Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Turboed MDX

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  habbyguy 
#1 ·
Has anybody every turboed an MDX? If so can you post pics?

#2 ·
Because the engine type is one of the most produced engines ever and is now junkyard cheap there should be more turbo/ supercharged experiments happening. That’s a tight spot in there for the tubing so good luck and the AWD transmission isn’t strong enough to handle the power of the 3.5 NA version let alone another 40+ or more. I recently heard guys in Japan getting the Honda MDX’s and running a simple shot of NOS in them. I guess because if you ran any real boost you would have to get rid of the AWD and go all front or rear.
On YouTube there are two guys on a channel called GARAGE IdiotS who did so stuff with a J35 in a Civic body and ran it on the track.
I gutted mine thinking power to weight is power to weight! It was noisy as HELL but it was a rough second quicker to 60!
She’s just one big heavy girl!

Good luck

#3 ·
The 07-12 1st Gen RDX with the 2.3L turbo has a much better sh-awd system, not that much smaller than the 1st Gen MDX, and can be tuned to 300-350 hp/tq range (add cat delete downpipe, exhaust, larger injectors). I have a 08 RDX tech with Hondata reflash, ETS intercooler, hondata headshield gasket, K/N air filter, Progress RSB, and Eibach lowing springs for around 290-300 hp/tq range. I did everything back in 2010 and she is still running strong in 2020 with +175,000 miles.

#5 ·
few have done it aftermarket on an MDX. The largest issue is the header design that honda uses, so adding turbo is a bit difficult. Google Turbo ZDX and you'll see a russian gentleman who did it!

#6 ·
Well I did more research on the eco boost and there's just no reason to attempt to do it. I thought that Ford's eco boost really improved gas mileage and it doesn't. I have no clue why they call it eco lol. I'm curious about ways improve gas mileage, so far all I've really found is an aftermarket j-pipe

#7 ·
The turbo doesn't improve gas mileage. It allows the use of a much smaller motor (which DOES improve gas mileage), with the turbo creating enough power to allow the smaller motor to be adequate. Slap a turbo on a 3.5L V6 MDX, and your gas mileage is going to go from not good to really not good. ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.