Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone opened up the Turn Signal Flasher Relay in our 2nd gen X or better yet successfully modified it to work with LED turn signals? If not I might try if I don't have to take the whole dash apart to get to it.

I went LED crazy after replacing my burned out fog lights. I replaced all the the T10 style connector bulbs in the car and all the festoon bulbs inside the car. Now I want to do the turn signal bulbs but am trying not to go the resistor route if possible because the amount of heat they throw off.

·
Registered
653 Posts
You need to solder resistor in to flasher relay.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping the shunt resistor inside is a hoop style metal bar where it can be shaved down to lower the load value the relay is looking for. So if anyone has cracked one open and knows that it has one of these style resistors inside that would be great to know.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am hoping the shunt resistor inside is a hoop style metal bar where it can be shaved down to lower the load value the relay is looking for. So if anyone has cracked one open and knows that it has one of these style resistors inside that would be great to know.
Shunt needs to be replaced with resistor, you need to unsolder and replace it with resistor.

this will work:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it. I will try it out and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Got it. I will try it out and let everyone know how it goes. Thanks.
It works just fine, I did it maybe 5 years ago.
Cool thing is that, even if LED will go out of service it will hyperflash.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect that is exactly what I want, to still have the hyperflash when an LED bulb does go out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Full disclosure I was going to grind down the shunt: VLEDS: How to Modify Flasher Relay but going through your previous work here I found this post: 1046082 that highlighted your directions with the link to a Ridgeline How To.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On a slightly related note, my passenger side RVM turn signal is not working. I am surprised to see that the other passenger side turn indicators are not flashing faster than before.
The LED current loss in the mirror is probably not enough to make it hyper flash. Is it even user replaceable? I guess it could be since my Mazda 3's is.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The LED current loss in the mirror is probably not enough to make it hyper flash. Is it even user replaceable? I guess it could be since my Mazda 3's is.
You mean specific bulbs in the RVM? not sure but people have replaced the entire strip on their own, I am not too confident as I dont want to break the mirror.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You mean specific bulbs in the RVM? not sure but people have replaced the entire strip on their own, I am not too confident as I dont want to break the mirror.
No, I meant the whole strip.

Just found this video:
, doesn't look too bad.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In Philly, no. But here in the burbs yes. In fact, I even got a ticket last year. Couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Successfully modded the flasher relay today using the VLEDS Grind the Shunt of the Relay Method. Although I did order the resistors mentioned earlier my soldering iron did not get hot enough to desolder the shunt on the relay. I have a oscillating tool that I used with the sand paper attachment that I used to grind down the shunt to really thin on all three sides. A Dremel with the grinding stone would be best. It took about 4 tries but it does work. I figured even if I went to far I would just solder it together and probably just cut a piece out. But taking my time allowed me to grind down just enough so that when and if a bulb does go out it will hyperflash to let me know. The blog article says he grinded his down to 25% of the original size. I would concur. All three sides were really thin. Thanks for the inspiration @dzionassi!

Here are my notes:

• Pop off the floor cover that goes along the foot well then pop the kick panel that contains the fuse cover after removing large pop cover near the dead pedal
  • Above the fuse box towards the firewall the large grey OMRON relay is the flasher relay for the turns and hazard
  • Remove the plugs around the relay to make it easier to pull it out
  • It uses two clips one on each side and was difficult for me to pull out; I used a small plastic wedge (seen others use a credit card) for popping clips off to leverage the visible side while using a small pipe wrench to jiggle out the relay (I did squeeze the relay a little too hard but only damaged the housing so be careful)
  • Once you get it out and open up the relay take out the circuit board and get to work grinding down the shunt which is a metal bar (refer to VLEDS article)
  • I tested it by just using the interface portion of the cover and the relay so I can easily get it in and out while grounding down iteratively
  • Took me 4 tries

·
Registered
653 Posts
Much easier, just to replace it with resistor ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Much easier, just to replace it with resistor ;)
I know, I got so pissed sitting there for 10 min with the soldering iron waiting for it to melt the solder and I realized the melting point must be higher than what my 15w iron can put out.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I know, I got so pissed sitting there for 10 min with the soldering iron waiting for it to melt the solder and I realized the melting point must be higher than what my 15w iron can put out.
Need to work on your soldering skills.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts