Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tried the new turtle wax hybrid ceramic polish and hybrid ceramic spray. Wondered if anybody else has tried it yet? It was time consuming, bcs of the preparation and steps. But you simply wash car, claybar car, apply and remove hybrid ceramic polish (which I did by hand), then apply two coats of the hybrid ceramic spray. It needs to sit a few hours to “harden up”. It is by far the slickest polish/sealer I have ever used. And it’s okay to get it on black trim and windows so it’s not a problem leaving white marks. I did my accord too and it looks better than new. I even found oem paint issues I didn’t know I had. It took about 4.5 hrs to do it all but it looks fantastic. I applied it to the rims also, I coated them with NuFinish sealer about a month ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
Been using McGuires Advanced on my X for a couple of years now. Looks great all the time. Water beads off like crazy. Super easy to apply and remove.

·
Registered
455 Posts
There are a lot of ways to stay busy and active while under a SIP and I've found vehicle care an excellent outlet. I'll leave turning this into a "my product is better than your product" thread to others, but the new generation ceramic and synthetic paint sealants are amazing. Spring is a great time to get the paint ready to deal with intense Summer UV and whatever else your local environment has to offer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Speaking of finding things to do. I’ve detailed two cars (mdx and accord) one more to go (daughters Camry, I’m working on my hot rod 65 F100 (bad engine balance and updating brakes) and updating sons Nissan Frontier (lifting it, shocks, struts, new trailer hitch and trailer lights). I’m going to stay bzy cleaning up cars which to me is a great waste of time... should take me a couple weeks to get it all done. Pray this is all over by then...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Speaking of finding things to do. I’ve detailed two cars (mdx and accord) one more to go (daughters Camry, I’m working on my hot rod 65 F100 (bad engine balance and updating brakes) and updating sons Nissan Frontier (lifting it, shocks, struts, new trailer hitch and trailer lights). I’m going to stay bzy cleaning up cars which to me is a great waste of time... should take me a couple weeks to get it all done. Pray this is all over by then...
Two weeks?

I guarantee you will be finding more cars to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow!. I though I was the only one using this "self isolation" to work on the cars/garage/etc. to keep from getting "cabin fever".

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I've been using the Meguiar's Hybrid ceramic Wax with excellent results on my 11 MDX. It last for a long time and works on exterior windows and black plastic bumpers/covers/moldings around the car and in engine bay. It lasts a while, makes everything look better, smells very nice, and easier to apply (and re-apply) than a regular wax job. Doesn't seem to collect a layer of dust in a few days like oil based black trim conditioners I've used in the past.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay daughters car is now detailed. I don’t have any more cars to detail, hers was number 4. I did not use the turtle wax hybrid on hers. The paint is just not there it’s a 2014 Camry black. Just cheap thin paint. So I used turtle wax black polish and black wax and the earlier version turtle wax spray sealer. hmm. What next, maybe I can do neighbors cars... NOT!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went and bought a clay bar kit, and turtle wax hybrid ceramic polish, and the turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray based on your post and positive reviews on Amazon. Didn’t buy on amazon since they have implemented 30-day shipping on non-essential items. Got it all for cheaper at Advance, and within two hours of my order.

Gonna practice on the 2010 TSX before I potentially mess up my perfect 2019 MDX with the clay bar...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea practice in old car 1st.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gonna practice on the 2010 TSX before I potentially mess up my perfect 2019 MDX with the clay bar...
I used the polish/spray on the 2010 accord 1st to see if I liked it. I've been using a clay bar for years started in Alaska, bcs it was winter for 8 months a year and I could only watch so much TV... I clay bar my vehicles at least once a year to get the bugs, tar, road paint, etc off. Clay bars are easy to use but I would watch a couple of videos online 1st. Once you go with a clay bar as a pre-waxing step you can't go back. it makes the paint if it's in good shape very smooth. Note to folks who haven't used a clay bar: you have to wax after using clay bar, bcs it can and will take off some wax.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Turtle Wax brand has made crappy products for a very long time, the only thing they ever made good was a compound agent, in fact I think they were the only ones that did make that stuff.

So would I go out and buy Turtle Wax because they came out with some new hybrid ceramic wax? NO! There isn't any long term reviews on this stuff either. I'm sorry, but after seeing years of poor Turtle Wax products I shy away from them and have no desire to try anything made by them.

I'm a long fan of Meguiar's products, and being a person who use to own some classic cars, Meguiar's is the only product that I would use on them and it's the only product I use on my newer cars or my steel painted bicycles. Meguiar's gives a car a darn near shine equivalent to professional waxes but cost far less, and Meguiar's makes professional waxes. When I use to take my cars to car shows I never had someone say "gee, you didn't use a pro wax did you?" I always got comments on how good the shine looked and get asked what I used; a lot of the guys I knew used Meguiar's products, and some used pro waxes and spent a fortune trying to get the best shine, I never knew anyone who used Turtle Wax products, there are other brands too that are not used.

Mother's isn't bad either, probably ranked right along side Meguiar's for many years but for the last 15 years or so Meguiar's has taken the lead. But you'll still get people who prefer Mothers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks I have and had classic cars too, I’m giving my opinion on this specific wax and sealer and I have used pro stuff again this wax at this time is spectacular... I’ve used meguiars, mothers, chem guys, etc... I still use mothers clay bar, bcs they work the best for the $$. Tried the Japanese clay bars and I feel comfortable with the mothers bars.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bugs, road grime, tar and brake dust dont stick. Just got back from a 600 mile road trip and it was covered in bugs, road grim and pollen. I just went over the front end and windshield with wash mitt and they came off no scrubbing. Worked great and it’s still super slick.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Generally speaking, waxes (carnuba based or other base), polishes; which contain some form of grit (think 3000-5000 sand paper). Then paint sealers which use Teflon, ceramics or some other type of chemical sealer. Then you have combinations of all the above and new stuff comes out every year. Newest is spray on waxes, and ceramics. I just tried the turtle wax hybrid and will see how long it last.

so for me at least once a year I wash clay bar, polish car and wax or seal the car. I liked nu finish as a sealer on my white cars bcs it leaves white on enyrhing dark it touches but works great on white paint or light colors. In darker cars I usually or used to use regular wax a few times a year but I got tired of doing it, so I cut it down to twice a year. But with these new types of polish and seal hybrids I believe once a year with wax and sealer and sealer reapplication twice a year should be good.

·
Registered
86 Posts
So how many types of car wax are there?
Paste wax, carnauba, and this new ceramic wax. Am I missing some?
Paste and liquid waxes are often made with carnauba and/or other natural waxes. These days, we also have a plethora of polishes, sealants and coatings to choose from, including the ceramic variants. Check out a vendor like Autogeeks or Google car detailing products and prepare to be amazed by the number and variations ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts