Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This TSB is relatively recent and describes exactly what’s been happening with my 2019 base’s craptastic ZF9 since I took delivery. I’m wondering if anyone else who’s suffered with this POS has had this done yet.

My appointment is scheduled for Monday. I’ll let you know if it helps.

·
Registered
81 Posts
This would be amazing if it works. I was told by my svc mgr that Acura had given up on the ZF9 since they’ve got the new 10-spd. Glad he was wrong. Going to call and schedule on Monday - thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp, it's in the shop and they sent me home with a loaner (which is a 2020 with Tech package). Interestingly, the loaner drives like a dream. No issues with the transmission thus far, though admittedly I haven't driven it all that much. I have to say I MUCH prefer this vehicle with the Tech package. Lots of little niceties that just aren't there on the base. Maybe that's where I went wrong in buying my first MDX!

Anyway, no news yet obviously, but did want to share that if you're scheduling this service, you'll need a fully charged battery before they can perform the service. I had planned to wait with it, thinking it wouldn't take an hour, but since my MDX has been used only for short jaunts and pretty infrequently, given the COVID-19 situation, they couldn't start until they could fully charge the battery. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welp, it's in the shop and they sent me home with a loaner (which is a 2020 with Tech package). Interestingly, the loaner drives like a dream. No issues with the transmission thus far, though admittedly I haven't driven it all that much. I have to say I MUCH prefer this vehicle with the Tech package. Lots of little niceties that just aren't there on the base. Maybe that's where I went wrong in buying my first MDX!

Anyway, no news yet obviously, but did want to share that if you're scheduling this service, you'll need a fully charged battery before they can perform the service. I had planned to wait with it, thinking it wouldn't take an hour, but since my MDX has been used only for short jaunts and pretty infrequently, given the COVID-19 situation, they couldn't start until they could fully charge the battery. Just something to think about.
If the loaner has less than 500 miles, it may just be a factor of the AI not having learned a driving pattern yet. It’s after that when the shift problem appears, it seems.

Thanks for the battery info. I’ll be sure to go for a long drive before dropping it off

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The loaner had 800 miles, so it should have finished its learning cycle. I felt like it was more responsive overall and less throttle lag (it was in Normal mode, which is where I keep my '19). That could have something to do with the 19" wheels and Conti's it sported (versus the 18"/Michellins mine has). Either way, it's hard to quantify, but it did make me regret not springing for the 'tech' package yet again. But I digress...

I did pick my vehicle up just now and drove it home. There were no hard shifts and it seems like the shift pattern might have changed slightly at low speeds / light throttle. Other than that, hard to say if it helped as it too is now back in a re-learn cycle for 500 miles. I'll report back if I have any significant observations along the way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to the doctor this morning a few miles away, none of the usual (audible) clunk that I usually get at low speed, heading out of the neighborhood. Car was very responsive, no odd shifts whatsoever. Very pleased so far!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for giggles, I took the MDX out to my son's school, which is several miles away. I specifically chose that location, because every time I've ever driven that particular route, the shifting weirdness was always very evident at specific points in the trip, and without fail. Today I took it on that very same route over lunch and had no problems whatsoever. Sorry to post so much, so early... but it's really making me giddy. I've been dealing with these issues for over a year and thinking this thing was going to blow up and leave me sitting at some point. It's so nice to actually be able to enjoy this car!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just for giggles, I took the MDX out to my son's school, which is several miles away. I specifically chose that location, because every time I've ever driven that particular route, the shifting weirdness was always very evident at specific points in the trip, and without fail. Today I took it on that very same route over lunch and had no problems whatsoever. Sorry to post so much, so early... but it's really making me giddy. I've been dealing with these issues for over a year and thinking this thing was going to blow up and leave me sitting at some point. It's so nice to actually be able to enjoy this car!
Does it do well in all of the dynamic modes or do you have to remain in Sport? I only use sport since it makes the problem less noticeable, but for daily driving, I sure would love to use Comfort mode for the silky power steering.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it do well in all of the dynamic modes or do you have to remain in Sport? I only use sport since it makes the problem less noticeable, but for daily driving, I sure would love to use Comfort mode for the silky power steering.
I have mostly driven it in Normal, but I have experimented a bit with Sport and no evidence of a problem either way. I’ve probably put 100 miles on it since the update and it’s been flawless.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just reporting in that the dealer did mine while I waited (took them 35 minutes) and so far so good. More like great. Agree that they changed the shift points. It used to shift hard right around 25mph under light throttle and now there is no shift at that point. I’ve tried to “trick” it into misbehaving and couldn’t get it to hiccup. Hoping it’s not just because of the re-learn phase. Would be amazing if my only complaint about this vehicle was resolved with a 35 minute procedure!

Thanks a ton for pointing out this TSB, Seawall!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just reporting in that the dealer did mine while I waited (took them 35 minutes) and so far so good. More like great. Agree that they changed the shift points. It used to shift hard right around 25mph under light throttle and now there is no shift at that point. I’ve tried to “trick” it into misbehaving and couldn’t get it to hiccup. Hoping it’s not just because of the re-learn phase. Would be amazing if my only complaint about this vehicle was resolved with a 35 minute procedure!

Amazing, right?!

Yep, no problem at all. I appreciate your support in this discussion. I hope it helps others.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there TSB like this for 17
I had a peek at the same site I found the TSB information for my '19 on and I see that there are a metric buttload of TSBs out there for that year. I'd sift through it for ya, but it's quite lengthy. Have a look if you're so inclined:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Curious to hear how it's been going. I've had mine out on several long drives now (30+ miles) and it's really like a different car. No more throttle response lag in low speed manuevering. I've also had a few chances to goose it, and I swear it's putting the power down a lot more effectively now, banging off quick shifts near redline. This is actually feeling more like a performance vehicle now. I feel like there was more to this update than just minor tweaks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Curious to hear how it's been going. I've had mine out on several long drives now (30+ miles) and it's really like a different car. No more throttle response lag in low speed manuevering. I've also had a few chances to goose it, and I swear it's putting the power down a lot more effectively now, banging off quick shifts near redline. This is actually feeling more like a performance vehicle now. I feel like there was more to this update than just minor tweaks.
I've only put on about 100 miles in the city since the TSB, but so far still no complaints. I continue to try to make it do the hard shift by feathering the throttle around that previously problematic shift-point, but can't replicate. This goes for both Comfort and Sport modes. I still get a little bit of downshift lag when trying to moderately accelerate in Comfort Mode, but not in Sport. I would imagine that's by-design. I never had a problem with performance shifting, as mine has always felt quite nice when gettin' on it, and have only really goosed it once since the update and didn't notice much of a difference. I definitely agree with you that the shift points have changed.

Glad one of only two complaints i had with this vehicle appears to be resolved! Now if I could just change a lifetime of bad driving habits so the car stops locking up the brakes when I get "too close" to a car in front of me...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've only put on about 100 miles in the city since the TSB, but so far still no complaints. I continue to try to make it do the hard shift by feathering the throttle around that previously problematic shift-point, but can't replicate. This goes for both Comfort and Sport modes. I still get a little bit of downshift lag when trying to moderately accelerate in Comfort Mode, but not in Sport. I would imagine that's by-design. I never had a problem with performance shifting, as mine has always felt quite nice when gettin' on it, and have only really goosed it once since the update and didn't notice much of a difference. I definitely agree with you that the shift points have changed.
Very cool. I think part of it is that I was always afraid of the transmission blowing up on me, so I guess I was subconsciously babying it. Now that I feel confident, I'm driving it more enthusiastically.

Glad one of only two complaints i had with this vehicle appears to be resolved! Now if I could just change a lifetime of bad driving habits so the car stops locking up the brakes when I get "too close" to a car in front of me...
Haha, glad to hear I'm not alone. I've only had it lock the brakes up on one occasion when someone did a rather abrupt U-turn in front of me, but otherwise, it mostly flashes the warning up at me (which has at times been helpful). I feel like it's one more nanny I don't need... but I guess if it keeps the insurance rates down, then I can deal with it.

Anyway, thanks for checking in. I'm glad things are going well for you too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now that I’ve got a couple hundred miles on the TSB, I can comment further... Basically, this vehicle just wants me to be a safer driver (given the issue below plus the sensitivity of the forward collision braking previously mentioned).

Here’s the situation: I am in a hurry and don’t want to fully stop at a stop sign. I’m slowing down but not to a complete stop, see the coast is clear, and lightly apply the gas to accelerate again. It hesitates, figures out where to downshift to, and by then if I haven’t let off the gas due to the lack of response, it will all of a sudden grab the tires and lurch like I slammed on the gas at a stop.

NOTE: This doesn’t happen in Sport mode. I noticed it in Comfort mode, but never use Normal so can’t comment. In retrospect, I now know that if I’m in a hurry I just switch to Sport. Then it responds fast!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have not tried Comfort mode at all. But I can confirm that there is occasional hesitation and hunting in normal mode at a low speed, with a. abrupt change in throttle. It’s irritating, but it doesn’t slam into gear like it used to. This is not evident in Sport at all.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts