Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share a couple of minor mods I've made which really make my life easier. The first is a handle on the cargo cover. I stole this idea from the '92 Ford Explorer which I sold to buy my 'X. (Actually, I stole both the idea and the handle itself from that car.)

Here's a closeup of the handle. If you want to see a larger view of the cargo cover with the handle, look at the picture in this post in the Husky Cargo Liner thread.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Braile-izing my key fob

Here's the second of my two tweaks. I got tired of having to look at my key fob to find the unlock button on my keyfob. The lock botton is big, and directly behind the raided Acura logo on the reverse side of the fob. That button is easy to locate and press while my keyfob is in my pocket. But not the unlock button! Pushing that tiny, flush-mounted button forced me to pull the key fob out of my pocket and search for the damn thing before I could unlock my car. That was waaay[\I] too much work.:D

So, I decided to provide some tactile differentiation to the unlock button. I went to the hardware store and bought the smallest plastic bumpers I could find. I stuck one directly on top of the unlock button And even though its diameter is slightly larger than the button, pressing the plastic bump reliably activates the unlock signal. And that, I can do blind!

Here's a picture of my modified key fob, and some of the unmounted bumpers.

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Nice work, Marne

Nice work on the two fixes -- I especially like the one for the key fob -- simple, completely reversible, and effective.

--- D.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Great job Marne !!! I like the cargo tray and even the handle you put on it and the cargo net is also on my list of things to get. I have been traveling for the last couple weeks and have a couple more weeks of work trips planned so I have not been ORG'ing as much as I used too. Its good to catch up and see all the new posts but you cant help but to feel out of the loop even after a week.

Again Great job marne, I think I will try the fob upgrade but I know I will be paranoid about it unlocking while its in my pocket and someone cleaning my X out :rolleyes:

TECK!

·
Registered
747 Posts
WB TECK!

If you do the fob trick, remember you're safe--if you inadvertently unlock the door(s) and don't open the door(s) for--30s, 1minute?--the systems automagically rearms and re-locks the doors.

So you're safe!

BTW--how's the '02 treating you?

Rob :cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great idea on the key fob...! I, too, have felt irked at not finding it easily - especially when its cold out and I'm carrying a kid...:)
I will try this asap.

On the subject of cargo covers/nets, I've had a tough time installing the cargo net - it's unbelievably tight. Any hints on how to make it more install-able? I can't use it as is - I need to be able to put it up and take it down quickly...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MDXMom said:
On the subject of cargo covers/nets, I've had a tough time installing the cargo net - it's unbelievably tight. Any hints on how to make it more install-able? I can't use it as is - I need to be able to put it up and take it down quickly...
It is a tight fit at first but it loosens a bit over time. On the initial install (vertical installation) I put the top loops on first - they are more difficult than the lower hooks. When you need it out of the way, only remove one side and bunch it in the corner - that way you only have two loops to re-attach (again, do top one first). After repetition it becomes fairly easy.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you -- I'll try your suggestion ... Glad to know that it gets easier over time...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good ideas, but...

Marne, I really like your key fob idea, since I like to unlock without removing the key very often. However, I'm confused about the cargo cover handle. Did you get an '01 cargo cover? I ordered mine from Tim, and it came with a handle. It is actually a reinforced oval cutout in the cover about where you mounted yours. It's nice, but I have trouble getting both of the side latches in their grooves while holding the middle of the cover. I usually have to guide one of the sides in with my other hand. I guess it will get easier with practice.

MDXmom, I found it very hard at first, but it's easy now. I think that only the end on the passenger side compresses, so I always put the driver's side end in its 'receptacle', then compress the other end and drop it into its hole. It is sometimes easier to do from the passenger side rear door, especially if you have short arms.

- Conrad

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Cargo Cover handle

marne said:
I wanted to share a couple of minor mods I've made which really make my life easier. The first is a handle on the cargo cover. I stole this idea from the '92 Ford Explorer which I sold to buy my 'X. (Actually, I stole both the idea and the handle itself from that car.)

Here's a closeup of the handle. If you want to see a larger view of the cargo cover with the handle, look at the picture in this post in the Husky Cargo Liner thread.
How funny! The cargo cover handle on the '93 Explorer I traded in was exactly what I expected to find on the MDX cover. But, nooooooooo. Seems pretty dumb of Acura not to put a handle on it at all. Wish I'd have thought of sneaking the old Explorer one off - but OTOH, it was tan, and my GG has the ebony interior.

·
Registered
87 Posts
2002 Cargo cover

Here is a picture of the 2002 cargo cover that includes a built-in handle. So far it works well, except that the edges sometimes get caught in the slot when I pull it out. I am really greatful for the key fob idea. It makes a big difference, since I often open the doors without taking the keys out. It works great even when I have gloves on.

- Conrad

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on that photo, I must have a 2001 cargo cover. But after 9 years with my Exploder, I'm very used to the handle I moved to my 'X.

--Marne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
marne
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing