Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. 1st post here.. been a long time member over at another forum, my 06 tsx have treated me and my family very well. Still love the car. Keeping it as my daily. Our '00 accord is showing it's age and it is time to have a bigger car. So went to a dealer near me the other day and saw about 4-5 2012-2013 MDX's.. Only want Tech or Advance package. Couple of questions for you MDX guys here.. I'm considering,

1. 2012, 48k miles, tech, $28,000 CPO
2. 2013, 37k miles, advance $32,300 CPO

Been reading a lot for the past week. What do you guys think of the advance package? Is it worth the $4,000 price increase in this case? Is the 2012 the best value? both cars look flawless inside, they are all off leases.. There's also the 3rd gen 2014 on their lot as well going for around $38k.

I've read about problems of the 2nd gen MDX.

1. oil consumption
2. steering wheel vibration at 70-80mph speeds. ( there is a big thread here with this problem and I did not find the solution for this problem, either road force balance all 4 wheels, also read more common with base and tech than the advance with the bigger wheels, is it true?
3. for the advance package, shocks/struts need to be replaced and can fail at any time.

Was considering the JX/QX60 but no cvt for me, and Lexus RX does not have a 3rd row. We need the 3rd row. What are your thoughts guys? Just need input and your experience. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I never really felt the Advance was worth the premium, particularly with the potential for shock/strut problems. It was about $5k more when new and the vented seats were the only thing that made me even consider it. It's obviously a better deal now (another negative when buying new...advance loses more value) and with the lower miles it might be worth it to you. I think both are a little pricey. The advantage to the '14 is considerably better fuel economy. At $38k I'd be looking closely at a new Pilot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never really felt the Advance was worth the premium, particularly with the potential for shock/strut problems. It was about $5k more when new and the vented seats were the only thing that made me even consider it. It's obviously a better deal now (another negative when buying new...advance loses more value) and with the lower miles it might be worth it to you. I think both are a little pricey. The advantage to the '14 is considerably better fuel economy. At $38k I'd be looking closely at a new Pilot.
I am only comfortable in dealing with CPO, I live in NY and lots of cars here at random private car dealers are either from an auction or have a bad service history or no history at all. I am still negotiating with the dealer for the '13 Adv. The '14 is out of our price range. What is a good price for the '13 Adv? Because the '13 tech on 4-5 dealers are around $1,000 to the same price range from the '13 Adv. That is why I am seriously considering this unit.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I guess it's not that bad of a price in NY, particularly a CPO. I'm not a huge fan of CPO and Acura's program isn't that great compared to many other "luxury" brands. If you find a non-CPO at an Acura dealer that's still within the original 4/50k factory warranty, you can add an Acuracare warranty at a much longer term than what comes with the CPO. You can add full coverage for up to 120k miles for probably a similar cost as the mark-up on a CPO car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate your help.. Went again today to the dealer and found out it was sold, some one bought it without even test driving the vehicle. So the advance is out for me. Back looking again, concentrating on the tech cpo's around my area and found a few, pricing is even better. Actually I am glad someone bought it and now I am more comfortable getting the tech which is jut under my budget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts