Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon, I had driven about 10 miles and parked it for about an hour. When I tried to start it to leave, it turned over but would not fire twice. This happened to me once before, and I remembered a thread about the chip/sensor in the key and flipped the key over. Presto...started right up then (I know.....coincidence, probably). I have about 2300 miles. Any thoughts or same experience????? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
When turning over FOLLOW THIS

TURN THE KEY TO THE ON POSITION AND WAIT MAYBE 15-30 SECONDS FOR THE FUEL PUMP TO BUILD UP PRESSURE THEN TURN FULLY FORWARD TO START. I'VE NOTICED A QUICKER START THAT WAY. WITH MY AUTO START IT DOES IT SO FAST IT ALMOST SEEMS LIKE IT'S GOING TO MISS BUT CATCHES ALL OF THE TIME. BY HOLDING IN FORWARD POSITION PRIOR TO FULL TURN YOU ARE SUPPLYING MORE FUEL PRESSURE FOR THE START.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
'X MOM said:
I remembered a thread about the chip/sensor in the key and flipped the key over. Presto...started right up then

Yup it states make sure there are no metal fobs close to the key when starting in the manual. Im sure this played into this.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys...

Glad to know (or I am assuming) that no one sees this issue as a major problem. It just makes me kinda nervous......especially after owning a lemon Blazer!:rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same thing happen at the grocery store Sunday. Drove it 10 minutes to the store and let it sit for 30 minutes. It must have tried to turn over for a good 4-5 seconds before I turned it off and pulled the key out to try again. Then it started right up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
what a poor design...

You would think Acura/Honda would have fixed something like this a while ago since their other products have had this for years.

This has happend to me on my MDX and it's kind of annoying. My Lexus has this security feature and it's never happend.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Only happened a few times during my break-in period, after 1000 miles never had a problem, even my auto start never misses. It sometimes sounds as if it is going to miss but the clifford auto start get's it every time. I would advise trying a different make of gas or a little higher octane. Sometimes the cheaper no-name gas may say they are 91 but actually 89 which could cause this starting problem. I hope you guy's remember that the MDX is fuel injected and you don't have to give it gas during the starting process. If you are pumping the gas pedal this could also cause problems. Just turn the key and start!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts