Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Failures in the ZF9 are pretty widespread. Just Google "ZF9 transmission failure" or "ZF9 class action". FCA has already had to replace thousands of them. They didn't do that out of good will.
Makes you think why there is no lawsuit against Acura for the ZF9 (looks like Acura is able to dodge the bullet easily).

Not going into detail, but I saved up 10 years before buying my 2019 MDX (was suppose to be my dream car, so I didn't read too much about transmission problems)

Now 1.5 years later with the MDX, I feel that my Camry from 2001 drives better :(

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Makes you think why there is no lawsuit against Acura for the ZF9 (looks like Acura is able to dodge the bullet easily).

Not going into detail, but I saved up 10 years before buying my 2019 MDX (was suppose to be my dream car, so I didn't read too much about transmission problems)

Now 1.5 years later with the MDX, I feel that my Camry from 2001 drives better :(
So far, it looks like there’s one for the TLX and one for the Ody, but the drivetrain is basically the same in the MDX, so it’s probably only a matter of time.

That said, mine has been acceptable since the TSB in this thread. There are many behaviors I don’t love, but it’s no longer making me think it’s going to wrest itself from the engine anymore.

·
Banned
228 Posts

You had every opportunity to research, test drive and compare an MDX with your old Camry. Not sure why you decided to not do this, pay for it/keep it even you are not 100% satisfied(?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Acura MDX SHAWD-AWD Tech/Ent
8 Posts
Our 2019 MDX SHAWD-AWD TECH/ENT has been suffering this since about 20K miles. It has been dealer serviced its whole life and I complained about the hard shifting and banging gears every time. They just said it is common and they all do it. This TSB service is interesting. Our MDX is at the dealership now with a total transmission electronic failure rendering us stranded today. I will peruse having this TSM service performed as well during its repair. I will keep this Forum posted of our findings. Thanks for sharing this service bulletin Seawall !!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Our 2019 MDX SHAWD-AWD TECH/ENT has been suffering this since about 20K miles. It has been dealer serviced its whole life and I complained about the hard shifting and banging gears every time. They just said it is common and they all do it. This TSB service is interesting. Our MDX is at the dealership now with a total transmission electronic failure rendering us stranded today. I will peruse having this TSM service performed as well during its repair. I will keep this Forum posted of our findings. Thanks for sharing this service bulletin Seawall !!!
Yep, before I found this TSB, I got a lot of “that’s normal”, type of response from my local dealer too. Of course, they said that about every one of the factory defects in my MDX, so I continued to research and try to resolve on my own. My dealer has proven to be less than competent.

I have since driven other MDXs, both ‘19 and ‘20 models as loaners. Some are better than others. Most drive better than mine did before the TSB. I definitely think quality control at ZF is a major problem. I also think the factory fill of transmission fluid may be part of the problem, especially since this transaxle has no dipstick so that the fluid level can be checked during pre-delivery,

I won’t buy another vehicle of any kind with a ZF transaxle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yep, before I found this TSB, I got a lot of “that’s normal”, type of response from my local dealer too. Of course, they said that about every one of the factory defects in my MDX, so I continued to research and try to resolve on my own. My dealer has proven to be less than competent.

I have since driven other MDXs, both ‘19 and ‘20 models as loaners. Some are better than others. Most drive better than mine did before the TSB. I definitely think quality control at ZF is a major problem. I also think the factory fill of transmission fluid may be part of the problem, especially since this transaxle has no dipstick so that the fluid level can be checked during pre-delivery,

I won’t buy another vehicle of any kind with a ZF transaxle.
Gonna be honest with you, but all new transmissions, at least the automatic variants, are sealed transmissions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
So far, it looks like there’s one for the TLX and one for the Ody, but the drivetrain is basically the same in the MDX, so it’s probably only a matter of time.

That said, mine has been acceptable since the TSB in this thread. There are many behaviors I don’t love, but it’s no longer making me think it’s going to wrest itself from the engine anymore.
Did anyone on this board get to 100K miles with the ZF9 transmission?... without any repairs :)

It would give us folks a lot of hope that we just didn't waste our hard earned money for defected luxury.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I previously had an 17 MDX and it did not shift great, but not as violent as this 2019 does. Hoping the dealer is performing the TSP service as we speak...fingers crossed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I previously had an 17 MDX and it did not shift great, but not as violent as this 2019 does. Hoping the dealer is performing the TSP service as we speak...fingers crossed.
Really the 2019 worse than the 2017?? I thought Acura was doing better with the transmission year after year. Looks like maybe that was not the case.
Let us know how it is after the TSB (will be great for the first 500 miles)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
It is interesting how it can vary from car to car. My wife had an ‘18 TLX V6 which had the ZF9, and while I wouldn’t say it shifted buttery smooth, it never behaved poorly or in a way unbecoming of a near-luxury vehicle as my MDX has at times. In fact, it always reacted much more quickly to downshifts and rarely gear hunted. I had zero reason to expect the kinds of problems we have with the MDX and I’m amazed that this far into the model lifecycle that these problems persist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We picked the car up from the dealer last night. They said they had to do a complete computer software reinstall I assume it was the TSB service bulletin, they also said they did a re-flash of the ECU. Drove it out to dinner and it is way better so far. Will have to live with it for a while and will post results. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Also ordered the transmission lock release tool from a seller on ebay, less than half the price the dealer wants for it. It was a pain to get the MDX in neutral with the computer completely malfunctioning without the tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
From Vancouver, Canada here. Called one of my local dealerships in the area and brought up this TSB. They said it's an American only TSB and there is no equivalent for the Canadian market. Any fellow Canadians have any lucky with this?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
We picked the car up from the dealer last night. They said they had to do a complete computer software reinstall I assume it was the TSB service bulletin, they also said they did a re-flash of the ECU. Drove it out to dinner and it is way better so far. Will have to live with it for a while and will post results. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Also ordered the transmission lock release tool from a seller on ebay, less than half the price the dealer wants for it. It was a pain to get the MDX in neutral with the computer completely malfunctioning without the tool.
Through the first 500 miles, it will likely behave very well. This is the typical "learning period" under which it tends to shift optimally. I also believe it is commonly used to placate owners who complain as it's easy to do and typically lasts long enough that most will not want to have to go back to the dealer within a short time period. Don't fall into that trap. If they applied the TSB (which is a firmware update, specific to the transmission controller), your receipt should indicate it specifically.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Interestingly they did not give me a receipt ! I will give them a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My observation for a month after having the TSB done on my 2018 is the that sports mode is nearly perfect now. Comfort and normal still have initial notchy shifts if the car has been sitting for 16hrs+ but less jerky than before for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had them send me a PDF of my service. Looks like they did a TCM software update. Would this include the TSB? I hope !

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Had the TCM update installed on our '18 today. Seems to be shifting much better...at least on the drive home. The '20 loaner we had shifted great as well.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts