Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
@undertaker Thank you so much. I have found the TSB for my 17. Would this be covered under the warranty since I do know not all TSBs are free of charge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
if your car is in warranty, anything is free of charge short of wear and tear /accidents and yes all TSBs. On mine , it has made a def improvement (touch wood): the first two gear shifts from cold are still a bit 'notchy' but the jerk is much less pronounced (I think all ZF tranmissions are this way, the wife's A6 has the much loved ZF8 and it does that too to a certain extent) and suprisingly the remapped shift points add a lot to overall driveability of the vehicle both in town and on the highway, shifts are more subtle and quicker, finally beginning to enjoy the free revving J35 under the hood and not regret not sprinigng for the hybrid so much.

·
Registered
402 Posts
So I guess the TSB for the Navigation (TSB 18-011 would also be free). Do I need to bring the TSBs to the dealership when I take it in for service?

·
Registered
210 Posts
So I guess the TSB for the Navigation (TSB 18-011 would also be free). Do I need to bring the TSBs to the dealership when I take it in for service?
It can't hurt to have them printed out or on your phone. Some dealers like to play dumb to avoid doing work

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quick question... Does the transmission gets resetted after the transmission fluid gets a D&F or is it the same? I am going to take my MDX in the morning for the TSBs.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dealer just updated the TCM software and now is working on the 2nd TSB I brought up to them. Will report back in a while if the symptoms are gone. SA told me that a flush does remove some of these issues, but I am not sure if that is true or not.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
By any chance does this TSB also have any positive impacts on delayed acceleration. It occurs during the most inconvenient of times

·
Registered
33 Posts
So far from today's experience, the shifting has been worlds better than what is has been for the past 42k miles. No jerkiness, no delayed shifts, etc.
So here's a question. Is it possible that the TSB update has less to do with your percieved improved shifting and more to do with simply resetting the accelerator? Remember how a new MDX needs 500 miles to adapt, when your vehicle goes in for its TSB update, don't they reset the accelertor to like new and you are essentially driving it for another 500 miles of "setup"? This is my hunch, but I honestly don't know.

On our X5, there's a way to do this by holding your foot on the accelerator when the car is off for like 20 secs to reset it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So here's a question. Is it possible that the TSB update has less to do with your percieved improved shifting and more to do with simply resetting the accelerator? Remember how a new MDX needs 500 miles to adapt, when your vehicle goes in for its TSB update, don't they reset the accelertor to like new and you are essentially driving it for another 500 miles of "setup"? This is my hunch, but I honestly don't know.

On our X5, there's a way to do this by holding your foot on the accelerator when the car is off for like 20 secs to reset it.
They do reset the transmission learn state during the service and it does take about 500 to re-discover your patterns. That said, even having done the re-learn procedure, I could reproduce the more severe problems on-demand. After the TSB, that is not the case. It's a world of difference post-TSB, though not entirely perfect.

If you have a prospective vehicle you're looking to buy, you can test for issues by doing a very simple test.... going at a steady, low speed, give it a good bit of gas (like a half or more of the pedal) and then within a second or two, let off the gas. If it holds the revs and/or bounces around between gears like it's confused, then you have one of the bad ones. If it behaves like a normal car (i.e. RPMs return almost immediately to normal and resumes whatever gear you were in within a second or two), it's probably one of the better ones.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welp, I'm back to square one. Super harsh shifts were felt and shifting delays happened this morning while I was driving to Best Buy and Verizon to fix my phone. Should I wait till I hit the 500 mile mark and take it to another Acura dealer to redo the TSB?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Welp, I'm back to square one. Super harsh shifts were felt and shifting delays happened this morning while I was driving to Best Buy and Verizon to fix my phone. Should I wait till I hit the 500 mile mark and take it to another Acura dealer to redo the TSB?

I would give it the 500 miles to shakeout, especially if you were driving aggressively. If it persists, I think at that age/mileage, I’d be looking to have the transmission fluid changed. Again, especially if you haven’t been easy on the pedals.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would give it the 500 miles to shakeout, especially if you were driving aggressively. If it persists, I think at that age/mileage, I’d be looking to have the transmission fluid changed. Again, especially if you haven’t been easy on the pedals.
Not even using 50% throttle or WOT, just at 25% throttle and symptoms are showing. Looks like I need to find an excuse to go for a super long drive tomorrow. I did a D&F last oil change which was 3 weeks ago, so I have to see what my SA suggests me to do.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Not even using 50% throttle or WOT, just at 25% throttle and symptoms are showing. Looks like I need to find an excuse to go for a super long drive tomorrow. I did a D&F last oil change which was 3 weeks ago, so I have to see what my SA suggests me to do.
Did you do the drain and flush, or did your dealer/mechanic? It's tricky to do because the transmission has to be at a specific temp, the vehicle has to be put in a certain mode, and you have to use a very specific fluid ($50/qt!). If you or your indy mechanic used generic fluids, I could see that being an issue.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Did you do the drain and flush, or did your dealer/mechanic? It's tricky to do because the transmission has to be at a specific temp, the vehicle has to be put in a certain mode, and you have to use a very specific fluid ($50/qt!). If you or your indy mechanic used generic fluids, I could see that being an issue.
My MDX gets serviced by Honda only, warranty work is done at Acura.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My SA just told me to go back to Acura to get it done again. Should I go to a different Acura dealer this time?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
My SA just told me to go back to Acura to get it done again. Should I go to a different Acura dealer this time?
TBH, I don't trust my local Acura dealer to do anything more than an oil change or an ECU update. They have already proven themselves incompetent, damaging my vehicle on multiple occasions. If you feel good about yours, go for it if you're confident it wasn't done right last time.

·
Registered
402 Posts
TBH, I don't trust my local Acura dealer to do anything more than an oil change or an ECU update. They have already proven themselves incompetent, damaging my vehicle on multiple occasions. If you feel good about yours, go for it if you're confident it wasn't done right last time.
I called the dealer where we purchased our MDX (their Acura office and service is in their Honda dealership). Going to see what they recommend because I have a huge feeling the local Acura dealer didn't do the job correctly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So it's not a 100% cure for all shifting woes but mine seems to be holding well after the update. Initial shifts from cold are a bit laggy and notch but jerk factor is much less, warmed up wasn't much of an issue even before the update. I do not think they reset my ECU since that is only recommended for 2016 models per the TSB. I have a late MY 2018 (Feb 2018 build) fwiw and will probably ask them to a D&F on the tranny before the warranty expires but hoping this tsb is a lasting fix for most issues. 🙏

·
Registered
402 Posts
Taking in the MDX on Monday morning to another Acura dealer with receipts of the D&F and the TSB that was done recently. Hopefully it doesn't require a transmission fluid change again since that's what my Honda SA said.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts