Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are in need of 4 or 5 "new" computers for our Williamsville dealership, and I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to work out an accessories trade deal, which has been approved by our comptroller. It must be in excellent shape, minimum pentium II, with reformatted hard drives and all Windows and MS Office/Word loaded and ready to go with software. Also need a laptop for me that need not have the same requirements. Must be internet ready with a modem, DSL cards a plus. Email me at [email protected] if interested!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
My 2 cents-

Buy 5 Dells. One company, one configuration, all on-site service contracts. Heck, probably get systems for $800 complete.

For your laptop, check out dell's refurbished.

Then again, maybe Michael Dell is an acuramdx.org member and has already emailed you...

Ard

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ard,

Sounds like the dealership is looking to spend a lot less than buying from Dell. I would think all the items that Tim is asking for owuld cost about just $1000 to $1500, given they are looking for CPU's as slow as Pentium II.

Tim,

If my assumption of spending as little as possible is true, maybe you all can order these refrub Dells from CompGeeks

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=L466CX-1B
These are 466mhz Celerons for $169 each.

I would not think you would want anything slower. The savings would be just a few dollars.

I'm not related in Compgeeks in anyway except as a customer. Their refurb systems make good deals as gifts to schools and non-profits.

Take a look at the full list of current refurbs at:

http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=SYS

Oh, I suggest that you all buy new monitors though. Monitors tend to get fuzzy as they age. New 15" are just $80 each.

I agree with Ard that you all should get identical systems. Really a pain dealing with different systems. If you all can get new systems, can't go wrong with Dell. I've enjoyed every Dell I've gone thru.

ct

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tim,

Here's another reason to get Dells ... Warranty.
When my HD died a week after I got it they shipped one out the next day (once I convinced them I knew what was wrong and they didn't need to send a tech out to diagnose/fix it).

For about $839 you can get a 1.3 GHz 128 MB 20GB system that is more powerful than my $3800 PII 450MHz 128 MB 14 GB (w/o the 21" monitor, graphics card, and sound system upgrades) that I bought in 1998.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/model_dimen_1_dimen_150d.htm

This was configured with MS Office vice Works, and a NIC which increased the starting price.

I assume this is mostly for office automation/order entry purposes.

There are other vendors out there with similar deals but I've only dealt with Dell.

I also agree with gadgetdog about getting new monitors. Depending upon what you do with them it might be worthwhile to get a 17" or even a 15" flat panel if deskspace is at a premium (or to impress your customers).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts