Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A TSB, but it is a critical article for 2016+ MDXes!

A service article came out last month that shows that the rear differential may be prone to leaks. Use this article as a reference of where to watch out for leaks. During your #6 service is a good time to watch out for them, but generally keep watch as to not burn out the rear differential (since the new rear diff is more prone to heat).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
New TSB for the 17 Hybrid model:

TSB 17-029 - Safety Recall: 2017 MDX Hybrid Fuel Feed and Purge Hose Mis-Installation
Applies To: 2017 MDX Hybrid - ALL - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility

Pretty big boo boo if you ask me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Sorry for the lack of updates. Finally found a day off to do it:

TSB 17-034 - MIL Comes On with DTC P0430 (Front Bank Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold [Bank 2])
Applies To: 2016-17 MDX - ALL - ALL

Attachments

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
For reference, TSB 15-054 was updated to Version 3.0 on May 10, 2016 to include a new symptom. I have included the updated version here.

TSB 15-054 - Transmission Function Improvements: Sensation of Surge While Braking, Slow Downshift Response at Low Engine Speeds and Other Listed Symptoms
Applies To: 2016 MDX - 2WD Base - From VIN 5FRYD3H2.GB000001 thru 5FRYD3H2.GB012656
2016 MDX - 2WD Technology - From VIN 5FRYD3H4.GB000001 thru 5FRYD3H4.GB012723
2016 MDX - 2WD Technology and Entertainment - From VIN 5FRYD3H6.GB000001 thru 5FRYD3H6.GB012711
2016 MDX - 2WD Advance - From VIN 5FRYD3H9.GB000001 thru 5FRYD3H9.GB012787
2016 MDX - AWD Base - From VIN 5FRYD4H2.GB000001 thru 5FRYD4H2.GB039814
2016 MDX - AWD Technology - From VIN 5FRYD4H4.GB000001 thru 5FRYD4H4.GB039727
2016 MDX - AWD Technology and Entertainment - From VIN 5FRYD4H6.GB000001 thru 5FRYD4H6.GB040204
2016 MDX - AWD Advance - From VIN 5FRYD4H9.GB000001 thru 5FRYD4H9.GB039756

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Recall

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/acura-mdx-sport-hybrid-suvs-recalled-fuel-leaks.shtml
Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SUVs Recalled Over Fuel Leaks

Acura MDX Sport Hybrid engine fuel feed hoses and fuel purge hoses may have been misrouted.

By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.com
Posted in Recalls

September 7, 2017 — Acura is recalling nearly 200 model year 2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SUVs to fix fuel leaks that may cause the vehicles to catch on fire.

Acura says the engine fuel feed hoses and fuel purge hoses may have been misrouted by assembly employees.

The crossed hoses can contact other components and damage the hoses, possibly causing the hoses to leak gas.

Acura doesn't know when the recall will begin, but dealers will inspect the routing of the fuel feed hoses and the fuel purge hoses and if misrouted, the hoses will be replaced.

If you own a 2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid and have questions about the recall, please call 888-234-2138 and use recall number KF8.

CarComplaints.com has complaints about the Acura MDX and many other Acura vehicles.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/acura-mdx-sport-hybrid-suvs-recalled-fuel-leaks.shtml
Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SUVs Recalled Over Fuel Leaks

Acura MDX Sport Hybrid engine fuel feed hoses and fuel purge hoses may have been misrouted.

By David A. Wood, CarComplaints.com
Posted in Recalls

September 7, 2017 — Acura is recalling nearly 200 model year 2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid SUVs to fix fuel leaks that may cause the vehicles to catch on fire.

Acura says the engine fuel feed hoses and fuel purge hoses may have been misrouted by assembly employees.

The crossed hoses can contact other components and damage the hoses, possibly causing the hoses to leak gas.

Acura doesn't know when the recall will begin, but dealers will inspect the routing of the fuel feed hoses and the fuel purge hoses and if misrouted, the hoses will be replaced.

If you own a 2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid and have questions about the recall, please call 888-234-2138 and use recall number KF8.

CarComplaints.com has complaints about the Acura MDX and many other Acura vehicles.
For reference this is 17-029 posted 4 posts up (please try to check first to avoid duplication, thanks).

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's one to address a ticking noise from the dash or the front damper on 2014s and 2015s (although, I swear I have this on my 2016). Apparently the body paint is sticking to the upper mount, causing it to creating a ticking noise. The fix includes a stiffener that essentially secures the upper mount against the body (so, basically they're somewhat loose in stock form).

TSB 13-039 - Ticking from the Dashboard or Front Damper
Applies To: 2014-15 MDX - ALL - ALL
I have a 2017 Advance and I believe I have the ticking in the passenger front shock. It's a constant tick that doesn't speed up or slow down with speed. Light up/down or side to side motion of the body makes it tick. The ticking stops with the tire off the ground.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All- I'm having the transmission Judder on my 2014 AWD Tech addressed. I purchased the car at an Acura dealership with 59K mi and now in for my second oil change since beginning of my ownership. 2 days after purchase the car was brought in to address a small interior trim defect and to have the transmission judder looked into. At each oil change service the trans judder has been brought up. The tech was not able to reproduce the symptom upon test drive.

At today's appointment the issue was brought up again. They performed the software update which must be the B16-062. They said my vehicle doesn't fall under the VIN range for B16-063. Of course the trans fluid was described as really dirty and in need of a "flush". Eye roll, I told them to proceed with the flush ~$200 which consists of "taking out the old fluid using a machine which removes all the old fluid and any particles, then fill once with new." I'm curious for the thoughts of those on this thread. I don't fully understand the VIN range as stated on the TSB. Obviously, I would rather have the triple fill flush performed for free if my vehicle qualified for B16-063. VIN is 5FRYD4H48EB003628 and I have an extended warranty purchased through the dealership.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Hi All- I'm having the transmission Judder on my 2014 AWD Tech addressed. I purchased the car at an Acura dealership with 59K mi and now in for my second oil change since beginning of my ownership. 2 days after purchase the car was brought in to address a small interior trim defect and to have the transmission judder looked into. At each oil change service the trans judder has been brought up. The tech was not able to reproduce the symptom upon test drive.

At today's appointment the issue was brought up again. They performed the software update which must be the B16-062. They said my vehicle doesn't fall under the VIN range for B16-063. Of course the trans fluid was described as really dirty and in need of a "flush". Eye roll, I told them to proceed with the flush ~$200 which consists of "taking out the old fluid using a machine which removes all the old fluid and any particles, then fill once with new." I'm curious for the thoughts of those on this thread. I don't fully understand the VIN range as stated on the TSB. Obviously, I would rather have the triple fill flush performed for free if my vehicle qualified for B16-063. VIN is 5FRYD4H48EB003628 and I have an extended warranty purchased through the dealership.

Cheers
Hmm it seems odd that you have an extended warranty and they charged you for a flush as specified in the TSB to be done for the judder... This is AcuraCare right? I thought that covers warranty items with the transmission? I can't actually check the VIN range for 16-063 since it is via iN VIN rather than a range listed, but 063 is usually only done if 062 didn't really solve the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hmm it seems odd that you have an extended warranty and they charged you for a flush as specified in the TSB to be done for the judder... This is AcuraCare right? I thought that covers warranty items with the transmission? I can't actually check the VIN range for 16-063 since it is via iN VIN rather than a range listed, but 063 is usually only done if 062 didn't really solve the issue.

We purchased a warranty, looks to be by Ethos, 3rd party warranty through dealership finance guy. I have to dig up the paperwork but it takes the coverage out to 120K miles at a price of $2733.00.

The In-Service date of the vehicle was 6/27/13. This seems to be an early 3rd Gen model. If Acura has a range of VIN's eligible for the 16-063 could it mean that different fluid (acceptable fluid) was used in the non-eligible VIN's.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
TSBs 17-009, 17-010, and 17-026 For Failed [ZF9] Transmission Warmers

If you're experiencing chirps at the 3-4 shift with the ZF9 transmission, you likely have this problem. Also, degrading shift behavior is another sign. 17-026 also applies to the 2017s, but oddly not the 009 and 010 TSBs. Also, you could be a rut like me, where I get the chirps, but my warmer is not within the affected manufacturing dates and you might need to spend extra time taking videos to convince the dealer and Honda corporate.

TSB 17-009 - Product Update: MDX 9-Speed Transmission Warmer
Applies To: 2016 MDX - All - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility

TSB 17-010 - Product Update: MDX 9-Speed Transmission Warmer (Transmission Previously Replaced for Transmission Warmer Leaking)
Applies To: 2016 MDX - All - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility

TSB 17-026 - Warranty Extension: MDX Transmission Chirps During 3-4 Shift, Poor Shift Quality, or Engine Overheats Because of Defective ATF Warmer
Applies To: 2016 MDX - ALL - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility
2017 MDX - ALL - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility (Five MDXs affected)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts

Cheers
Update on my Transmission issue. The dealership performed "Replace Transmission fluid and front transfer assembly fluid".
They did a software update as well. All transmission shifting and judder oddities seem to be completely fixed.

'front transfer assembly fluid' - Does this refer to the front diff?

Hoping that performance continues at this level. I'm satisfied with the fix. In hindsight, purchasing the vehicle with 59K mileage, I should have negotiated the trans fluid change and AWD fluid change at that time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
another 2015 Acura MDX judder issue

I just purchased a pre-owned 2015 Acura MDX earlier this month and am going back to the dealership today about this. I'm hoping it can be fixed cause I love the car! Thank you for all this great info!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
So I've been a bit behind on updating this thread and I think it's a bit disorganized since we can't really update old posts. As such, I'm going to recommend that everyone uses these threads from Acurazine, since EE4Life diligently updates them immediately when they come out by model year and also when TSBs are superseded by new ones:

2014: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/2014-acura-mdx-technical-service-bulletins-947745/
2015: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/2015-acura-mdx-technical-service-bulletins-947741/
2016: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/2016-acura-mdx-technical-service-bulletins-947739/
2017: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/2017-acura-mdx-technical-service-bulletins-947743/
2018: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/2018-acura-mdx-technical-service-bulletins-962250/
2019: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-discussion-2014-414/2019-acura-mdx-technical-service-bulletins-971626/

These links are THE ultimate locations for TSBs.

Btw, there's a few interesting new ones to look into for some of you folks like:
-6 speed tranny may have a bolt that wasn't torqued correctly and may be leaking ATF as a result
-REVISED steering column noise TSB
-REVISED 9 speed warmer failure TSB
-Clicking noises from the power seats
-Capless fuel filler issues
-Poor grounding of the alternator

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Just a heads up, but 2018s and 2019s got hit with the 15-039 TSB where the transmission leaks due to a torn gasket during assembly. Why it's still an issue? Who knows... But for reference, the ZF ATF is GREEN in color.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 15 have a slight judder as well. Brought it to the dealer and they are gonna do the software update but want me to pay for the transmission flush. Mine was out of warranty for 2 week. He said it was covered under the powertrain warranty for the software update but the fluid flush is not cover since it's maintenance. The fluid is what causing it to begin with, so shouldn't they cover the fluid as well? This doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
There are two tsbs for that judder. 16-062 requires them to change the atf also. I suggest first printing out that tsb to show them that it requires the atf to be changed. If they still resist, call Acura client relations and start a case. They may be able to provide good will and force the dealers to complete the tsb at no cost. I say may because not all brands are nice about good will.

Oh i see you still have powertrain warranty. Wtf is with this dealer??!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are two tsbs for that judder. 16-062 requires them to change the atf also. I suggest first printing out that tsb to show them that it requires the atf to be changed. If they still resist, call Acura client relations and start a case. They may be able to provide good will and force the dealers to complete the tsb at no cost. I say may because not all brands are nice about good will.

Oh i see you still have powertrain warranty. Wtf is with this dealer??!

Just talked to the dealer. They said they called Acura and Acura said they will pay for the update but won't pay for the fluid flush. The TSB said do a 3 times flush which cost $600. I contacted Acura Customer relation, will see what they say.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts
About this Discussion
132 Replies
39 Participants
manera
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing