Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to add some side steps to my GG MDX but I cannot decide between the Factory and the Manik. I have already decided I want black.

I would love to save the $$ and go with the Maniks but the factory steps seem to be more understated.

Any thoughts or pics of MDXs wih blak Maniks?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is a pic of an MDX with black sidesteps.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm sure you're pondering Manik or O.E.M. because the Maniks will save a few hundred dollars and the O.E.M. asthetically seem a little more distinguished.

Though everyone has their own opinion, mine and the majority of people who have commented about the bars I put on, like the Polished Maniks the best. Cheaper than the OEM and I can't say enough of how great it looks. I thought it would be somewhat "flashy", but it just so well compliments the chrome handles and the wheels of the X... IMO, it enhances the distinguished look of the MDX...

The Black Maniks I have on my ML are there to simply to serve a purpose of helping a 6 year old boy get in. But on the MDX, the Silver Maniks are another story...

By the way, choosing the silver was not an easy decision for me. I searched and looked at photo after photo on this forum...

Sorry if I'm not much help especially since you stated that you've already decided on black...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I like the silver Maniks and that was what I was going to buy originally but, as you may know they are impossible to get until sometime in April.

I will be replacing the factory wheels next with some 18s and I am hoping to find some dark colored ones that will blend in better with the car. In fact if I could get my new wheels and door handles matched to the paint I would. So the polished silver is not a must.

I'm looking into finding someone that will powder coat the factory side steps GG as well. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
161 Posts
maniks on white X

I'm planning to install side steps on my white MDX. I have decided to put black side steps to contrast with the white color, but have not decided whether the oem or Manik side steps would look best. I know the Manik ones will stick out more than the oem ones, give more footing surface, and are less expensive ($210 vs $433)

Does any one know how the black Maniks look on a White MDX? I've seen chrome Maniks on other non-white MDX. I like the subtle look of the oem side steps, but like to have a little more stepping room for my elderly parents and young kid to get into the X.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Production problem at Manik ??

I have ordered a chrome side step from a local retailer SINCE DECEMBER. Still no luck:mad: ! They are telling me that Manik has problem with its chroming equipment (chrome falling/chipping off) and it has shut down the plant for a while to fix it.
Has anyone heard similar story?

Since we are in Canada, we have to wait for an extra few weeks before these steps arrive here. Currently looking at late MAY.

I guess I'll remain stepless for a while. :(

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Do a search on Manik

This is an issue that has come up often. Doing a search will allow you to dig up the old thread discussions.

I mention this because there have been some quality issues with Maniks in the past. I believe one old issue has been resolved, however it may indicate a bad track record?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Got my SS Maniks for my SS X!

I just picked up my SS Manik Side Steps from Van & Truck World in Toronto and they had them in Stock!!!:D :D Ordered then Tues, received from DC on Wed and had them cross shipped from Mississauga to Pickering For Thurs (Picked it up Sat when I also picked up my X...From now on, this day will be know as Glory Day:D ) Overall I would say the SS look alot better on the SS cause I compared the SS with the Acura SideSteps this morning during pickup and noticed that the Black seems to get lost with the ground. Obviously a personal choice but the SS Maniks look pretty sharp. Installation was a snap however the maniks seem to have a little more "give" in the front step due a lack of a support bar similar to the ones on the rear portion of the step. I think that was also mentioned in a previous step. The Acura sidesteps definitely feel more "firm". HTH

PS if u are looking for the Maniks, try Van & Truck, they have numerous locations in Canada (Including Ottawa I think) and may have more in stock. I paid $699CDN (about $2 USD :rolleyes: ) which is more that the prices that the US folks were getting. Good luck

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks SuperDave. You must have a hell of a good looking X. Would you have Van & Truck's phone number? Do they have a web-site?

p.s. I was in Toronto last weekend, saw many many X's, haven't seen one with SS step, guess I didn't bumped into you on DVP/404 or 401.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Van and Truck World

Here's the web address

http://www.vanandtruckworld.com/

The website is somewhat cheezy but here's the store info for Ottawa

OTTAWA
855 Industrial Ave.
Ottawa, ON
K1G 4L4

TEL: 613-738-7777
FAX: 613-738-7242
E-MAIL:

They also have a location in Kingston. Try to get ahold of the store manager, they can usually give u a better price then the first quote they give. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Mig Look in person to compare

I like the stock ones from acura. The aftermarket ones stick further away from the vehicle than the stock ones. I believe they blend in better. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
It is finally here !!

Duh !! I gave a courtesy call to Derand (store where I placed the order) before I call Van & Truck, sure enough, they “just” received a pair of Manik SS "last Thursday", and they are “just about” to call me. Anyway, I’ll get my steps installed this Saturday. My 2 tods can finally get in & out of the car without climbing and leaping.
Thanks again SuperDave for the great insight, who knows how much longer I’ll have to wait if I didn’t call today.
My stepless days are finally over ....
:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Steps

Congrats on the steps!! Now if only I could get a hold of the Manik Push Bar :rolleyes: . Those were 1600+tax. Whew!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts