Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading through the TSB I understand that when the engine gets up to temp, the timing belt is contacting the back of the crankshaft pulley. To me, it seems that there would be excessive wear on the edge of the belt. It doesn't look like replacing the belt is part of the repair procedure even though it has to be removed to apply the fix.

Should I be concerned with the wear on the belt? I'm at 34k so it will be a while before the belt is due for replacement under normal conditions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it in this morning to have the chirp checked out and the shudder for what I suspect is the TC locking up. The SA said she didn't hear anything under the hood but then she brought out the tech and as soon as he walked up he verified that it was the timing belt chirp. OK.

We went for a test drive to identify the trans issue but the roads were covered in deep snow so couldn't get to the speed I needed to have it happen. The tech threw out a possibility that it could be the cyl deactivation that I am feeling.

Once we got back to the shop, the SA said that since the vehicle is not out of factory warranty and under the certified warranty, Acura may not cover any of it. I will be taking it back on Monday when the roads are clear so the tech can take a snapshot of the trans and determine if it is the TC issue with the TSB.

SA said she wants to know for sure if both issues are under TSB and then she will contact Acura once to see if they will step up and take care of the issues. They may not since it's an "adjustment" and not a failure. I look at this as a manufacturing issue. I can't believe something like this wasn't discovered during the factory warranty or during the certification process (especially the timing belt chirp) as this vehicle has always been serviced at the same dealership where I bought it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What was the solution? Is this for the shudder?
The solution for the timing belt was to add the shim per the TSB and new belt.

The shudder/vibration I was feeling was apparently different than the torque converter. It was diagnosed as the VCM (Variable Cyl Management) turning on.

Others have reported that if in fact the converter is the problem that the TSBs for drain/refill x3 and trans temp programming usually take care of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts