Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been looking to add a Roof Top Tent (RTT) to our MDX. We'd ideally like a 4 person tent so the whole family can be in the tent. The Tuff Stuff Alpha RTT looks like a nice size and we like the ease of setup/teardown along with being lower priced than competitive 4 person RTTs.
However, the listed weight is 176 lbs (not sure if that's shipping weight or the actual weight, I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone from Tuff Stuff). I know the roof and OEM rails are only rated to 165 lbs. We don't have the roof rails yet. I plan to install the OEM roof rails, and considering OEM vs Thule Aeroblade crossbars. Regardless, both OEM and Thule are rated for 165 lbs.
Would the 176 lbs be too much for the MDX?

Along with the dynamic load limit, the Alpha RTT is rated at 1100 lbs load capacity. We (thankfully) don't weigh that much, but as a family, we're probably close to 550 lbs. Would that static load be a problem on the MDX roof?

Also, what are your thoughts on the AEM vs Thule Aeroblade (or similar aftermarket crossbars) for a RTT? I've read the Thule Aeroblade straps tend to disintegrate over time. I don't plan on removing the crossbars once installed, so ease of reinstall/removal isn't a huge concern.

Sorry for the series of questions. Thanks for any help/insight you can provide!

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
29 Posts
My gut is that asking the roof rack, bars and mounting points to support over 700 lbs is a huge ask. Does the owners manual actually distinguish between “dynamic” loading (as I take it you mean moving down the road at 70 mph with a 165 lb rating on the roof rack) and static loading (e.g. load of much greater than 165 lbs on the roof not rolling down the highway)? If not, I think 165 is 165 lbs, moving or not, other than I wouldn’t worry about 176 lbs. But 700 plus lbs isn’t likely covered by the factor of safety included in the 165 lb rating. This without looking at the manual myself.

Maybe a 2000 lb pop up trailer? I just saw a thread here yesterday or the day prior with a fellow sharing about pulling a full on 25’ long camping trailer of about 5k lbs with an MDX. I was surprised to say the least. I just can’t see asking the same (or very nearly so) 3.5 L V6 that’s in my Honda coupe to do that kind of work or anything like it. But it sure scoots that 3500ish lb coupe down the road all right.

Let us know what you come up with.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
165 is max load on top of the bars/roof rack. I would not try to have a family try and sleep on the roof of MDX at your estimated 550lbs. Too much risk with roof structure not being able to hold the weight up properly. Overloading the roof may damage welds and joints so in the event of an accident the car may not protect you as designed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts