Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are problems new to me, I researched and there seems to be no solution from Acura...

a) Bluetooth Audio - terrible lag. Effectively video watching is impossible without connecting the device directly via Aux (or a different $20 bluetooth device that converts to aux output). How on earth could this much snag occur? illustrates poor software engg, when every walmart bluetooth speaker streams just about few ms of delay.

b) Album Art - no support over bluetooth excepting occassional on Pandora.

c) Album Art - display on the top screen is so small, there is no way to customize it, to see the art work bigger, and the small display is affected too by showing the song list which most of the times show as 'empty' lines - serious software bugs.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're worried about album art displaying in your car?? FOH.
Thanks for your kind attention and showing us your concern here. I am sure you aren't concerned about software bugs, but you are mindful about someone else's worry, and hence your useful priceless post. While you are mindful in that regard, please reconsider abusiveness in your expression.

·
Registered
152 Posts
These are problems new to me, I researched and there seems to be no solution from Acura...

a) Bluetooth Audio - terrible lag. Effectively video watching is impossible without connecting the device directly via Aux (or a different $20 bluetooth device that converts to aux output). How on earth could this much snag occur? illustrates poor software engg, when every walmart bluetooth speaker streams just about few ms of delay.

b) Album Art - no support over bluetooth excepting occassional on Pandora.

c) Album Art - display on the top screen is so small, there is no way to customize it, to see the art work bigger, and the small display is affected too by showing the song list which most of the times show as 'empty' lines - serious software bugs.
0.A) These are all things you could've found out before buying the car (i smh every time i see a thread that exists solely due to lack of due diligence)

that said, I won't leave without trying to be constructive:

A) Yes, laggy for sure, bad software? maybe - there's a lot of sound processing going on, but still the software is unanimously accepted pretty bad in the case. solution is as you said, grab a $20 bluetooth to aux or just run the aux cable) the oem delay is 1.8~2sec

B) works for me? I get album art using music stored on my sd card within the phone (android s7 btw) what device are you using? and are you connecting via usb and using the pandora app? i hear that works better when connected.

C)yes, there's no way to customize it, not exactly a priority when driving for me, so can't say i noticed it, though a nice-to-have feature. still, that's not a 'serious' software bug - its more a ill-designed software item i'd agree.

good luck! if you're looking for a car that has a better display, there's other brands that cater to that angle better

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Many many problems and glitches happen from software not being updated. And they also happen because software was updated. Nice huh?

So we went through a thing recently where Pandora did an update a few months ago that was causing all kinds of glitches with our navigation systems. The original solution was to just flat out delete Pandora from your phone. Now, Pandora's latest software update should have things back to normal.

Another situation that we see is when the phone software gets updated (example: iOS 9.3.1), sometimes that causes weird glitches in all kinds of places. Best thing to do is to delete HandsFreeLink out of your phone's Bluetooth menu, and delete your phone out of your car's connected devices menu. Then repair from scratch. And that will solve a lot of problems.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
And sadly, that BT delay isn't going to go away at all. I called the OEM about it and they said Honda made a call that it wasn't worth fixing and that people just have to live with it.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
as HanShotFirst kindly stated, "FOH"! :|

cant believe these mofos. smh.

that is all.
it makes a difference for folks that don't realize the issue and stream navi instructions from their phone via BT. a three second delay could very well mean a missed turn or a sudden jerk maneuver by those not willing to miss the turn. imagine if you were behind the guy who did the sudden move. not sure why you have to be such a douche about it.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Yeah the problem is inherent to BT. It's just laggy by nature due to the amount of data being pushed, but there are things OEMs can do to decrease that lag (yes, BMWs also have noticeable lag [keyword noticeable], as do Mazdas and a few other brands). Someone also traced an issue specifically for Hondas/Acuras using a CRV and a 2014 MDX to be some additional errors on top of the usual BT lag. I've had some good results with Hyundai and Lexus where delays seem to be about a second or less (there are few other brands that seem to also exhibit minimal lag). Then there are models within brands that exhibit lag while others do not (e.g. a Merc E class does not seem to while a GL class does.)

Well, it's a dead topic now either way. Lag will always be there but how much of it will be there. Like many have learned over time, you can compensate using various methods including:
1) For phone based navigation, use phone speakerphone output instead
2) Utilize aux in for audio/video while BT only for phone calls
3) Utilize an aftermarket BT dongle
4) Utilize an app to sync the delay (I believe iOS does not have this option)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Our MDX is not the only vehicle with the sound delay I don't think. My BMW has a lag as well.
I had a 2015 Tahoe LTZ for 3 months (rental from insurance after my Pilot got wrecked) and it had a similar delay. Seems like its pretty normal for audio. No delay with phone calls though obviously so it seems/seemed like a non-issue to me.

not sure why you have to be such a douche about it.
I wasn't. I was being "a douche" about the album art "problem." I've been part of Honda forums for 15 years (mostly on Honda-Tech which was a bunch kids and/or ricers) and never encountered something this asinine.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No delay with phone calls though obviously so it seems/seemed like a non-issue to me.

I wasn't. I was being "a douche" about the album art "problem." I've been part of Honda forums for 15 years (mostly on Honda-Tech which was a bunch kids and/or ricers) and never encountered something this asinine.
This is called lack of quality - no delay with phone, and delay with audio. Yes, some cars still have this as a few examples have been quoted. But not all - I can say for Lexus. Lack of thought and quality is what this represents from Acura in my view.

Album artwork - may be silly for you, not for everyone. But your language / expression does show who you are.

·
Registered
136 Posts
But your language / expression does show who you are.
That's fine. I'm glad to let people know how stupid I think it is that you're concerned with album art for your music as you drive around. You realize that you're on a forum posting about a "problem" and your concern is about not seeing album covers on a small VGA screen AS YOU DRIVE???

This thread is saying way more about you than it is about me, dude. I'm not nearly so petty and entitled as you come across. And if I was that petty and entitled, I sure as hell wouldn't get on a forum to post about it and prove that I lack self-awareness as well.

Anyway, at this point we are just diluting the thread with silly arguments so if these things are that important to you, I'm sure you can find a car that offers them.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I see your point about driving and looking at the VGA screen. Point here is not the driver, but the passengers.

Consider this - it takes a few seconds for the popup with songs list to disappear, the source popup can be disabled (thankfully) otherwise you'd expect someone to wait a bit more longer, and on the big screen you only see the song name playing if you use bluetooth (with exceptions like Pandora and iPod - again Pandora stopped now for some reason). its nice that the cover is displayed, but only so small that its larger on a smaller ipod screen?!

I know for some its not important at all and I agree there. But when you put in a feature you need to put in with quality and concerns about usability when the real estate isn't limiting within the large screen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get where you're coming from with the Album Art. I was also kinda disappointed when I found that all the album art that I tediously added to every song on my iTunes library, even video game music where I googled images of each game and added the best image I could find, wouldn't display on the screen. It's kind of a slap in the face when a $20,000 Toyota Corolla can display album art but my 50,000 MDX doesn't. Of course I can do without it, but that little touch would have been nice. It's the same reason you put album art on iTunes: you don't stare at the iPod, iPad, or phone screen the whole time while the songs are playing but it's nice to glance over and see it beautifully displayed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts