Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all Techies out there,
I tried using my TV as a Monitor for my PC using ATI All In wonder Pro video card. The problem is, it's not CLEAR. Is there any other hardware I can use so the TV monitor will be clearer?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
616 Posts
NaNaLi,

First, it would help if you could post the make/model of the the TV. Second, give us a benchmark as to what level of display quality you are looking for - how do you plan on using the TV as the display? Without getting into the technical details, if you are planning on doing word processing or prolific web browsing you will probably be disappointed. If you are planning to use it to watch DVDs or play video games, it should work fine.

Now to the details. There are two main factors that will affect the display quality. The first is the connection type: composite (standard RCA connector), S-Video (funny looking round multi-pin connector) and component (3 BNC type connectors). They are respectively, bad, better, good. I'm guessing that your TV may support S-Video - if you look at the back of the AIW you will see that round multi-pin connector (it may be on the breakout cable). Then check the back of the TV and see if you can find a matching plug. Your AIW kit should have come with a black cable about 3 feet long, use that to connect the two. You will see a dramatic improvement in quality. Unfortunately, the AIW does not support component output - that's OK, your TV probably doesn't support it anyway).

Second, double chech the screen resolution (right click anywhere on a blank desktop and click the settings tab). Start with 640x480. If you are lucky, you may be able to bump the resolution to 800x600 (you will not be able to go higher than that). If you feel inclined, you may try some of the alternate resolutions lower than 800x600, you *may* find a better match with the specs of your TV.

The "best" connector type is the good old VGA connector (excluding DVI for the moment). While expensive, there are TV "monitors" that will allow that connection - and open the door for HDTV (which unfortunately your AIW does not support). One of current fave's is the Sampo Widescreen 34" . "The Perfect Vision" also has a glowing review. Sounds like some late Christmas shopping is in order ;)

·
Registered
763 Posts
Later this week I'll be in my school where I teach and use TVs as monitors on everyday basis - I will let you know what exact brand of adapters is used there.

One of them even has a "zoom" feature - nifty!
Unfortunately, drawbacks of possibly "cheap" devices are as follows:
-Clarity suffers. Sometimes when I need to read something from 1 foot away - I cannot and have to look at the monitor. Maybe because of the "grains" on TV screen.
-Both models used in my school require 640X480 resolution in display-settings. Anything better and you get garbage on TV screen.

At least 1 of them does not work in DOS - get snow on TV

I believe they are plugged into TVs using regular RCA connectors and TVs are set to "Aux" (same as VCR) input.

·
Registered
763 Posts
OK, 1 adapter is AlTech PC/TV1108 (no zoom) ; the one with zoom option is "busy" right now.

Both of these devices are at least 3 years old, but work real hard at least 3 hours a day 7 days a week.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Folks. Keep it coming..

Donsev,
I'm using my 27" Sony XBR TV. Unfortunately, I am planning to use this to visit MDX.org and surfing. But I'm still crossing my fingers and will try adjusting the display setup as you suggested.

VIP9,
Thanks for the tip on the part, I'll look it up and research it more.

Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts