Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: Lost History & Auto Reset

ThomasABalt said:
History lost on 2nd fill and auto reset turned off.
I forgot about that! That is the one constant; every time we lose our trip history it is associated with the auto reset turning itself off. (of course I said that earlier when I started the thread).

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
kmhalperin wrote:
I have a feeling that my odometer along with the trip computer and mileage computer are on the fritz. Not only do I have mileage reports of anywhere from 14 mpg to 32 mpg, but after less than one year of driving, around town (taking my kid to school etc) the odometer reads 18, 250 miles. Never have I put more than 13,000 on a car in any given year. Does anyone know if the odometer is linked to the trip and mpg computer glitch?
kmhalperin,

This is the first time that I have seen a post regarding an odometer problem [there may be others, but I have not seen one].

A suggestion:

** Take another car and measure off distance [5 miles, 10 miles, etc.]

** Drive the same route/distance in your X and note the miles traveled.

** Compare and ye shall have an answer on whether the X odometer is working correctly.

I suspect that you will find that the odometer is correct and that you simply have driven more than you used to [trip(s) or whatever].

Hope this was of some value ... good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lost History

First problem w/lost history was logged 3/5/02 by msu79gt82. Has anyone had this problem corrected? permanently??
I've lost history without the auto reset being turned off.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
On ours, whenever it has happened, the Auto Reset was turned off.

We haven't had the problem in a while. Acura has done two things to the system since the last occurence:

** Reset the system.

then later (another visit)

** Installed the new "Nav Software Fix".

We don't know if the problem is fixed and if it is, which of the above fixed it ....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had a problem with my trip computer once. During the middle of a tank, while driving the entire trip computer reset itself and I lost all my trip information as well as all the history. After that, the mileage/range seemed a little off. When I took it in for the first service, I told them about it and they adjusted the mileage/range amounts so they were more in tune with the actual fuel tank levels. Now I'm happy, but it was weird.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
My MDX is in the shop now for this problem

I put it in last Friday (1/24) for the 32K service and to check out the Trip History problems. They still have not solved the problem. As least I have a loaner:rolleyes:

I will keep everyone updated regarding the problem.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Still in the shop

I beleive that most of Friday (24th) was spent on the 32K service and maybe a cursory look at the Trip History problem. However all of Monday and all of Tuesday and this morning is all about the Trip History problem:confused:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well they called and said it is ready

Could not find a definitive solution - they rebooted the Nav system and said give it a try:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've noticed that if I make sure the Navigation is on immediately before gassing, my history is fine. If I gas up without having the Navigation on the history is lost. I've not lost anything for the past two months whereas I never had history before. Anyone else have a similar pattern?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
DID NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Trip History is on the fritz again - two days after leaving the shop; where it was for 3+ days!!!!!!!!!!!!:3: :mad: :3: :28:

As usual the Auto Reset with Fillup turned itself off:confused:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I'll watch that

ThomasABalt said:
I've noticed that if I make sure the Navigation is on immediately before gassing, my history is fine. If I gas up without having the Navigation on the history is lost. I've not lost anything for the past two months whereas I never had history before. Anyone else have a similar pattern?
I have not noticed that pattern before, but I will watch for it. The only pattern I had seen before is that the Trip History is lost when the Auto Reset with Fillup turns itself off:confused:

·
Registered
273 Posts
msu79gt82 said:
Help - our Trip History function is on the fritz. Fairly often (at least once a week or so) the "auto reset with fill up" turns itself off. Also the odometer feature of the trip history (not dashboard) resets to zero as well.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed for the 2002 MDX?

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Don't know if they even know much about it

When mine was in a while back they had no clue - eventually reprogrammed the unit as per this forum; as previously stated it did NOT solve the problem:3:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
They are replacing the Navi unit

Our MDX is in the shop to replace a faulty SRS sensor in the passenger seat. Since it was in the shop I asked them to look at the Trip History problem while it was there anyway:rolleyes:

The Auto ReSet w/ Fillup "mysteriously" turned itself off while it was there!! So now they at least can confirm the problem. Since they do not know what is wrong, but it is wrong, they are replacing the unit.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: They are replacing the Navi unit

msu79gt82 said:
Our MDX is in the shop to replace a faulty SRS sensor in the passenger seat. Since it was in the shop I asked them to look at the Trip History problem while it was there anyway:rolleyes:

The Auto ReSet w/ Fillup "mysteriously" turned itself off while it was there!! So now they at least can confirm the problem. Since they do not know what is wrong, but it is wrong, they are replacing the unit.
Very lucky!

My '02 did the reset thing several times (3 or 4) in the first few months, but hasn't done it since then. I really think it's a software problem (software/firmware is my gig), so I don't think swapping the unit will do anything unless:
  1. The software version is different (not necessarily more recent!).
  2. The bug is dependent on something flaky in a connection, which gets reconnected properly.
  3. The bug is only encountered due to a particular usage pattern / scenario, which you change after the swap.
    [/list=1] But good luck anyway!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
RE: Navi Replacement

1) I thought the software was resident in the unit? Replacing the entire unit should necessitate new software. The prior attempt to "fix" the problem involved reprogramming the unit.
2) Who knows if its a connection problem or not; but the Nav works perfectly - its only the Trip History that is on the fritz which suggests a software problem.
3) This has been an ongoing problem for well over a year now - we have tried using the Trip History several differnet ways (although there is not too many ways one can check/use Trip History). Usage pattern does not seem to be an issue - it worked fine for almost a year.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: RE: Navi Replacement

msu79gt82 said:
1) I thought the software was resident in the unit? Replacing the entire unit should necessitate new software. The prior attempt to "fix" the problem involved reprogramming the unit...
Not to quibble (but here I go anyway), even if the software resides in the replaced module, that doesn't mean you're getting a different version of software. It could be the exact same version, in which case you might just have the same bug. The bug might be a coding bug (which would effect every module with the same version) OR a manufacturing error (like a bad memory location) (which might only effect one single or small lot of modules).

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
That's possible ...

... however if it were "a coding bug (which would effect every module with the same version) OR a manufacturing error (like a bad memory location) (which might only effect one single or small lot of modules)" then I would think that more of us would have experienced the problem. Although I am not the only one (as evidenced by this thread) this is not a widespread problem.

In any event nothing else has helped so why not give this a try?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
We had our trip computer replaced to solve the "auto clear of trip history" problem. This was done about 2 months ago. A couple of days ago the system changed reset on fillup from yes to no and cleared the trip history for us.

Sooooo, guess that did not fix the problem for us. We'll have them look again at the next serving but I am not terribly optimistic.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts