Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

121 - 133 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Is Acura's claim that you may not have followed the MID when it called it an ATF service and that this judder is now your fault?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
The TSB said do a 3 times flush which cost $600.
It's not at all difficult to change the tranny fluid in a 2015 MDX. Have you considered just doing the 3x flush yourself? Alternatively you could have some other qualified mechanic do it but just make sure they use the real specified Honda/Acura fluid. Either way s/b substantially less than $600. Even another Acura dealer may quote you a lower cost than that.

I'm also curious as to whether you did the recommended transmission fluid changes. If you did and now have some issue I'd expect Acura to cover whatever it takes to fix the problem. If you didn't do the required maintenance on the tranny then I don't blame them for not wanting to cover it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
So since I'm not really updating this thread with each TSB anymore, I thought I should give some highlights from the last few months.

-2014-2015: I keep seeing new posts about ATF being burnt or tranny making shuddering/juddering. There's been a TSB out about how the ATF (DW-1) burns earlier than expected, so make sure you got the software updates to prevent this or if you're out of warranty, change your ATF diligently (probably better to do it on 45k intervals than 60k). Oh, by the way, there's a bolt on the tranny that may leak ATF out. Watch for that.
-2014-2016: Steering wheels are still squeaking when extending or moving up/down and seats are still making clicking noises.
-2016-early 2017: Yalls know about the ZF9 warmer issue. Well they've gotten the test procedure down better so if you're affected by a squeak when accelerating after slowing @ around 20mph, you're probably looking at a tranny replacement down the line. Usually it gets pretty bad around 35k supposedly.
-2016+: We've got a fuel pump issue that will cause the vehicle to stall sometimes while driving. They will either clean your system or replace the pump (usually the first option).
-2017+: Your fuel pump door alignment sucks, but it can fixed with a nubby on the latch. Also, you have a need to flush your brake system because of intrusion of other gases. Creates soft/low pedal. Also, like 2014-2015s, the SPORT HYBRIDS use ATF DW-1. Guess what, you have the burnt ATF issue too! Same symptoms and you should get the TSB fix to prevent this and probably still monitor/change your ATF diligently on earlier intervals.

Trannies and Honda! Never a good pairing!

·
Registered
244 Posts
-2014-2015: I keep seeing new posts about ATF being burnt or tranny making shuddering/juddering. There's been a TSB out about how the ATF (DW-1) burns earlier than expected, so make sure you got the software updates to prevent this or if you're out of warranty, change your ATF diligently (probably better to do it on 45k intervals than 60k).

Also, like 2014-2015s, the SPORT HYBRIDS use ATF DW-1. Guess what, you have the burnt ATF issue too! Same symptoms and you should get the TSB fix to prevent this and probably still monitor/change your ATF diligently on earlier intervals.

Trannies and Honda! Never a good pairing!
On the '14 and '15 models the maintenance minder usually calls for ATF changes at around 30K intervals. If you want to be more strict with maintenance, you can either do it at shorter intervals (20-22.5K or so, or even less if you're a tad OCD), or do multiple drain and fills when the code pops up on the maintenance minder.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
On the '14 and '15 models the maintenance minder usually calls for ATF changes at around 30K intervals. If you want to be more strict with maintenance, you can either do it at shorter intervals (20-22.5K or so, or even less if you're a tad OCD), or do multiple drain and fills when the code pops up on the maintenance minder.
Mm gotcha I've been wondering when the 3 usually comes up. Most transmissions go by the 60k intervals but these proprietary units and fluid are clearly a different story. I do remember the old documents for the 5 speed before the maintenance minder existed was something like 45 then 30 there after. People were changing at 15s for peace of mind.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,584 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
They need to make these in Japan again, only they can assemble their cars well.
From the TSB -
During production, a supplier produced some timing belts that do not meet specification.
That's not an assembly error and it wouldn't have made any difference where the vehicle was manufactured.

·
Registered
386 Posts
for the judder TSB.

given the cost of DW-1's.

has anyone looked into the idea of going with aftermarket tranny fluids--one's compatible with Honda/Acura--to use as a flushing agent? Im mean in the first few sentences for the TSB indicate you could.

So rather than flush OEM fluid (DW-1) money down the toilet.

I am thinking to complete the last flush with Honda's fluid and top it off with their same fluid.

So if Honda is asking to flush 3x. just do 2x with aftermarket tranny fluid, then 1x with DW-1 to top it off.

·
Registered
123 Posts
for the judder TSB.

given the cost of DW-1's.

has anyone looked into the idea of going with aftermarket tranny fluids--one's compatible with Honda/Acura--to use as a flushing agent? Im mean in the first few sentences for the TSB indicate you could.

So rather than flush OEM fluid (DW-1) money down the toilet.

I am thinking to complete the last flush with Honda's fluid and top it off with their same fluid.

So if Honda is asking to flush 3x. just do 2x with aftermarket tranny fluid, then 1x with DW-1 to top it off.

How much are you going to $ave by doing this?
How are you planning to drain 100% of aftermarket ATF you put in on 3rd drain & fill?

FYI, I buy a case of ATF(Acura DW-1) from online dealer for less than $80, shipping included.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I wouldn't do that. The whole point of the 3x in the 3x flush is that the torque converter retains fluid even when no more fluid is draining out of the drain plug hence doing the flush 3 times in an attempt to get 'most' of the old fluid out. If you did 2x with a different brand and then 1x with the Acura fluid you'll end up with a mix of fluids in the trans, which probably isn't going to be ideal and could potentially result in warranty claim issues if something should fail later on. It's not like the normal engine oil where Acura states it can use any oil that meets the certain specs - on the trans oil I think they state to only use Acura fluid - no other brand.

It's not the cheapest fluid around but doesn't break the bank either - especially in proportion to the cost of the vehicle or the cost of a rebuilt/new trans.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I wouldn't do that. The whole point of the 3x in the 3x flush is that the torque converter retains fluid even when no more fluid is draining out of the drain plug hence doing the flush 3 times in an attempt to get 'most' of the old fluid out. If you did 2x with a different brand and then 1x with the Acura fluid you'll end up with a mix of fluids in the trans, which probably isn't going to be ideal and could potentially result in warranty claim issues if something should fail later on. It's not like the normal engine oil where Acura states it can use any oil that meets the certain specs - on the trans oil I think they state to only use Acura fluid - no other brand.

It's not the cheapest fluid around but doesn't break the bank either - especially in proportion to the cost of the vehicle or the cost of a rebuilt/new trans.
what is a good honda set for ATF-DW1 that is cheaper than going into a B&M dealer then?

thanks

121 - 133 of 133 Posts
About this Discussion
132 Replies
39 Participants
manera
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing