Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Any reason why a roof mounted or hitch with a hanging or platform rack wouldn't work? I like being able to access the hatch with my hitch+platform bike rack installed.

19 MDX Hybrid, OEM hitch+harness, Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4, Aux 4-way lights:
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Reactions: 96firephoenix

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roof mounted might not be practical. Tow hitch with installation could be quite expensive plus bike rack .

Tow hitch might be more secure looks like .. Trunk mounted not sure .. need to further research..

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I did eTrailer 2" hitch for my 08 RDX for under $200. It was just 4 bolts and 10-15 minutes to install if you have a second pair of hands. I can't imagine the MDX eTrailer hitch costing more or being any more difficult for the MDX? U-Haul also sells hitches and can install in store. U-Haul will probably charge you $75-$100 to install.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Picking a bike rack is a little harder because it depends on the types of bike(s), ability to secure the bike(s) on the rack, ease of use/storage, preparing the bike for the rack. I switched from a Softride Dura 4 hanging bike rack to the Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4 platform rack. I was getting too much sway with the bikes with the hanging racks, I had to add straps to secure the tires and keep sway down, had to purchase a frame adaptor cross bar for the wife's step-thru, and the bikes would drag on the ground on big dips/bumps or steep inclines.

None of those issues with a platform rack that locks the bike down on top of the tires. The only downside with my rack is trying to secure with a bike with fenders (doesn't rain much in NM and you don't really need fenders).

Old Dura 4 hanging rack on 08 RDX with extra straps to help keep sway down. PITA to sometimes to strap everything down.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Crankset Vehicle

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I am looking for platform rack which I can fold when not in use ..
You just have pick between a platform rack that has a center mounted bar to secure on the top tube of the bike frame or a platform rack that has wheel mounted arms to secures on both tires. I had to add wider tire trays for my Saris rack because of the 4" fat tires on my two eMTB. The only PITA with cheaper platform racks are the ones that swing down/away and have too much bounce. Your bike will be bouncing like crazy over bumps or at hwy speeds if there is too much play in the swing joint(s). The top rated bike racks are expensive because of less play and built-in locks/cables.1UP, Thule, Kuat, Yakima, Saris, or Hollywood seem to be very popular and long lasting.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1UP USA. Not cheap, but you will not regret getting the best. Also, I would opt for the Acura hitch kit, as the receiver rides a lot higher and with the included shroud the look is a lot better than any other hitch.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't suggest a trunk mount, actually, my first bike rack was a trunk mount (My old Nissan didn't have the trailer hitch), it comes with a lot of straps and clamps that you need to secure around the trunk, it takes some time to put it on, to be honest, I will only use it to transfer the bikes to the park near my house, plus when going over bumps, the clamps on the trunk might scratch the paint off, also, there is a black seal runs along the side of the trunk, I am not sure if you will be able to find a place to secure the clamp, anyway, I will suggest getting a hitch bike rack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any recommendations on trunk mounted bike rack for MDX which can hold 2 bikes .
We have Thule T2 Pro that we use for our mountain bikes. It is a platform that could be folded when not in use. The rack is very reliable and keep our bikes secure. It comes in two versions, for 2 and 4 bikes. When our kid were biking with us we would place all four bikes on it. You can remove one attachment and use it for two bikes instead.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool I don’t have full size spare . I looked at the instructions to install the hitch simple steps provided I can lower the spare tire .

What tool I need to lower the spare time . As after tire is lowered hitch will be installed then pull the tire back in .

·
Registered
840 Posts
Cool I don’t have full size spare . I looked at the instructions to install the hitch simple steps provided I can lower the spare tire .

What tool I need to lower the spare time . As after tire is lowered hitch will be installed then pull the tire back in .
The tool comes with the car, it stores with the car jack, you should see it underneath the trunk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Search this site. There are lots of threads on hitch options. It's been a couple of years since I added an Acura hitch to my purchased-used 2015 MDX. I got the following from oemacuraparts.com.
Rectangle Font Circle Number Paper product

I got my hitch mainly for a mtn bike rack (again, 1UP USA, you won't be sorry), but I went ahead and got the wiring harness for future flexibility and resale value. In order to get the winch for the spare you have to get the Temporary Kit, but I wanted a full size spare, so I just gave the temporary spare to a tire shop. I ordered a factory rim from autorimshop.com.

I don't have many pics, but the following link shows the factory hitch with the shroud, and I've pasted a pic of my setup. Two things about 1UP hitch racks. 1. They're all aluminum, so they don't rust. 2. The way that the arms fold in to hold the wheels allows you to move the bikes back and forth so that they don't interfere with each other.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had Acura trailer hitch installed and use Allen bike rack from Walmart. It's a clever design folding out of way to open rear hatch. I carry two bikes no problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts