is activated mostly when power is called for during acceleration and then as the vehicle gets to speed is transferred mostly/all to the front drive.
Thanks! That might actually make sense. I will watch closely. Probably depending on how hard I hit the gas, it engages rear drive and maybe that's when I hear that noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts