Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reviewing several sources of information regarding turbocharging and/or supercharging the J-series engines. It would appear that this has been accomplished multiply for several other vehicles manufactured by Honda/Acura. I was especially interested in the Supercharger "kit" that is offered for the 3.7L TL by CT Engineering.

Given that this is the same 3.7L enginethat is in my MDX(for the most part)....would it be fair to assume (and yes, I know what that can lead to...) that this application could be installed in an MDX? Anyone have any experience with forced induction in the MDX? Input and suggestions would be welcomed. Thx!

PS....I'm not concerned about the rest of the drivetrain (ie, overtorqueing the transmission, etc...) this isn't for drag-racing purposes

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I email CT Engineering in Jan/14 asking the same questions and they said:

Hi,

At the moment we don’t have any plans for a production supercharger for the MDX. We need a reliable tuning option or ECU re-flash before we can even start prototyping a production kit.

We have discussed expanding our supercharger line in the near future and the MDX would be a great candidate. If you “Like” us on Facebook or check out our website on occasion you can stay up to date an everything we have going on around here.

If you have any other questions feel free to call or e-mail us anytime.

Thank you,

Chris D.
CT Engineering

I live and travel between 5000-10,000 feet in NM and Colorado. The MDX just needs about another 50 hp/tq to my liking. The extra few HP/TQ would help when loaded down and the speed limit is 75 mph. My RDX with Hondata+ETS intercooler loves the mountains; but, I don't have the space. I don't think CT Engineering will put much effort into the old 3.7L since it is out of production and the current 3.5L DI engines are leaning more towards "Utility" than "Sport".:(

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Jpipe and hfpc and tune its all you need :) I love TQ down low+ improved MPG

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hah- I'm also in Albuquerque and also interested in a turbo for my 2014 MDX for the same reason- compensating for altitude. My house is at 6000' and an engine only makes about 82% of sea level horsepower up here because ambient air pressure is only about 12.2 psi. Get up to 10k feet and it's something like 10.5 psi, so up there, running 5 psi of boost would be like getting back to sea level!

I I imagine these newer engines are pretty locked down and hard to boost without opening a can of worms, but it'd be nice to have a light pressure turbo. Light pressure is, I'm sure, all that'd be on the menu without reducing the compression ratio.

In the mean time, what is this J pipe and hfpc? How hard is it to go catless without triggering OBDII warnings?

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hah- I'm also in Albuquerque and also interested in a turbo for my 2014 MDX for the same reason- compensating for altitude. My house is at 6000' and an engine only makes about 82% of sea level horsepower up here because ambient air pressure is only about 12.2 psi. Get up to 10k feet and it's something like 10.5 psi, so up there, running 5 psi of boost would be like getting back to sea level!

I I imagine these newer engines are pretty locked down and hard to boost without opening a can of worms, but it'd be nice to have a light pressure turbo. Light pressure is, I'm sure, all that'd be on the menu without reducing the compression ratio.

In the mean time, what is this J pipe and hfpc? How hard is it to go catless without triggering OBDII warnings?
It kinda sucks with NA engine living in NM! Every place we need to go starts at 5000 feet at the Rio Grande river and can average 6000-7000 feet once you head north. Pretty much the only options for more hp/tq for the 2nd or 3rd Gen MDXs: https://www.rv6-p.com/mdx/3rdgen/

I was thinking about doing the Ktuner reflash, Rv6 High Flow Precats, and J-Pipe for my 11 MDX a few years ago. Just never got around to it after doing all the upgrades to my 08 RDX.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
For a small boost, has anybody looked at electric super-chargers like Phantom? Minimum invasion modification seems desirable.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah- the old RDX is a hoot up here. I'm excited for the new one, but I only buy used so the MDX is a stop-gap for a few years until I can find a used 3rd gen RDX.

Re-flashes don't really do much on non-turbo engines. High-flow precats would help a little. It looks like their catless pipes give you about 14 hp, based on their dyno for an Accord. I think that's about the most we can hope for for a bolt-on mod. I'm not sure how bad that'd make emissions though.

Electric superchargers are a possibility if you have a serious electrical system, like a Hybrid, but the couple hundred watts max you can draw from your stock electric system just isn't enough to make a difference. It takes serious power to compress air as fast as your engine uses it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
But seriously..............

If you are just looking to use boost to get back to zero altitude performance, there is no need to re-tune the motor. Add a low pressure turbo with an adjustable waste gate that limits the boost to 15 PSI Absolute Manifold Pressure and you stay within the factory EFI Map parameters. Should be a fairly easy DIY install.

·
Registered
42 Posts
But seriously..............

If you are just looking to use boost to get back to zero altitude performance, there is no need to re-tune the motor. Add a low pressure turbo with an adjustable waste gate that limits the boost to 15 PSI Absolute Manifold Pressure and you stay within the factory EFI Map parameters. Should be a fairly easy DIY install.
Yeah- getting me back to sea level performance would mean an extra 55 hp right from my door and as much 100 hp up in the mountains (air pressure is about 10 psi at 10k feet, and I can drive to over 11k feet only 25 miles from my house). That'd be a huge improvement and would allow nice passing opportunities on rural two-lanes, as well as good climbing performance! I'm not sure where I'd even start though. Suggestions?

·
Registered
306 Posts
ECU tuning has been out for awhile:

07-13 MDX ? KTuner, LLC

there is a guy out by me (gerzand) who makes a rotrex kit that would bolt right up for 4k ish. easy peasy. if we didnt have a baby on the way i may even entertain both options!

·
Registered
306 Posts
You’d be surprised. My j36 with bolt ons and a dyno tune using hondata put down 300/275 at the wheels, that’s about +40 hp and tq added to the wheels using the same RA we have in our 2g mdx.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts